13%
 13%  [ 5 ]
...other
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 36

John C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:04 - 08 Mar 2006    Post subject: Torrent Clients Reply with quote

I've not long since formatted my machine and was about to put my prefered torrent client back on.

Question is; which client do you use and why (adv./dis.)?

Last edited by John C on 00:38 - 10 Mar 2006; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lllN30lll
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:18 - 08 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

used Torrentstorm for years, but currently swaying towards azureus.

rarely use them though as i have a 2mb newsgroup account that max's out all the time on downloads

zaknafien

PostPosted: 20:30 - 08 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
BitTorrent
BitTornado
Azureus
uTorrent
BitComet

I've used all of those and uTorrent has been the best for me.

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:54 - 08 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was using the origional client and then needed something with more functionality and Azureus was the first I came accross with all the functions i needed so I stuck with it.

Nb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:57 - 08 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Azureus, works good. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Skunkcap Freddie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:35 - 08 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

azureus Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

limit your upload rate Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

John C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:24 - 09 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I'm going to make the switch to azureus, unless there's a reason why i shouldn't.

Cheers

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:44 - 09 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skunkcap Freddie wrote:

If you limit your upload rate, it automatically limits your download rate. Sad

It is a good program, but very thirsty. I'm on the lookout for something smaller, as I'm only laptopping.

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 00:46 - 09 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

azureus for teh win!
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

T1z3R
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:52 - 09 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

NSRSparkie wrote:
Looks like I'm going to make the switch to azureus, unless there's a reason why i shouldn't.

Cheers

giganews is the reason you shouldnt.

Misc
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:04 - 09 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the best for a new-comer as i know most you need to fill out all the speeds & alter firewalls & routers etc....

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git

PostPosted: 02:24 - 09 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rookie wrote:

It is a good program, but very thirsty. I'm on the lookout for something smaller, as I'm only laptopping.

It does? I can't say I'd noticed that. I have my upload limit set to 15Kbs and my download set to either 125Kbs or unlimited depending on if I want to use my web connection.
Definitely Azureus for me Very Happy

zaknafien

PostPosted: 03:48 - 09 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

PsychoHippy wrote:
It does? I can't say I'd noticed that. I have my upload limit set to 15Kbs and my download set to either 125Kbs or unlimited depending on if I want to use my web connection.

Try setting it to something like 2k/sec upload and watch the speeds drop.

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git

PostPosted: 04:16 - 09 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaknafien wrote:
Try setting it to something like 2k/sec upload and watch the speeds drop.

I shall do that out of idle curiosity tomorrow Cool
Won't leave it like it though, I like to think I am doing my bit Thumbs Up

XanderKain
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:21 - 09 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

azureus always.....tried utorrent but still like azureus best Very Happy Thumbs Up

RobB
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:36 - 09 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only tried azureus and abc, so don't feel like I should vote in the poll. I didn't like ABC at all, far too resource hungry. Azureus runs with no problems on a P3-750 machine, whereas ABC struggled with more than 4 downloads at a time (same machine).

As for the download/upload cap, I've played with mine a lot, and you generally get the same download speeds with 10-15k upload and above. I drop my upload to 5k if I want the bandwidth for something else, and my download rate (always unlimited) drops to around 150k. It would usually be around the 4-500k area. Don't believe you can set it to be less than 5k upload these days, can't on mine anyway.

Not sure if this is true, but it also seems like if I have a lot of files in my upload section, that have a poor share ratio, then my download speed is slower. If I remove or stop seeding the files, it goes back up again.

Also found with azureus that to get very fast speeds I had to change the trigger port, and open up around 1000 ports specifically for it.

Suzuki
Roger

PostPosted: 11:06 - 09 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use TorrentFlux. Lets me download torrents directly onto my server, with the added advantage of being able to kick off a download from anywhere I can get net access, and have the downloaded torrent waiting for me when I get home.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

John C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:30 - 09 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobB wrote:
I've only tried azureus and abc, so don't feel like I should vote in the poll. I didn't like ABC at all, far too resource hungry. Azureus runs with no problems on a P3-750 machine, whereas ABC struggled with more than 4 downloads at a time

I used ABC before and it does struggle with more than 4 downloads. I used to set it to queue jobs and only do 4 at a time. I stuck with it because it never gave any problems and didn't seem to slow the machine down.

Since formatting I figured I might as well get the general consensus is before putting ABC back on.

It now looks like ABC's getting the boot, with Azureus for the win.

Thanks for the advice.

RobB
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:51 - 09 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azureus will download 30+ files with no real problem, all of them just chugging away merrily. Definitely made a huge difference changing the trigger port too.

Suzuki, will have a nose at TorrentFlux at some point just for the sake of it, but I have a web-control system set up with Azureus. There's an option in Azureus to scan a specified folder for new torrent files, it does this once a minute. I can FTP in, drop new torrents into the folder, and then within a minute Azureus will have picked them up and started downloading. When the file's complete, Azureus moves it into my "Complete" folder, so that the file can be picked up.

I set all that up for a mate who didn't want to use his sole machine (laptop) for downloading. He drops off torrents, then picks up the completed files once they're done. I can't get to torrent sites from work, so it's not much use to me. I suppose I could go to an internet cafe at lunchtime or something, but that's too sad even for me.

Skunkcap Freddie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:55 - 09 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rookie wrote:
Skunkcap Freddie wrote:

i know dude but if the upload rate is above 20 the other 4 computers in the house suffer. so i limit it to 16kb and am able to dowload at 60/70kb , i don't mind letting it run in at that
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Suzuki
Roger

PostPosted: 13:20 - 09 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobB wrote:
Suzuki, will have a nose at TorrentFlux at some point just for the sake of it, but I have a web-control system set up with Azureus. There's an option in Azureus to scan a specified folder for new torrent files, it does this once a minute. I can FTP in, drop new torrents into the folder, and then within a minute Azureus will have picked them up and started downloading. When the file's complete, Azureus moves it into my "Complete" folder, so that the file can be picked up.

That's cool, but the advantage of TorrentFlux is that you get remote control over the entire torrent-downloading application.

Whilst Azureus will pickup your new torrent file and begin downloading it, you cannot then stop the download, pause/restart it, view progress, etc. Whereas with TF you can control the whole lot from a web-frontend.
Granted it's not as polished and shiny as Azureus, but it works just as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Method
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:28 - 09 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azerus for me...

Mainly cos ive only had that and bitTornado, and i downloaded at about 7 times as fast on Aze when i downloaded the same torrent.

John C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:51 - 09 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Definitely made a huge difference changing the trigger port too.

Thats the first thing I do, lots of trackers block 6881-6889 automatically.

Antother question...
Lets say there's a particular song I want, unless it's in the charts I'm going to struggle to find it. Even if I do I'll have to download the whole album. With 'old' p2p applications you can search and very quickly download the single track, but I refuse to put limewire/ emule/ kazza or anything else quite so destructive on my machine. Can I use torrents in a similar fashion, or an I just stuck with whatever's on torrentspy and the like?

Last edited by John C on 14:02 - 09 Mar 2006; edited 1 time in total

craigie b
Citizen Smith

PostPosted: 13:59 - 09 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes

John C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:01 - 09 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigie b wrote:
yes

thanks, are you going to let on?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 51 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2