Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Motivational/positive mental attitude etc books...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 23:15 - 22 Feb 2006    Post subject: Motivational/positive mental attitude etc books... Reply with quote

Okay I think I got a attitude problem after a few bad years and some recent bad times and rather than sitting around feeling sorry for meself I'd rather try and see the positive side of things... just wondered if anyone has read any of these types of books on PMA (positive mental attitude) or "success" type motivation etc books... mostly so I can get my work/college/career life in order as I can't be fooked with it at the minute but can't afford to not be fooked with it Laughing

I'm sure a few people here have mentioned some in the past...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

m99dws
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:18 - 22 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not read any myself but recall Kriss Akabusi doing some conferences on it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

illusion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:45 - 22 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0735202850/qid=1140648388/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/203-4666577-9975116

I've heard it is very good.

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:08 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read quite a few of them some years ago...
"Feel The Fear And Do It Anyway" amongst others

I don't remember much about the details of the advice, but they gave me some motivation to get out of the dead end job that I was in, get back to college and study for qualifications for a better job etc

Result?? I changed job and almost doubled my wages within 18 months

Go for it mate! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

akaDAVE
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:58 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not read any books on the subject but I am a firm beleiver in positive thinking and reckless self belief.
It has got me through times and situations where I would otherwise have folded.
My problem is that I need to be more self motivated when I'm secure financially and mentally, rather than just being motivated and positive when I've had nothing to lose.

greatmoorred
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:34 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

American psycho Shocked

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 15:23 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if they are any good but Paul Macenna (spelling?) has a couple out i think.

Apparntly best sellers. Wink Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:13 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

They can be quite useful. But only if you ensure that what you are reading, you evaluate and decide if its going to work for you.

I'm a big believer in the power of positive thinking, although its sometimes difficult to motivate oneself.

Don't get so carried away with those books that you end up believing all the clap-trap that gets banged into peoples heads at those motivational meetings. You'll just end up sounding like a gospel meeting : "Hallelujah! I'm so wonderful and incredibly organised and together in my life!" Bollocks, nobody's life goes perfectly all the time.

But flicking through some of those books is an interesting and useful way to improve your mentality when things AREN'T going how you'd like them to.

lozzypop1
Certified MILF!

PostPosted: 00:24 - 28 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul mckenna's voice is irritating at best. However, hypnotherapy can help (Honestly, my other halfs a hypnotist and he does loads of work on me Laughing )
if you go to whichever download program you use, you can get some really good results by searching hypnotic, hypnosis, subliminal, etc
just give yourself a half hour or so a day to listen to the various suggestions and i can assure you, you will feel motivated quickly.
good luck and let us know how you get on! xXx

Fortuna
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:23 - 28 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am at this very moment having cognitve therapy for anxiety. There are some very good books out there you just need to research a bit.
Don't go for celebrities like Paul McKenna as they write for money and it's not the right solution to what you need.
Anything by Gillian Butler is usually good.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:21 - 28 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Books ? , there are some good ones out there I recall a few by Alain De Bottain , , what it boils down to is this:

THIS IS YOUR LIFE AND ITS ENDING ONE MINUTE AT A TIME

= Life is short , too short for wallowing in misery

A quip from Alain De Bottain

=Wealthy people in the past after dinner used to call their servants to carry around the bones of their ancestors , it reminded them that life was not forever and to focus on the important things in life

My bit

this has a parrallel with life ie when somebody has a nasty illness ie Cancer , and they suddenly drop everything that seemed important and focus their energies and time on things like family.

Fortuna
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:53 - 28 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:

this has a parrallel with life ie when somebody has a nasty illness ie Cancer , and they suddenly drop everything that seemed important and focus their energies and time on things like family.

Exactly what I've done Sad

danzai66
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:46 - 28 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

good for you fortuna.

i've got a background in psychology and it's good to see people sorting themselves out.

Cognitive behavioural therapy can help get rid of repetitive thought patterns by changing the form and content of these thoughts.

we all have a 'fight or flight' system in the lower reaches of our brain, it's when it goes wrong that problems arise. hence the feelings of anxiety in otherwise non-stressful situations.

the brain is like any other organ, if it's 'broke', fix.

lozzypop1
Certified MILF!

PostPosted: 01:41 - 07 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparks...... any joy???
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 57 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1