Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Rolling roadblocks

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 02:33 - 05 Mar 2006    Post subject: Rolling roadblocks Reply with quote

An item in BIKE this month was on about how you can register with the police and get a bumper sticker which pretty much just says you've vowed to stick to speed limits rigidly.

The thinking behind it, if someone does, then everyone behind that person has to.

BIKE were dead against it, I didn't see their opposition to it really, because that's what everyone should be doing anyway... and surely speeders are in the minority in the majority of places.

One of their arguments was that it'd cause more accidents by people getting pissed off and erratically overtaking, which would again be hyped up by over-zealous sticker-bearers trying to block overtakes.

There are people like this on the road, and in 30s and 40s, I'd say the majority of people in fact... Don't see why a sticker would change anything.

I think BIKE's argument was flawed, and I don't like what the police are trying to do, they'd give the people with stickers some kind of superiority over other road users...

Discuss.

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 02:44 - 05 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and surely speeders are in the minority in the majority of places.

I think you are wrong there. I reckon the vast majority of traffic on our roads drives at roughly 10% over the speed limit.

I also reckon that someone driving like that will cause accidents as people try to overtake them in stupid places. If you aren't going to exceed the stated limit, it stands to reson that a lot of the time you will be driving significantly below it, traffic chaos ensues.

Try it yourself, I have as an exercise (rode from Edinburgh to Carlisle without exceeding any speed limits), you land up with a large queue of frustrated drivers behind you. It is also very difficult.

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:06 - 05 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
you land up with a large queue of frustrated drivers behind you.

Often known as 'restricted moped syndrome'.

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 10:42 - 05 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shall have to test it and see.

I guess +10% is about right for me, that's the upper limit of my speed in 30s and 40s and on the motorway I won't go above 90.

They also said drivers involved in a collision wouldn't be covered by their insurance companies if they wear this sticker.

I didn't really understand that, they're obeying the letter of the law, no reason not to cover them.

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 11:27 - 05 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Think there was a case some time ago of someone trying this on the motorway in the right hand lane. They were prosecuted for something like driving without consideration.

Everyone speeds. If people claim not to speed ever then they are either a liar or so unaware of what they are doing that they haven't noticed. Forcing people to drive below their natural speed will reduce concentration levels and will cause accidents.

All the best

Keith

Retro-Man
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:11 - 05 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

fact is the whole highway code including speed limits are based around very old car technology, most people would agree that far higher speeds under right conditions are perfectly safe.

personally I like to get from a to b quickly but safely which for me means speeding in non built up areas.
If I come up behind someone travelling at the speed limit then that is fine and I observe proper distances, etc however the freaks that drive a vehicle perfectly capable of the speed limit but insist on 40 mph every where annoy me and I believe cause most of the accidents on todays roads.

I have been driving for over 10 years, and find higher speeds on the motorway keep me alert, the one and only time I nearly fell asleep at the wheel was whilst being stuck behind some pillock who refused to go above 65mph in the outside lane.

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:56 - 05 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retro-Man wrote:
fact is the whole highway code including speed limits are based around very old car technology, most people would agree that far higher speeds under right conditions are perfectly safe.

personally I like to get from a to b quickly but safely which for me means speeding in non built up areas.
If I come up behind someone travelling at the speed limit then that is fine and I observe proper distances, etc however the freaks that drive a vehicle perfectly capable of the speed limit but insist on 40 mph every where annoy me and I believe cause most of the accidents on todays roads.

I have been driving for over 10 years, and find higher speeds on the motorway keep me alert, the one and only time I nearly fell asleep at the wheel was whilst being stuck behind some pillock who refused to go above 65mph in the outside lane.

I'll go with that... I believe that if you're well trained, alert, confident and experienced, that riding or driving slightly above a given speed is OK within reason.

The problems start with inexperienced, over-confident, supposedly bullet-proof newbies just nail the throttle at every opportunity.

...and just for the record I've done more training and updating my skills etc since riding bikes than in the previous 17 years in a car
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Finglonga
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:48 - 05 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dazbo666 wrote:

I'll go with that... I believe that if you're well trained, alert, confident and experienced, that riding or driving slightly above a given speed is OK within reason.

The problems start with inexperienced, over-confident, supposedly bullet-proof newbies just nail the throttle at every opportunity.

...and just for the record I've done more training and updating my skills etc since riding bikes than in the previous 17 years in a car

I have been driving over 20 years and never had an accident till 5 weeks ago when an inexperienced, over-confident, supposedly bullet-proof newbies just nail the throttle at every opportunity decided to hit my car head on! the result.....

The missus....2 broken legs broken pelvis and 1 broken arm.

Myself.....Knee shattered and poped thru the skin, both anckles & feet broken and both lungs collapsed. Basically lucky to be here.

