Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Should I break up with my boyfriend?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

bindy
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 05:50 - 06 Mar 2006    Post subject: Should I break up with my boyfriend? Reply with quote

I don't know why I cant make my own decisions when it comes to breaking up with people but I really need advice. I have been with my boy for 3.5 years and its been up and down but we generally love each other I can say that, we are pretty affectionate, and generally hes a nice guy but he never buys me flowers just because, im not ugly, most guys say im gorgeous, im not fat, im nice, (nurse), I ride a cool bike but he just acts like im in the way of his life all the time. He lives with a mate and I have to live with my parents to afford uni. It probably too hard for anyone to know what I should do but I just needed to vent! He never comes out with me, i just go with my friends, we dont do anything exciting together, He says he loves me a lot but if its so shit then why is he so happy and Im so sad?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparky
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 08:33 - 06 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

could just be a phase or it could be deeper. Sounds like your getting more frustrated because he hasnt noticed your unhappy!
You not getting pampered and you want to feel wanted and he isnt giving you that.
If you dont sit down and have a proper feelings type chat you will slowly start going in opposite directions and then you will end it and he will be so surprised because you never said anything.

have a chat and TELL HIM how your feeling, see how it goes. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bindy
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 08:39 - 06 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks spanner but thats just the thing. I have had like 50 conversations with him about this. I get upset and tell him exactly how I feel and he just either dosent get it, or hes really mean. Hes not a mean person. Maybe hes just taking me for granted like all my other boyfriends have in the past. Im just too nice or something! I dont understand men. Its like even if I explain things really simply he still dosent get it.

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 09:20 - 06 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

He probably just loves you unconditionally. If you really want this relationship to change talk to him about it because if you split up with him you will probably break his heart and by the sounds of it, it's not what you want either.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

Sparky
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:52 - 06 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah right!

tell him its driving you away! that it might end the relationship then see what he says, sounds like he is just settled, and doesnt want to realise the truth.

oh and its Sparky not Spanner only my dad calls me a spanner! Very Happy

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 09:57 - 06 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

bindy wrote:
I don't know why I can’t make my own decisions when it comes to breaking up with people but I really need advice. I have been with my boy for 3.5 years and its been up and down but we generally love each other I can say that, we are pretty affectionate, and generally he’s a nice guy but he never buys me flowers just because, im not ugly, most guys say im gorgeous, im not fat, im nice, (nurse), I ride a cool bike but he just acts like im in the way of his life all the time. He lives with a mate and I have to live with my parents to afford uni. It probably too hard for anyone to know what I should do but I just needed to vent! He never comes out with me, i just go with my friends, we don’t do anything exciting together, He says he loves me a lot but if its so shit then why is he so happy and Im so sad?

I’ve highlighted some things in your post, if you are speaking to vent all the truth, this post just shouts out to me, boring….
So you could easily pick up another guy, your bloke may love you and take you for granted, thinking he’s got you where he wants you and probably thinks your pretty happy to. Weird thing is, if you say you are bored and you both need to get some excitement back in your relationship things could get very weird and ruin what you have.
Try a few things out, like a kind of test, see if he puts any effort in. If he doesn’t, then you’re going to have to think whether you want to be with someone who isn’t fulfilling your needs.
Relationships can be doomed from the start, it all depends how much you give and take at the beginning.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 12:43 - 06 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds a bit like the vague complaints of my ex.

it sounds like you want excitement rather than comfy.

If you say to him that unless he starts making it exciting, you will find someone who does make things exciting, he may object to it (as I did) but at least it will give him an opportunity to accept your demands if he wants to. He may see this as you wanting to have things your way (I did), so be ready to do a few things his way in return (not something my ex wanted to do).

Im a bit nervous that he actually uses this forum, in which case I think its a shame you have voiced this publicly.

I think its normal for relationships to become comfy rather than exciting after a while. Maybe you should have a bit more excitement of new relationships before you settle down to have kids as then there will be more reason to just accept comfy.

If you think you can do better, fair enough but if not then accept that the honeymoon period in any relationship doesnt last for ever and comfy can be quite nice. Chances are you have lots of male biker buddies so getting a replacement wont be hard i guess.

