BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The Iraq bore

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs
View previous topic : View next topic  

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 14:36 - 08 Mar 2006    Post subject: The Iraq bore Reply with quote

No not the best subject but I was a bit confused by the report I saw on TV the other night, so I needed some questions answered.

I don’t follow a lot of TV, I don’t have a licence, so I only watch it when I really need to, so I suppose I miss a lot about this war.
So, Mr Suddam is in court, the people were freed of him awhile back and from what could see it was a good thing Thinking, we send in troops and do quite well in keeping the peace with ‘normal’ people of Iraq whilst looking for other mad men and people with ammunition.
We’ve been in there for some time now, still trying to control ‘pockets’ of resistance etc and destroying targets every so often.
It does seem to be a loosing battle though, no one seems to likes us anymore because of some skilful edited videos shown to Iraqi people and now a lot more people dislike our forces trying to help out.
Bearing in mind I heard that these people has the Nintendo NES banned as it was deemed a western super computer or something, I can’t imagine these people are to up on western wizardry and media techniques.

I watch the reports as if watching a film, trying to piece together the dialogue to see who’s who, where’s that and whys that kinda thing.
My flat mate was born over seas and lived there until he was about 12 or something, this combined with his attitude means he continually slates anything and everything to do with the supposed actions of Blair and Bush whilst enjoying every ounce of western culture provided to him, of course.
Now, I love my country, for the people mainly, but also for the history and for the things we do for others, I dislike our leaders just like any other person from any another country but why slate this place as a whole?
I know they aren’t the best leaders in the world but when compared to the rest of these power hungry evil men from, for example, Africa, Turkey, Italy, Iraq etc they seem alright, and I’d much rather be here than over there.

I saw the extended video of the guys throwing petrol bombs, stones etc at troops and then the ‘correction’ they received afterwards, the report was about ‘what time is a good time to pull out?’ or something thereabouts, IMO too many troops have been killed for reasons perhaps even they don’t understand.
From talking to a guy I know who was sent to Iraq (who has since resigned) explained that conditions and treatment over there were enough to make you want to come home before you’ve even seen the opposition.

Why is it we seem to care about these people?
Why exactly are we still there?
Why do they show us things we can’t do anything about?
And I thought, the reporter said they’re kill each other, so why can’t we just leave them to it until they can’t kill anymore?
Ok last point is a bit silly but FFS, if this is only about oil, then so be it, but if it isn’t, I’m confused.

Thanks

Killa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 15:53 - 08 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

We invaded for oil. Iraq hasnt been toeing the line for over a decade. American policy is to be in control of countries which are strategically important. America doesnt care if Mugabe thumbs his nose at the western world, but a hugely oil rich state doing the same is a problem.

Western oil companies get a huge amount of money extracting and processing oil even if it technically belongs to the host nation. On the few occasions that countries have decided do nationalise the oil industry the CIA and others will try to overthrow that country (ie Venezuela).

Bush doesnt just get his election campaign money from oil companies, some of his government run these companies. Dick Cheney who is the former CEO of your company Haliburton is also the vice president of america.

The reason Saddam ruled with a rod of iron is that loads of other people were backing people in his country that were trying to overthrow him. He had to hunt down anyone who was against him to be able to keep the country under control.

Iraq invaded Iran ages ago and Iran wants Iraq to be as weak as possible for as long as possible. A lot of those fighting the American occupation of Iraq are Iraqis but many are backed or stirred up by Iranians. If Iran can get the Iraqis to fight each other setting Sunni against Shi' ite, Iran will be the dominant force in the area as Iraq is weak.

Democracy wont work as the situation is too unstable.

America doesnt want a weak Iraq, it wants a rebuilt Iraq which has a pro american governement or at least a co operative government. The last thing it wants is Iran to become more dominant with a weak Iraq.

If the Americans pulled out and gave up on rebuilding it, american companies wouldnt get lucrative oil contracts, american building contractors wouldnt get big reconstruction contracts and the Iraqis would be fighting it out for years.

If we invaded Iraq to help the Iraqi people, we wd have helped the rwandan people too. We didnt. We did it for oil, and get more long term security in the region although this is now looking in doubt.

Iraq wasnt harbouring terrorists before because Saddams interrogations and execution squads made guantanamo look like summer camp.

Now that Iraq isnt that far off anarchy, its a breeding ground for terrorists. They arent the type of guys who will be coming over here to get us, but they will create more instability in the region. Islamic terrorism could spread to other countries like pakistan and India.

Our armed forces are paid to go places, kill people, and generally look after our interests and the goals of our leaders.

If they dont like bad conditions and bad treatment they shouldnt really have joined the armed forces. Its not a reason for us to pull them out cos they dont like it anymore.

More marines were killed in motorbike accidents after coming back from iraq than were killed in america so the death rate in Iraq isnt really so bad.

https://www.newsobserver.com/102/story/396791.html

Last edited by colin1 on 16:30 - 08 Mar 2006; edited 1 time in total

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 16:21 - 08 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Colin tied a few things up for me....

Dam, my company kicks ass Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 80 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1