Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

shocking mountain rescue

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jman
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:20 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: shocking mountain rescue Reply with quote

did anyone read yesterday (feb. 26th) about the family that took their 2, 3 and 5 year old children up snowdonia? they were carrying the 2 year old in a back pack because he/she? had passed out from cold Shocked they were rescued by an RAF SAR helicopter from RAF Valley. one of the crew was quoted as saying how worried they were about the lil' one since she apparently came so close to dying......

i tried to find the story on the net, but i couldn't.

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 16:27 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Re: shocking mountain rescue Reply with quote

Jman wrote:
...i tried to find the story on the net, but i couldn't.

I heard this story on Radio 5.
There's a link to the story from BBC Wales here (clicky click text link).

Apparently family went up expecting to catch the train down. The trains don't run in winter! Rolling Eyes Doh!

HTH Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Jman
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:34 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah thats great thanks, i was looking through the BBC site, but obviously failed to look in the right section somehow Confused cheers for the link dude Thumbs Up

it is reckless though, i mean who takes a 2 year old up a mountain in the middle of winter? Neutral

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 16:45 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jman wrote:

it is reckless though, i mean who takes a 2 year old up a mountain in the middle of winter? Neutral

There was a substantial group of adults with the children.

If they had kept the child walking, as opposed to carrying her then there wouldn't have been anywhere near as much of an issue.

I disagree with the Welsh Minister's comments regarding Snowdon and the requirement for ice axes and crampons. The MR team managing the rescue would have been in no more than boots and team uniform. There are several whacking big paths up Snowdon which physically fit children are more than capable of walking up, even during winter.

We had far more call outs during the summer months from people wandering up the Brecons with no water wearing nothing but a pair of shorts, a t-shirt and sandels than we ever had during winter, dragging their kids wearing jelly shoes behind them. These never made the news because there were so many of them, something like this in the winter is made an issue of because it's just so much more rare.

Edit: Trevor Preece is an absolute dude, he used to ride up to us on his very shiny red 748 Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:01 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do it all the bloody time in Scotland. And die.

The last time I went up some Munroes (which was some time ago) it was at the end of November. Myself and two mates went up there in good walking boots and laden down with packs containing ropes, sleeping bags, bivvy bags, food and an ice-axe. ie. enough to get us down if it cut-up rough or to stay there overnight if there was an emergency.

Get to the plateaux between two peaks and there is a guy sitting in the lee of a rock, by himself, dressed in jeans, trainers and a bomber jacket. Apparently he had a sore ankle and his mates were going on to do the next peak before coming back down past to pick him up.

We sat there for a bit and ate our lunch 'till his four 'mates' came back down. Not a single bit of equipment on any of them.

Made me wonder if they went back home and told all their mates about this bunch of wankers they met on their walk with ice-axes and ropes. Neutral

-Savage-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:06 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

just as testiment of how dangerous mountains can be, an SAS instructor was with a bunch or SAS applicants, doing an all night march over Pen Y Fen, in the Brecon Beacons in Wales, weather turned sh1t, and he hadnt got proper equipment with him. He was found dead by a group of soldiers who were bringing up the rear.

Jman
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:22 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

regardless they could have done better prep work IMO. i think thats the real issue, undertaking such a challenge at a time of year when weather conditions are naturally going to extreme, background research and proper preparation are essential and if they had done any real preparation they would have found out their egress route wasn't viable.

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 21:42 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

SavageKymco wrote:
just as testiment of how dangerous mountains can be, an SAS instructor was with a bunch or SAS applicants, doing an all night march over Pen Y Fen, in the Brecon Beacons in Wales, weather turned sh1t, and he hadnt got proper equipment with him. He was found dead by a group of soldiers who were bringing up the rear.

That may be what you have heard, but it is not the truth. There has never been a death on Pen-Y-Fan when the services have used it, simply because the MR team are on stand by for the duration of any activity that is taking place.

greatmoorred
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:57 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

scousers i believe !

-Savage-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:40 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annabella wrote:

That may be what you have heard, but it is not the truth. There has never been a death on Pen-Y-Fan when the services have used it, simply because the MR team are on stand by for the duration of any activity that is taking place.

as far as i know it was in "who dares wins" the origonal version, il check it up tonight, but im pretty sure thats the book it was in...

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:45 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

FFS, it's only snowdon. Used to do a round trip from llanberis to the summit and down again in under 3 hours in any weather.

BlackSheep
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:19 - 28 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That may be what you have heard, but it is not the truth. There has never been a death on Pen-Y-Fan when the services have used it,

I'm from Brecon and i know of several deaths from the army training up there
at least 2 of them were from the selection for the 22 S.A.S regiment

All reported in the local news and one of my relatives organises all the infantry training courses out of brecon

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:25 - 28 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

greatmoorred wrote:
scousers i believe !

Your point being?

-Savage-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:46 - 28 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ei ei, calm down, calm down!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/liverpool/content/images/2005/01/31/voices_scousers_200x150.jpg

greatmoorred
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:56 - 01 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

well ,im off to my dads on anglesey this weekend, and the place will be invaded with scousers from now until october. Cant get a seat in his local now Sad

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 23:51 - 02 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

greatmoorred wrote:
will be invaded with scousers from now until october

Do explain?

And the problem with this area of wales is, like today even with snow its been pretty warm all day (i was playing in the snow in a tshirt and jeans with no gloves and was fine for 2 hours), as soon as you get into the mountains the temperature plummets.

You can leave Bangor (where i am) on the bike in reasonable sunny weather, having no problems, you get just past bethesda and it gets abit nippy, you get to ogwen lake and your legs stop working.

And it only seems to get worse to be honest. And thats at sea level. The mountains have been snow capped for about a month now.

Taking kids up there was stupid i have to admit, 10 year olds and up maybe. But a 2 year old? Why would you do that.
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

greatmoorred
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:21 - 03 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do explain?

All the caravan sites are now opening for the season, so everyone will be piling onto the island.
Im sure you know that all the pubs put at least 10p on a pint too. Wink

msgander
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:13 - 03 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

blimey! My 6 year old would never keep walking that long!! Probs do it in the summer but most 2 year olds these days havent got that sort of stamina or will power!!

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 14:03 - 03 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

greatmoorred wrote:
Quote:
Do explain?

All the caravan sites are now opening for the season, so everyone will be piling onto the island.
Im sure you know that all the pubs put at least 10p on a pint too. Wink

If they do in Bangor ill bludgen them with a fish.

Theres a pub here that serves Castlemaine for 95p a pint... Confused

Tastes a bit cheesy though Laughing
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 87 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1