Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

daz|n00by
The Internet

PostPosted: 16:27 - 01 Mar 2006    Post subject: Unix Reply with quote

Any body use this?
whats it like?
what are its advantages over windows or Linux?
Were do you get it?
is it compatible with usual programmes?
do driver company's make drivers for this OS?

Think that about covers it Wink

any info would be gratefully received

shorty
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:47 - 01 Mar 2006    Post subject: Re: Unix Reply with quote

daz|n00by wrote:
Any body use this?
whats it like?
Were do you get it?

Think that about covers it Wink

any info would be gratefully received

If you have to ask then you don't want it!!

Basically it is the OS used for Sun workstations - Linux being a version coded to work on PC type equipment. Wikipedia

HTH Shorty

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:01 - 01 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

unix and linux are very closely related but i wouldnt sudgest trying to install it on anything. You are better off going with a supported distribution such as Fedora, RedHat, suse etc...

daz|n00by
The Internet

PostPosted: 17:02 - 01 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you have to ask then you don't want it!!

I think that is one of the most ridiculous statements i have ever heard.

If i dont ask then i will never know! If nobody asked what was xp about then people wouldnt use it, i would like to look into it not so much as a OS for me but because i like to learn about such things.

The man who never ask's never learns.

shorty
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:37 - 01 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

daz|n00by wrote:

I think that is one of the most ridiculous statements i have ever heard.

If i dont ask then i will never know! If nobody asked what was xp about then people wouldnt use it, i would like to look into it not so much as a OS for me but because i like to learn about such things.

The man who never ask's never learns.

I meant it in the sense of if you need to ask how much it cost then you can't afford it, and to be fair I gave you a link to a comprehensive wikipedia page.

I agree with you that if you don't ask questions you'll never learn, however most people who use unix have a specific reason - normally that they have to work with it or are studying to work with it. It is the backbone of the internet - if you have ever telnetted into a server the chances are you were talking to a Unix box - and the OS was designed with networked systems in mind.

By all means investigate Unix, however you will need to buy all new hardware (generally a SUN workstation) and learn a completely different way of operating a computer than you would be used to from the normal Windows or MacOS environment.

To answer your questions

Quote:
Any body use this?

Yes, lot's of people. Generally high end users - programmers and the like

Quote:
whats it like?

It's a text based interface - think MS-DOS with bells and whistles

Quote:

It is the backbone of the internet and a very powerful tool, however for home use or for a casual user none. Similair (for all intents and purposes identical) to Linux
Quote:
Were do you get it?

It will generally come from whoever supplies your unix box, or you can probably get the new versions of Solaris (unix GUI) from Sun
Quote:

What are "usual programmes". Obviously it won't run Windows programmes although there are alternatives.
Quote:

I think Unix is supported in the same way as Linux i.e. drivers are made by users when/if needed, but i'm not sure.

Hope that's more helpful.

Shorty

tokarev
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:24 - 01 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to use it for some of my university courses. It is command line. So you have to learn lots of commands to use it. Sorry I can't really say much more on the subject as I am a novice at unix! Laughing

Here is a screenshot showing a couple of basic commands (telnet to my university unix account).

https://img402.imageshack.us/img402/5508/unixtelnetuni0hw.jpg

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:14 - 01 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linux is a unix OS. Technically it's not, but you don't need to know why.

There are other 'free' unices besides Linux, the main ones being FreeBSD and NetBSD. These 'different' operating systems actually use the same software, so do not really differ much from the user's point of view.

commercial unices tend use their own software, but it mostly works in the same way as the open source stuff. However they are more 'integrated', so feel more like an actual operating system than a collection of different pieces of software. I think some of the modern unices also tend to be more graphically based (eg Solaris, Irix).

Shorty strikes me as somewhat of a bullshitter, but he is right in that Unix operating systems run on Unix hardware. Old Sun hardware is available very cheap on eBay, and you should be able to get something that comes with a version of Solaris either installed or on media (though I think you can download Solaris for free now anyway). The other most widely available unix hardware are SGIs.