It could also be that you just need to find someone who likes wasting money on flowers and generally doing silly pampering things for you. Although flowers can be a sign of guilt so maybe its good he doesnt buy you them.

Sparky
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:53 - 06 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

COLINWALL wrote:
It could also be that you just need to find someone who likes wasting money on flowers and generally doing silly pampering things for you. Although flowers can be a sign of guilt so maybe its good he doesnt buy you them.

lol
Great quote Colin i like that! Thumbs Up Very Happy

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 13:33 - 06 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to work with a girl who used to work in a flower shop.
After seeing all the guilty men buying flowers, she decided that if she was ever going out with someone and they bought her flowers for no apparent reason, she would dump them.

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 19:27 - 06 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

COLINWALL wrote:

After seeing all the guilty men buying flowers, she decided that if she was ever going out with someone and they bought her flowers for no apparent reason, she would dump them.

Luckily I used to buy my fiancee flowers before we were even going out so she isn't suspisious when I buy her them now.

As for why I buy her them.... I buy her them as she likes them. She does things that make me happy and I do little things for her now and then.

I must admit men who buy flowers to hide something are very very stupid if they normally don't buy flowers as it just screams I've been a naughty boy. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:39 - 06 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember that blokes are very simple creatures. You say you have discussed this with him, but did he understand what you were saying?

All this subtle body language and little nuances of speech that women employ are largely lost on your average bloke. Chances are that if you tell him you are unhappy and want to break it off, it will come as a total surprise to him.

Many blokes are also afraid to push too hard with a relationship for fear they will scare you off and so leave the woman to set the pace. You may want him to pick you up after work out of the blue, take you out for dinner then back to his place and carry you up to the bedroom over his shoulder. He wont in case you freak out though.

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 19:41 - 06 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
You may want him to pick you up after work out of the blue, take you out for dinner then back to his place and carry you up to the bedroom over his shoulder. He wont in case you freak out though.

Hell even I woundn't do that... I mean do you know what the parking charges for leaving her car in the car park overnight would be like! Shocked Laughing

BigChris
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:53 - 06 Mar 2006    Post subject: Re: Should I break up with my boyfriend? Reply with quote

bindy wrote:
I don't know why I cant make my own decisions when it comes to breaking up with people but I really need advice. I have been with my boy for 3.5 years and its been up and down but we generally love each other I can say that, we are pretty affectionate, and generally hes a nice guy but he never buys me flowers just because, im not ugly, most guys say im gorgeous, im not fat, im nice, (nurse), I ride a cool bike but he just acts like im in the way of his life all the time. He lives with a mate and I have to live with my parents to afford uni. It probably too hard for anyone to know what I should do but I just needed to vent! He never comes out with me, i just go with my friends, we dont do anything exciting together, He says he loves me a lot but if its so shit then why is he so happy and Im so sad?

talk to him. explain your point of view. if he listens good. if not, dump. if he changes, good. If not, dump.

Confused good luck

daz|n00by
The Internet

PostPosted: 23:14 - 06 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
im not ugly, most guys say im gorgeous, im not fat, im nice, (nurse), I ride a cool bike

When you have dumped him pm me your phone number and i promise to buy you flowers and make you breakfast in bed Wink

Hope you sort out things.

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:59 - 06 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

daz|n00by wrote:
When you have dumped him pm me your phone number and i promise to buy you flowers and make you breakfast in bed Wink

Well someone was going to say it. I'm surprised it took so long, and Daz, I'm shocked it was you! Laughing

bindy
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 01:43 - 07 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly to Collinwall, he does not at all use this forum
a. because he dosent ride
b. because he does not even know it exists

So dont worry about him reading it. I have come to the conclusion that he is just not very clued in when it comes to being romantic etc. I feel comfortable around him and if I broke up with him now I would be so miserable and wouldnt last more than two days. I just want him to understand that when I am asking for something like more attention or a bit more romance, or for him to at least to invite me to parties! I know its because every time I do go to parties I get into arguments with people but thats because the ones he invited me to were full of wanker types. I am always extra nice to everyone, but If there is someone being a wanker ill shout at them, just because they annoy everyone. Ok maybe im getting off the point a bit. Hes just a very stable, relaxed, non dramatic, unromantic type, and I am very extreme and intense and need excitement. I will tell him that. Since you are all boys ( i think) how do I tell him that without making him sound boring?

byefrombindyifyoudontwritebackandtellmewhattosayiwill

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:46 - 07 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to appear rude, but isn't this better said to your boyfriend? Just say what you mean to him.

lozzypop1
Certified MILF!

