Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Review - X-planes 8 - Flight Sim Fans See Inside

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore

PostPosted: 18:03 - 01 Mar 2006    Post subject: Review - X-planes 8 - Flight Sim Fans See Inside Reply with quote

Flight Sims are getting horifically advanced these days, with every little function of every button and lever incorporated into the flight models of real world aircraft flying from real world airports, Microsoft have released several incredible versions of their Flight sim, that mirrors the real world Aircraft in the smallest detail.

But we're not here to talk about Microsoft Flightsim, we're here to talk about a less well known, but better (in my opinion) flight simulator - X-planes V8, developed by Laminar Research.

This is no game, it's a flight simulator - the only PC flight simulator to be approved by the Federal Aviation Authority. this simulator is so advanced, that as the website proudly boasts, it's used by aircraft manufacturers, space agencies, and pilots the world over - it's so goot that time spent on the software actually counts towards flight simulator experience when under controlled conditions.

So what else makes it so good?
the graphics for a start, as with many modern games, the graphics are totally amazing - more than enough to overwhelm even a 128mb card. Couple this with the fact that you can configure the game to run on multiple monitors, and you begin getting an idea of what the software's like.

What else? Well, then there's the aircraft. You get 29 beautifully detailed aircraft with the game, and several thousand are available to download for FREE. Flying thousands of different aircraft from thousands of airports, it's THAT good.

X planes 8 comes with what they call V7 software - based on sattelite photo information and laser land altimiter (i forget the real term), X planes successfully replicates the smallest details in the lay of the land, the world over, and that's not all. In addition, X planes includes real flight physics and terrain data, allowing you to fly across the surface of mars, and includes several specially designed aircraft just for this purpose.

So what aircraft can you fly?
Well, just about anything, anything at all. The game comes with the Boeing 767, several helicopters, the F22, the X35 and even the SR-71 and Space Shuttle! If it flies, microlight, airliner, fighter, airship, gyrocopter, cargo plane, you can download it and fly it in the game.

The game also includes utilities to design and create your own aircraft, and because of the way the simulator works - the flight model is calculated from the actual effect of each control on the aircraft, as opposed to being a generic flight model - if the aircraft lost a tailfin, you'd notice the difference, and the change in dynamics would be modelled down to the last detail - aircraft manufacturers have used the software to test their new aircraft before building a prototype!

So here's a quick screenshot, just to show you this beautiful game - but because my computer's a fairly basic system, the screenshot doesn't do the game justice. the graphics on max setting are absolutely incredible. If you've got the computing power (minimum 512gb ram, 8gb hard disc space, 16 meg graphics), I urge you to buy this software - it's incredible - and it's only £35! cheaper than flightsim!!

"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

T1z3R
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:57 - 02 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i couldnt even be arsed reading your post (sorry) so what chance have i got with a flight sim Crying or Very sad

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 15:52 - 02 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

So its not a combat flight sim there not fun Crying or Very sad

I like the combat flight sims where I can go in all guns blazing Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore

PostPosted: 00:38 - 03 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

McGee wrote:
So its not a combat flight sim there not fun Crying or Very sad

I like the combat flight sims where I can go in all guns blazing Shocked

Do the F14 and F-22 then, NOT constitute combat aircraft?
Combat is so detailed you have to arm weapons before you can fire them.

"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 13:43 - 03 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but do I have people trying to shoot at me Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 56 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1