Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Linux on an old PC

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

RobB
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:57 - 02 Mar 2006    Post subject: Linux on an old PC Reply with quote

I've been nothing but a Windows user for years, so after reading the XP vs Linux thread, I have been messing around with Fedora for a few weeks now. So far I've only had it running on a Virtual Machine or two, but have liked what I've seen/learned so far.

Last night I thought I'd try installing it on one of my old PC's to give it a proper go. The PC in question is about 10 years old, 333Mhz CPU, 96Mb RAM, and a graphics card of some sort. The install failed with a strange error. Minimum hardware requirements in the documentation I then read are 192Mb RAM for graphical mode, and a 400Mhz CPU too. Bugger. Most annoyingly, Windows 2000 worked on this machine, albeit slowly.

So, I'd like to know if there's a graphical version of Linux anywhere, made by anyone, and that is free, that will install and run on my aged PC? Or should I just be looking to dig out some old RAM from somewhere and get this one up to speed?

I'd like to think that I'd eventually get the hang of the text version (I love DOS), but to begin with and learn from I'd rather have some sort of pointy-clicky-helpy thing.

Cheers

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:00 - 02 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

stick 256mb in it and it should run fedora fine. Older distributions of Linux would run ok as is but i assume that you are planning on using it as a desktop?

redHat 7 would be as old a version as i would use if you are using the machine as a windows desktop replacement.

RobB
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:18 - 02 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsrmick wrote:
but i assume that you are planning on using it as a desktop?

Not necessarily. It's being installed on this PC because I want to test a few things, and see how Linux works outside of a VMWare session. I have a couple of other Windows-based Servers at the moment, and if Linux could replace those I'd be happy, but it's not essential.

Looking primarily to learn, with the ultimate aim of finding an alternative to Microsoft.

Suzuki
Roger

PostPosted: 12:24 - 02 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going the server route, then install linux without the GUI.

Will need far less resources, and you'll learn how thing *really* work, which will enable you to fix them remotely via SSH when required. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:28 - 02 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sort of server services are you looking to replace?

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:37 - 02 Mar 2006    Post subject: Re: Linux on an old PC Reply with quote

RobB wrote:
I've been nothing but a Windows user for years, so after reading the XP vs Linux thread, I have been messing around with Fedora for a few weeks now. So far I've only had it running on a Virtual Machine or two, but have liked what I've seen/learned so far.

Last night I thought I'd try installing it on one of my old PC's to give it a proper go. The PC in question is about 10 years old, 333Mhz CPU, 96Mb RAM, and a graphics card of some sort. The install failed with a strange error. Minimum hardware requirements in the documentation I then read are 192Mb RAM for graphical mode, and a 400Mhz CPU too. Bugger. Most annoyingly, Windows 2000 worked on this machine, albeit slowly.

So, I'd like to know if there's a graphical version of Linux anywhere, made by anyone, and that is free, that will install and run on my aged PC? Or should I just be looking to dig out some old RAM from somewhere and get this one up to speed?

I'd like to think that I'd eventually get the hang of the text version (I love DOS), but to begin with and learn from I'd rather have some sort of pointy-clicky-helpy thing.

Cheers

Vector Linux is made for those older PC's, I sucessfully installed it on a 333MHz Celeron with 64Mb of RAM and even had a GUI.

Granted it wasn't KDE or Gnome but it was a GUI, IceWM to be exact.

Vector is based on Slackware, so its very stable, and not overly easy to use but its better and easier to install than Slackware.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RobB
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:56 - 02 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

@gsrmick, firstly to replace my FTP server. If all goes well, file and printer sharing would probably be the most of it. I don't have a domain at home, and my router does all the DHCPing and so forth. Was also hopeful of having it as a web server, just for internal purposes. This box was really just supposed to be the test, and if it all went well, I'll probably try and replace two other, better spec'd machines with an uber Linux one.

@Craig-, nice one Thumbs Up , I'll give Vector a try.

@Suzuki, I think you're probably right. I'll enjoy the text way of doing things more in the end (make me feel like a hacker, using telnet and whatnot Wink ). The GUI way would just be far easier to see if it can do everything I want to replace, and for me to learn how to do it. Reccomend any good books for me? Or is the web my friend in this case?

Cheers y'all.

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:18 - 02 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you dont intend on trying to implement a domain using the linux box you will be fine, as a web / ftp server you cant go far wrong with a linux box and the only issues i've had with file sharing using linux boxes is if you use access databases or other software that uses lock files as sometimes they can remain in place requiring manual deletion. apart from the points i mentioned, go for it. Thumbs Up

Suzuki
Roger

PostPosted: 18:03 - 02 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsxrmick wrote:
As long as you dont intend on trying to implement a domain using the linux box you will be fine

What sort of domain do you mean? Samba can operate as an NT domain controller! Razz

RobB wrote:
Reccomend any good books for me?

The O'Reilly books are really good, but not necessarily up-to-date. For learning the basics they're ideal though.