PostPosted: 01:51 - 07 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

print this off and show it to him?
I've noticed blokes dont tend to listen to 'conversations' so sometimes you're better off putting what you are feeling down in words... maybe a letter (if you dont want him to know about this forum?)
in any case, a letter would help you get it all off your chest even if you never show it to him (alternatively dont 'give' it to him but leave it somewhere where he will find it!)
you havent mentioned your sex life. (do you think he see's your relationship as being 'sex on tap'?)
sorry if i'm way off mark here but... you gotta do something or else pick yourself up, dust yourself off and start again!
snuggles
Loz xXx

daz|n00by
The Internet

PostPosted: 01:58 - 07 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have come to the conclusion that he is just not very clued in when it comes to being romantic etc. I feel comfortable around him and if I broke up with him now I would be so miserable and wouldnt last more than two days. I just want him to understand that when I am asking for something like more attention or a bit more romance, or for him to at least to invite me to parties!

Does this mean i wont be getting a pm then ?

damn and blast Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

craigie b
Citizen Smith

PostPosted: 02:06 - 07 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I just want him to understand that when I am asking for something like more attention or a bit more romance, or for him to at least to invite me to parties! I know its because every time I do go to parties I get into arguments with people but thats because the ones he invited me to were full of wanker types.

You know a relationship can get to the stage where, as a couple, you enjoy a comfortable relationship and you both accept and put up with each other nuances. However in a public scenario its quite possible that you don't click the same as your social circles are completely different.

My ex used to complain about my friends being arseholes...the net result? I stopped taking her out with them because I couldn't be arsed with the hassle.

As for the attention, tell him, straight up or else nothing will change.

bindy
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 03:53 - 07 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Thanks for all the advice. I have written him several letters on the subject. I have also spoken to him about it. I dont nag i just tell him how I feel and leave it. He is one of those super smart people who is missing the emotional intelligence bit a bit. We dont have sex that much but when we do its grate! It varies how much I suppose. Hes only really had one long term girl before me and that was only 7 months whereas I have had two two year relationships and a few scattered shorter ones. I think he just needed to have a really awful girlfriend for ages before me so he could actually appreciate me and maybe he would have learned a few things too. I just dont think I know how to get through to the male species, or he just dosent bloody listen or just thinks im ranting on about nothing. Dont worry Ill figure something out.

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 09:49 - 07 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

daz|n00by wrote:

Does this mean i wont be getting a pm then ?

damn and blast Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

I would hate to think what you are like around your son's girlfriends. Razz

One of my friends had a party a while ago and she and most of the girls she invited were unbelievably hot, like you wouldn't belive. Me my other mate and her dad were rating them all, it was fancy dress and most were dressed as nurses, he said he didn't know where to look when her friends started thanking him for the party. Laughing

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 14:15 - 07 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

bindy wrote:
or for him to at least to invite me to parties! I know its because every time I do go to parties I get into arguments with people but thats because the ones he invited me to were full of wanker types. I am always extra nice to everyone, but If there is someone being a wanker ill shout at them, just because they annoy everyone.

lol

WR450_geezer
Nobody likes me

PostPosted: 14:22 - 07 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get another girl on the scene, that'll sproosh things up abit.

WR

beast rider
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 16:03 - 07 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

daz|n00by wrote:
Quote:
im not ugly, most guys say im gorgeous, im not fat, im nice, (nurse), I ride a cool bike

Hope you sort out things.

Then he will even give you the fare for a cab home Laughing Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 55 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1