Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

NO THERMOSTAT????

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

lee125
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 25 Feb 2006    Post subject: NO THERMOSTAT???? Reply with quote

hi,i have a dtr 125 and i am running it with no thermostat and i was just woundering if this could do any damage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

-Savage-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:58 - 25 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

with the thermostat bypassed so the fan and pump is always on?

i dare say if the fan is always on, you will be fine, but if the fan doesnt come on, you run risk of overheating.

theshmoo
Bottomless Pit

PostPosted: 23:02 - 25 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fan runs from a different switch. The only thing that will happen is you bike will take longer to heat up.

MattEMulsion
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:50 - 26 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you running it with no thermostat? It is fitted for a reason you know.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:57 - 26 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean the fan switch or the thermostatic valve.

If it is the latter, you will need to leave it a lot longer to warm up. It shouldn't be getting too hot at this time of year. Why did you take it out?

lee125
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:12 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

it stopped opening so i took it out and hav not been able to get one yet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:23 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it shouldn't do any real harm providing you are sure to warm the bike up thoroughly every time.

How did you find out it wasn't opening? It is unusual for one to fail without showing obvious signs of damage. There is virtually nothing there to break.

You need to have it sat in a pan of BOILING water for a good 10-15 minutes to see if it opens properly.

lee125
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:18 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats what i did,i saw that the bike seemed to be overheating a little, and i felt the radiator and it was cold and when i took the lid of the radiotor the water was not flowing round,so i took out the thermostat and put it in boiling water and it still did not open and i left it in for 15minutes and nothing happened it was still completly shut
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 64 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1