Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

save money on fuel now!!!!!! good link.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

puremagic72
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:22 - 26 Feb 2006    Post subject: save money on fuel now!!!!!! good link. Reply with quote

Interesting site , please send this to everyone you know.

www.pipelinecard.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git

PostPosted: 19:32 - 26 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to say this but, it's been on here before Rolling Eyes

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=65563

and

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=74157

ISLAND GIRL
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:33 - 26 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep and still not got cheaper fuel Confused
anders This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:46 - 26 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes but if they give a discount, they get near 100% of those 200,000 people's custom. Rolling Eyes Whichever company took it on would definitely stand to make money from it.

The only problem I can see is if this really takes off, other people are going to want it. They are going to want the discount without the card.
anders This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:58 - 26 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're in a minority then. If fuel went up by 0.5p tonight, it would make tomorrow's front page and there would probably be another strike.

It won't be limited to one station; it will apply to 1 of 3 petrol distributors, who distribute to many stations. Most likely it will be BP or Shell. Depending on which company would get the contract, Tesco etc would also get the discount.

m99dws
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:49 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Anders, it's fine on paper but pointless in reality.
The retailers don't make up the majority of the cost, the government do. So unless you have a way to reduce the tax, the scheme is just another way to harvest email addresses.

If Esso win the scheme and 500,000 people buy there, Shell BP etc simply lower prices to match it - that cancels it all out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 14:51 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

m99dws wrote:
If Esso win the scheme and 500,000 people buy there, Shell BP etc simply lower prices to match it - that cancels it all out.

But surely the point of this is to get cheaper fuel, so if that does happen then its acheived its goal.

Jman
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:41 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheaper fuel is all good Thumbs Up don't we have like the worst fuel prices in the EU? and i think even the yanks get cheaper fuel....

but as has already been said, the government is responsible for the large majority of the cost of fuel with taxes etc etc. what we really need is to get the government to reduce tax......

(unlikely, i know)

m99dws
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:46 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

McJamweasel wrote:
m99dws wrote:

But surely the point of this is to get cheaper fuel, so if that does happen then its acheived its goal.

To be realistic, saving 1p per litre when I fill the car up saves me 47p. So to shop at 1 garage that might be 8 miles out of my way, I can save 47p.

I wouldn't pick 47p up if I saw it on the floor in the street.

I use 1 tank about every 2 weeks so 47p x 26 = £12 a year saving.

Like I said, great theory, but overall lacking in any real benefit.

biker-dj
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:37 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was on Meridian news tonight, Ben Scammel and another site Meridian news mentioned was www.petrolprices.com - I think that was the site anyway.

Dan 4RR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:40 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jman wrote:
cheaper fuel is all good Thumbs Up don't we have like the worst fuel prices in the EU? and i think even the yanks get cheaper fuel....
Both Germany & the Netherlands pay about equivilant of what England pays. If I remember correctly they pay 1.32 euros/per litre which is about 89-90 pence/per litre in England (or up where I live anyways...) America pays around 25-35pence/per litre I think for petrol.

biker-dj
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:45 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the cost is duty levied by the government - when someone showed me the traiff code for petrol I couldn't believe how much duty it was. Twisted Evil

Retro-Man
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:51 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

not being funy but your all kinda missing the point.
read through the old topics about this to understand why this could be an effective way of forcing government to reduce tax on fuel.

from old thread
"It's not really about getting any card or piece of plastic, it is however about power (buyer power to be precise).

the theory for those that don't already know is that by collating a huge list of motorists who would be willing to participate, the organisers can effectively hold to ransom one specific petrol company of there choosing (mid sized being best) and either pledge allegience to that company for cardholders or more likely threaten to pledge allegience to another major company. In theory at least the approached company will drop their price accordingly thus triggering a price war.

it also acts as a demonstation to the government of how large a proportion of motorists no longer accept the massive tax levied on fuel.

It's kind of a three way "guns at high noon" affair.

it certainly deserves our support.........."

"as we all know the government do NOT listen to the majority, instead ploughing on with what a small number of people believe is right.
By directly attacking the UK petrol suppliers (who make a small profit compared to government tax) then the initial expected outcome is a price war and the relevent price drops this brings.

What should in theory then happen is that the large petrol companies will have no choice but to join forces with each other and also the motorist by applying pressure on the government to lower tax.
from the governments point of view, faced with the threat of major petrol companies going bust and the ensuing economic disaster it would be preferable to cut tax"

Retro-Man
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:27 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

anders wrote:

that site would have 8 million users signed up, but it doesn't it has 200,000! and has probably been posted on every single motoring forum in the UK!!!!

thats only because us brits are so good at complaining but no good at ever actually doing something,

ooh follow a link and sign up, ooh not me too much effort involved Twisted Evil

alec_h
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:40 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retro-Man wrote:

it also acts as a demonstation to the government of how large a proportion of motorists no longer accept the massive tax levied on fuel. "

The government wont lose out in anyway, unless they drop the taxes on fuel, which i doubt they will becauses they are money hungry bastards (like the rest of us, just we work for our money)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 61 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1