To be honest, I have a Sun workstation and I run Debian linux on it. I also have an old HP box, which if I can ever be bothered to get working will also run Debian. There is no real reason to use a commercial *nix system in this day and age, as the GNU software is generally better than anything being sold by the 'old guard'. Before I stuck Debian on the Sun I had a poke around with the /old/ version of Solaris on it, and whilst it was interesting to see how the system was arranged differently and how the software was inferior, it would have been a pain in the arse to use for any practical purpose.

The only thing that would tempt me away from linux is the Hurd, however last time I looked it was still in its infancy and not a realistic proposition for a usable system. I wouldn't have thought it really has much of a chance of gaining popularity really Sad Linux is popular, but most of its users are not really interested in the philosophy of free software. I doubt that business will get behind the Hurd, as for them it will be tainted with the liberal doctrine of the FSF compared to the relatively business-friendly linux.

shorty
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:22 - 01 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nath wrote:

Shorty strikes me as somewhat of a bullshitter,

Don't really see what I did to deserve that TBH! I was just trying to help daz|n00by - not very current with unix, just trying to get what I knew across.

Good response though!! Taught me something, anyway Thumbs Up

Shorty

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:00 - 02 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, that was probably a bit harsh.

A large proportion of people who take an (unhealthy) interest in the Internet try installing linux at some point or another. They try blatting around in KDE or Gnome for a bit, then get bored and go back to windows - However whenever anyone mentions linux they will jump at the chance to educate us all based on their vast array of experience Rolling Eyes Obviously you are not one of these people, but the people described above are one of my pet hates and really get on my tits, so when I noticed some inaccurate statements I couldn't help but stick in the knife.

I am always very careful to avoid giving an opinion about things I do not truly know about unless I clearly state that is the case.

The Internet is the very thing that effectively killed off legacy Unix. For a start, it allowed independent developers to work together from across the globe to create Linux and other open source software. However in the age of the internet, the web is king. Nobody is going to pay big money for a Unix server and software license, when you can run linux on cheap PCs which perform perfectly adequately for running webservers on. I don't remember the statistics, but the majority of the web is hosted on Linux boxes running Apache, with much of the remainder being on Windows IIS. Unix makes up only a tiny tiny minority. This is precisely the reason why Sun Microsystems brought out their own Linux distribution - To get back into the webserver market.

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:42 - 02 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep an old Sparc Ultra-2 around to experiment on (usually running NetBSD<--link), unless you are looking at web or mail serving it has pretty much no real place in the home to be honest. In terms of usability, pretty much zero outside of certain rigidly defined deliniations. What it does it does mindblowingly well though, my firewall project was a stripped down freeBSD install, uptime of around 3 years. If you are serious about learning more then NetBSD is one of the better ones (in my opinion at least), and certainly relatively user friendly. Download it and see how you go.

Going to have to ask Daz, are you now looking at expanding into the realms of hosting your collection? That's pretty much the only reason I can think of that you'd want a box like that online Razz

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 00:48 - 02 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly OT, but has anyone here managed to get the x86 version of OSX working on a pc? I've been meaning to try it but for various reasons my downloads keep fucking up.

Suzuki
Roger

PostPosted: 10:39 - 02 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

shorty wrote:
I meant it in the sense of if you need to ask how much it cost then you can't afford it

That's bullshit I'm afraid.

Sun has released Solaris 10 for free. And it's not just CLI, there's a GUI if you want it.

Can download CD or DVD ISO's for x86 systems from here:
https://www.sun.com/software/solaris/

Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

shorty
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:49 - 02 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzuki wrote:

Sun has released Solaris 10 for free. And it's not just CLI, there's a GUI if you want it.

The point I was trying to make is that most people wouldn't want to get into Unix as a whim without knowing anything about it - hence my (ill advised) "If you don't know what it is, you don't want it" comment. I then tried to draw parallels with a common statement for expensive consumer goods (for example Ferrari's, Bugatti's etc) that "if you need to ask how much it costs, you can't afford it.

I wasn't for a second suggesting that Solaris etc. OS's were expensive.

As I said I was just trying to help the guy to the extent of my (admittedly limited) knowledge, as no-one else was coming forward. Nath has stepped in and furnished the OP with a very comprehensive answer, so everything's good.

Shorty
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 57 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1