Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Filtering case

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jonwig
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:56 - 26 Feb 2006    Post subject: Filtering case Reply with quote

I just read in MCN that a guy convinced a court that a driver that knocked him off his bike while he was filtering was 100% to blame for the accident!

The biker had to do a lot of evidence collecting and challenge every witness statement to win though!

If this was publicized more widely we might get a change in actions of some drivers. Twice this week I've had drivers edging over to block me while filtering through long slow moving (less than 5 MPH) traffic cues.

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 16:37 - 26 Feb 2006    Post subject: Re: Filtering case Reply with quote

Jonwig wrote:
If this was publicized more widely we might get a change in actions of some drivers. Twice this week I've had drivers edging over to block me while filtering through long slow moving (less than 5 MPH) traffic cues.

I always rev and show my presence when they do this, if they carry on give them the finger when you pass them,

Next time they will think twice about blocking a bike Thumbs Up

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 17:45 - 26 Feb 2006    Post subject: Re: Filtering case Reply with quote

Andy C wrote:
I always rev and show my presence when they do this, if they carry on give them the finger when you pass them,

Next time they will think twice about blocking a bike Thumbs Up

If someone gives you the finger what does it make you feel? Do you think 'Wow, I've been a real cunt, I'd better not do that (whatever it was) again'. Or, do you think 'That guy was a cock, I want to gut his dog'?

Stay calm, polite and do not antagonise them. If anything, give them a quick wave as you go past and maybe, just maybe they will move out of the next bikers way instead of trying even harder to block them/run them off the road.

GSXR_Warrior
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:48 - 26 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find that more often than not drivers will move over to let me through. I usually wave and thank them. Does help that I have a GSXR600 and always ride with the headlights on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 17:54 - 26 Feb 2006    Post subject: Re: Filtering case Reply with quote

McJamweasel wrote:
If someone gives you the finger what does it make you feel? Do you think 'Wow, I've been a real cunt, I'd better not do that (whatever it was) again'. Or, do you think 'That guy was a cock, I want to gut his dog'?

Yes, i see your point but they do move in your way purely out of spite, im not talking about the ones that are just in the middle of the road but the one that see you and move into you path just to make it hard and more of a danger for you.

I would much rather talk to them about their actions but i doubt they would stop for me to discuss it.

I just find it hard to be poilite to someone that is using childish tatics on roads where people well being is a stake, waving them isnt going to make them change there ways i dont think but thats just my opion ....

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git

PostPosted: 18:28 - 26 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone tried this with me not so long ago, so I stopped next to him and tapped on his window. It surprised the crap out of him, as did the polite way I asked why he was trying to kill a motorcyclist and pointed out that in fact it would have been just as easy (and safer) for him to move to the left and left me through. Cool

insanefox
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:41 - 26 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol nice1 its happened to me alot,i guess its something you just have to get use to
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

headlamp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:55 - 26 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

When filtering say between lane 2&3 in heavy traffic, I reckon 30% will move over, 50% are just not aware you're there, despite high viz & headlights, and 20% are bloody-minded and are aware but WON'T move.

I think it's important to thank anyone who moves over for you - with a wave or a nod....and those that are bloody-minded - usually just a shake of the head.

distortion
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 09:20 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone find any more information on this ?

Ive looked on BBC news & even the mcn site but nothing - i know someone who it would help.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

byke95
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:34 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

distortion wrote:

Ive looked on BBC news & even the mcn site but nothing - i know someone who it would help.

It's in MCN this week...

RickHolt
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 09:46 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had to filter up the motorway to Bradford. I filter quite often have never had so many people move over for me as I have today.

I don't like the way most people see a bike coming, think they'll help, and pull the other way. They appear to do it without thinking about what they could be pulling into.

So before making comments like
Quote:
and 20% are bloody-minded and are aware but WON'T move
think about whether they needed to move anyway, how much time they had to make proper observations and move carefully and have they even got space to move?

Any time someone does something and you get all annoyed and think you're much better than them, stop and think about why they just did was they did. Alot of the time there was a reason, even if you couldn't see it. Maybe they're a better driver than you and have seen something that you've missed?

Then again they are 'cagers' so they must be useless Confused

Rick.

Stevie GooGs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:23 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It happens both ways, i have had many truck and car drivers move right over to let me through. If filtering a lot i will flash my passing light a few times to let the drivers in front know i am there (seems to work well).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

headlamp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:48 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

RickHolt wrote:
So before making comments like
Quote:
and 20% are bloody-minded and are aware but WON'T move
think about whether they needed to move anyway, how much time they had to make proper observations and move carefully and have they even got space to move?

Rick.

The 20% I was referring to (in the main) are when you are between lane 1&2 or 2&3. The car 'juts out' or is not in line with the car in front. I/you have slowed to a halt, and you maybe 'blip' the throttle, they see you in the mirror, there is room for them to pull in but they don't. It's just being bloody mindness. Rolling Eyes

Jonwig
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:28 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

byke95 wrote:
distortion wrote:

It's in MCN this week...

Yeah it's in the paper that came out on Wednesday. It looks like he had to spend a lot of effort to prove his case. Sad

Jman
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:56 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Re: Filtering case Reply with quote

Jonwig wrote:
I just read in MCN that a guy convinced a court that a driver that knocked him off his bike while he was filtering was 100% to blame for the accident!

definatly a step in the right direction Thumbs Up

i think sometimes car drivers just get jealous that they can't filter and they take the view that "if they can't, you can't either" it's selfish and unfair to motorcyclists having a car pull into their path with such dubious intentions....

steveh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:32 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont really have a problem here, as there is a few bikes around.
In some cases, ive been driving down a road following a car, and thev'e pulled in and indactated to let me past, i move past and give a thumbs up.

I guess is different from place to place.

Steve.

Grubby
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:25 - 28 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a Busa, near enough everything gets out of the way when they see it's headlight in the mirror.

kwacky
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:56 - 07 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful about this case. I've found no other reports on it (belive me, I've had our information officer at work look for it, and she knows her onions) and MCN refuse to discuss it with me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 20:01 - 07 Mar 2006    Post subject: Re: Filtering case Reply with quote

Jonwig wrote:
I just read in MCN that ...

I suppose it COULD be true but it was in MCN, so...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 26 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1