If you're going with Fedora then there are some brilliant documents on the redhat website. Don't forget that almost all the Enterprise Linux documents will relate directly to Fedora. Thumbs Up

If you need any help at any point, PM or MSN me. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:47 - 02 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzuki wrote:
gsxrmick wrote:
As long as you dont intend on trying to implement a domain using the linux box you will be fine

What sort of domain do you mean? Samba can operate as an NT domain controller! Razz

My arse Very Happy have you tried it ??? its shocking compared to active directory.

Suzuki
Roger

PostPosted: 10:59 - 03 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsxrmick wrote:
its shocking compared to active directory.

I said "NT domain controller" not "active directory" Razz

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:10 - 03 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

same thing these days Very Happy you dont get one without the other

Yes it can emulate an nt4 domain but thats not much use these days Very Happy

linux is very good at what it does well, web, ftp etc..., which is'nt trying to be a Windows box. Thumbs Up

Suzuki
Roger

PostPosted: 11:18 - 03 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsxrmick wrote:
linux is very good at what it does well, web, ftp etc..., which is'nt trying to be a Windows box. Thumbs Up

Couldn't agree more. It will eventually be able to do active directory though, just takes time.

Linux isn't trying to be a windows box, but people understand that while windows is the preferrerd desktop of choice, linux as a server needs to provide the same functions that a windows server would...

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 12:18 - 03 Mar 2006    Post subject: Re: Linux on an old PC Reply with quote

RobB wrote:
...if there's a graphical version of Linux anywhere, made by anyone, and that is free, that will install and run on my aged PC?...

I believe PC Plus mag did an article about reusing older PCs with Linux rather than throwing them out. I think this was in the last half of 2005. They included various Linux flavours on the included dvd. I think they still put linux stuff on the disks but not sure if it's always a complete OS install. Might be worth checking out the latest issue and/or back issues.

If I come across the issue and/or the disk I'll PM. Don't hold your breath though, had a clear out recently so may be binned.

Just looked at issue 238 (Jan 06) and that contains 'Mandriva Linux
2006 "Free" Edition DVD ISO image for i586' - see www.mandrivalinux.com
It looks like it's something that may be included on a regular basis. However, I don't know if it'll run on your h/w spec, you'll have to check.

HTH Thumbs Up

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:49 - 03 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzuki wrote:
gsxrmick wrote:

Couldn't agree more. It will eventually be able to do active directory though, just takes time.

Linux isn't trying to be a windows box, but people understand that while windows is the preferrerd desktop of choice, linux as a server needs to provide the same functions that a windows server would...

I agree the main problem i have come accross is when people install a linux box and expect it to completely replace a windows 2000 DC and are pissed off with its limited functionality compared to a Windows server, they very quickly forget how much they saved on licenses Very Happy

For a basic lan setup, web etc they are fine, if you want proper domain functionality it has to be windows at the moment.

Suzuki
Roger

PostPosted: 13:02 - 03 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsxrmick wrote:
limited functionality compared to a Windows server, they very quickly forget how much they saved on licenses Very Happy

For a basic lan setup, web etc they are fine, if you want proper domain functionality it has to be windows at the moment.

I would never describe linux as having "limited functionality".

Linux's inability to control windows hosts comes from Microsoft refusing to release details about how the internals of their systems work.
Besides, provided you're flexible at both ends of the system (server and host) then there is a usable alternative to all of the built-in Windows systems. Thumbs Up

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:12 - 03 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I'll re phrase that Limited Domain Controller Functionality

Show me a samba instalation that can handle group policies. Very Happy

like i said limited functionality Very Happy

I'm not defending windows over Linux, both have a place within a network.

Suzuki
Roger

PostPosted: 15:09 - 03 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

And like I said ... "yet"

Wink

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:46 - 03 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:07 - 04 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

This book I have in my possession might be of use to someone wanting to learn or start with Linux:

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=892502#892502
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RobB
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:22 - 06 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an update. The old machine in question has had some issues. Not enough memory for graphical install, so I started the text based install. Also, it wouldn't boot from the DVD I had, so i had to get the 4 CD's burned. This machine's on a switch box, so I wasn't watching the install, and during the 2nd CD it just rebooted itself. Switched the monitor over, and it was booting. Failed to start from HDD, so obviously something weird has happened somewhere during the install, and it crashed out. Gave up on that one, log files to read at some point.

Have now got fedora installed as dual-boot on a 3Ghz machine. I'm learning how to do everything via a shell, and have a lot of weird questions that are slowing getting answered. The update process was painful via the GUI, but worked like a charm through a shell (yum yum Wink ). It's nice to have a Windows-esque interface for the desktop stuff, but I'd rather learn the text way as I WILL get Linux of some sort installed on the old machine at some point.

Craig-, I'd take you up on that book, but I've managed to find the 5th edition in .chm format. The internet is destroying the second hand market I'm afraid.

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:32 - 06 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tsk, book piracy is bad M'kay. Razz
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 54 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1