Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Wisdom Teeth

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

karen_moomin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:53 - 10 Mar 2006    Post subject: Wisdom Teeth Reply with quote

For the last 5 years my wisdom teeth have been half-erupted. Occasional pain but nothing major. When I changed dentists, I had x-rays taken to see where my wisdom teeth were. The dentist just said something along the lines of "they should be ok", although there is no room should they decide to fully erupt.

A few weeks ago, I developed what I thought was a sinus infection on my left side of my face. My jaw ached and my face swelled up. At the time I didn't think it had anything to do with my wisdom tooth. I have also suffered with the flu and a cold (so three loads of illness) so far this year - and I never usually get ill like this.

For the last 4 days, I've been in quite a bit of pain as my lower wisdom teeth are killing me. Apparently people often mistake "teeth trying to grow" for an infection.

I am going to try to see my dentist ASAP, but to be frank, he doesn't seem to listen and I think he'll just poke them and tell me to take pain killers.

Does anyone know...can you ask or demand to have these teeth removed?

Has anyone had a similar experience with wisdom teeth?

Any advise?! Thumbs Up
HerbalDayZ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:48 - 10 Mar 2006    Post subject: Re: Wisdom Teeth Reply with quote

karen_moomin wrote:

I am going to try to see my dentist ASAP, but to be frank, he doesn't seem to listen and I think he'll just poke them and tell me to take pain killers.

Does anyone know...can you ask or demand to have these teeth removed?

Has anyone had a similar experience with wisdom teeth?

Any advice?! Thumbs Up

You can get them removed at an NHS hospital , for free since hospital treatment is paid for via your taxes and sort of free.

Heres the sales pitch ,

Just say you regularly get infections due to these teeth and they will do preventitive surgery on you to remove them to prevent future infections.(mine was flush sideways against my rear teeth and caused NO real problems other than being uncomfy.

If your own dentist won't do it then go to a drop in clinic complaining of serious pain,

Beware though my wisdom tooth was sideways , they injected me with lots of stuff and hacked it out as well as the top one , my face became totally swollen on one side I could NOT put my helmet on (so make other transport arrangements) and I could not speak properly for a couple days as long as looking like a mugging victim with the facial bruising.

This also impaired my eating so watch out for that too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WavyGravy
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:16 - 10 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are in serious pain you can go to A+E and they ought to sort it immediately, if the teeth are not through yet your dentist may well refer you to hospital anyway as you might need a different anaesthetic - especially if they all need removing. You need to stress the amount of pain you are in and that you insist on something better than painkillers.

The policy on this does change however, before the scares about people developing immunity to anti biotics it was standard procedure to put everyone on a course of tablets before removing teeth, but now they tend to operate without them. Sad to say, the louder you shout the more likely you are to get quick treatment. If the teeth arent through yet you will probably get swelling after theyre removed, you shouldnt really ride a bike after anaesthetic anyway it upsets your balance, hope this is of some help.

izzi81
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:37 - 10 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

my wisdom teeth give me bother, a few months ago I got an infection thanks to one of them (none of mine have fully erupted either, so it's easy for them to get infected). They didn't take any x-rays, but told me I could get them taken out if I wanted. I said yes, I thought I'd like to do that, as they were never going to fix themselves. I was told they'd refer me to the dental hospital and I'd hear from them.

That was in December. Still not heard anything. The infection has gone but I can't eat entirely properly - certainly nothing hugely chewy as it's too sore. So I'm just waiting..... Evil or Very Mad

kev
I Hump Things

PostPosted: 22:58 - 10 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of years ago I had a tooth collapse so it had to be removed and while he was doing it he took out a wisdom tooth which was half out.

It did cost me about £170 to have them removed but I was sedated and didnt feel a thing.
20:02:36 Jammy-R6: any holes a goal
20:02:48 kev: even if its a hairy mans arse
20:02:56 Jammy-R6: hell yes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:20 - 11 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wisdom teeth are all partially erupted and impacted. They gave me a lot of bother a few years ago, but the dentist was confident that they would settle down and didn't want to take them out. He was right and I haven't had any trouble at all since they stopped trying to erupt any further.

Maybe within the next few years they will give me jip so my little tale won't mean anything anyway.

Mary Jane
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 08:03 - 11 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

my wisdom teeth started to come in when I was 17...my other teeth hurt, so my dentist told me there wasn't enough room for them to come in.
So, I had them out; the same weekend my Dad's family went to Las Vegas. I got to stay with my aunt during my recovery.

But...if they're causing you any kind of problems, they should come out..
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 83 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1