Just been sent home, told I can't walk for six months and slightly PISSED OFF!!(sorry) the missus is still in hospital and will be for another 5wks at least!

The thing is the combined colission speed was only 60mph. Not OTT but I believe its not the speed that needs to be changed its the newbies in cars and bikes that pass their test and jump in/onto the fastest thing they can afford and without any training how to handle the power.

Basically we need better training on how to read roads and conditions.

Oh and 60mph did this to my fiesta(the blue one).......

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/finglonga/Carwreck001.jpg

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 16:25 - 05 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Ouch, glad you survived.

A 60mph collision speed is very high. Cars are only crash tested to survive a 35 (I think) mph collision with a solid object.

All the best

Keith

lurker
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:58 - 05 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of those double standards issues.
speedings fine and dandy till someone smacks you side on while travelling 10mph over the limit.
although i h8 nothing more than getting stuck behind someone on a straight A road travelling dead on the limit.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:09 - 05 Mar 2006    Post subject: Re: Rolling roadblocks Reply with quote

Gazdaman wrote:
a bumper sticker which pretty much just says you've vowed to stick to speed limits rigidly.

You can get a sticker which says "My other car is a Porsche/Skoda/Reliant Robin", but thats not especially true, either.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:12 - 05 Mar 2006    Post subject: Re: Rolling roadblocks Reply with quote

Gazdaman wrote:
There are people like this on the road, and in 30s and 40s, I'd say the majority of people in fact...

Fuck off. I'm in that age group, and I hardly ever go less than, ermmmmmmmmmmm ... quite slow, actually.

Laughing

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:40 - 05 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he means limits of 30 and 40 Jen, not ages....... Wink

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:44 - 05 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

*grins*

Well, both apply to me anyway Laughing

tonyyzf
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 08:30 - 06 Mar 2006    Post subject: Re: Rolling roadblocks Reply with quote

Gazdaman wrote:
An item in BIKE this month was on about how you can register with the police and get a bumper sticker which pretty much just says you've vowed to stick to speed limits rigidly.

The thinking behind it, if someone does, then everyone behind that person has to.

I think the last thing we need on the roads is people who think they're better than anyone else trying to dictate what speed we drive at.
In most other cases the Police don't like vigilantes, but this is basically what they're condoning here.
I believe you can be safe at speed, I've been riding for 28 years, I noticed some time ago that the faster you ride the quicker your reactions.
Speed doesn't cause accidents, people do, the kind of people who shouldn't be on the road in the first place, and these are the people who will be sporting the stupid go slow stickers!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 11:13 - 06 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
...I reckon the vast majority of traffic on our roads drives at roughly 10% over the speed limit...

I think you're wrong there.
From experience (in the car) the majority of people will drive on a 60mph (NSL) road at around 45 to 50mph. I find that so frustrating Evil or Very Mad . You're now allowed to take a bike test on a 125cc that isn't capable of 100kph (say 62mph) so why do drivers not go at or to the limit? In fact going along a NSL road at that speed you'd fail the car test for not making sufficient progress.

That said a lot of the people doing around 50mph keep to that speed if the NSL drops to a 40 limit. However, I'm also aware of those that take the opposite position and will drop 10mph below the posted limit. Rolling Eyes

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 13:49 - 06 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I admit I find it annoying when people cause tailbacks by insisting on going within the speed limit or as slow as they feel they are safe with.

However I think usually we should respect their right to drive as slow as they want. I dont see how a sticker changes that.

Personally I think not leaving a 2 second gap is more dangerous than driving 10% over the limit, but you cant really legislate against tailgaters very effectively. If we all left a 4 second gap I bet there would be a huge decrease in accidents.

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:12 - 06 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hasn't this been brought up before? I think it was concluded that the magazines were sensationalising the whole thing; that all it is is the police handing out bumper stickers to OAPs. Rolling Eyes Pretty useless, people will overtake them either way.

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:06 - 06 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless its a 30 or a speed camera, I never drive / ride at the speed limit.

I'll drive at an appropriate speed to keep with the flow of traffic, or if I'm fellinf like a real cnut, nail it hard down the A roads Twisted Evil

TOM M
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:37 - 11 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

lilredmachine wrote:

Often known as 'restricted moped syndrome'.

Brilliant. I havent laughed so hard in ages Thumbs Up Mr. Green

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:16 - 12 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look at the road, not the speedo.

Jack

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:40 - 12 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm booked to do a Speed Awareness Program.
When I pass that no phuker should even hint at passing me.... Evil or Very Mad

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:44 - 12 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper wrote:
I'm booked to do a Speed Awareness Program.

Volountarily or by order of the court?

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:48 - 12 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

By court order

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:49 - 12 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

either that or fine and points rubbish
so I volunteered
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 48 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2