Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

his accelerator got stuck

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

White Noise
Mr Dudwee

PostPosted: 18:57 - 11 Mar 2006    Post subject: his accelerator got stuck Reply with quote

doh, it was a automatic and apparently the car was stuck in gear so that he couldn't put into neutral!

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/4796264.stm

scary shite! Shocked
though not sure why he didn't get to the hard shoulder and turn the ignition off! power steering would go but not sure about ABS
WN
Riding Tip #86: See God, then back off a bit: Problem is i haven't seen god yet, just a close up of tarmac on revett straight
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Minky_monkey
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:17 - 11 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like a repeat of the lunatic in his lorry on the M1 a while back. Absolutely no good reason why he could'nt switch off the ignition.

I though they had a rev limiter fitted anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ISLAND GIRL
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:53 - 11 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched this story on Sky tv, reckon it was genuine whereas the lorry one they reckon he was speeding and simply made it up cause he knew he had be caught on camera Confused
As for the guy in the car must of been crapping himself!

michael j
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:00 - 11 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuck in gear? Surely even in an automatic you can push the selector up into neutral? Then simply switch off, or am I missing something? Confused

Stevie B
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:10 - 11 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

An R reg' 318 doing 135mph! Confused

What about the handbrake, or a flick over in to manual mode which doesn't involve the auto lever going up or down, just across?

Anyhow, glad he's ok, he did well to escape unharmed! Thumbs Up

Steve

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 23:17 - 11 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

am i missing something, or why couldnt he just turn off the engine with the key in the ignition ?

had that somehow broken aswell ?

tsmith
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:51 - 12 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Occasionally I have the misfortune of having to drive an automatic car, albeit a Honda. You can shift into neutral (it's right underneath drive) at high speed. You can also turn off the ignition and still steer.

tsmith
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:53 - 12 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Occasionally I have the misfortune of having to drive an automatic car, albeit a Honda. You can shift into neutral (it's right underneath drive) at high speed. You can also turn off the ignition and still steer.

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 10:54 - 12 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be fair though, if it was a guy that wasnt used to high speed and was panicking then he may have not though about this.

Shame he didnt, he would still have a BMW if he did!!1

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:05 - 12 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was on the phone to the police at the time I believe.

Was wondering if they maybe had something to stop you taking the keyout at 135mph?

I think it mentioned the gearbox was jammed and he couldn't do 'owt with it.

loply
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:13 - 12 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cant turn the ignition off on automatics unless the gears are in "Park" mode, which is similar to neutral.

Why on earth he used the brakes to hold the car at 70mph is beyond me, full braking force with the pedal would have easily overpowered the engine. He could also have forced it out of gear if he put enough pressure on the lever I bet.

For that matter he could have stuck the handbrake on, waited for the car to slow down a bit and then just spun it... I bet it would have slowed to a really slow speed with full handbrake + full footbrake, easily slow enough for a safe handbrake stop.

loply
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:15 - 12 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS. Imagine how unbelievably scary this would be a on a 1000cc sports bike.

jok
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:53 - 12 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

loply wrote:
PS. Imagine how unbelievably scary this would be a on a 1000cc sports bike.

Pull the clutch?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:18 - 12 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why motorcycles are fitted with a big red kill switch under your right thumb.

I once had a positive throttle lock on my old T500. Cable moved against the cylinder head and melted through jamming at 'full chat'. 80mph in top with a corner coming up. Pretty scary because it doesn't have a kill switch and the key is down by the bottom yoke.

I could have pulled the clutch or downshifted but the engine would have blown. The brakes stopped it and stalled out the engine though. And those were drums, surprising how hard you can pull a lever in that sort of situation.

Adam_P
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:54 - 12 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

This story will turn out to be the guy lying about it as he reckoned he was caught speeding.

A 318 won't do 135mph for a start, he could have pulled the car into neutral, the brakes would have overpowered the pull of the engine (all cars are designed this way, otherwise none of us would ever stop!) and he could have turned off the ignition and brought the car to a halt.

And he travelled SIXTY miles at that speed, without losing control or hitting anything else?? Come on!

Need I go on? BMW will tear that car apart to find out what, if anything, went wrong.

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:56 - 12 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is everything mechanical on the beemer or is it electric? It may have been a paddle-shift, in chich case i'm guessing it's mostly electronic.

What are the changes, though? I reckon he may have mashed the gearbox by using the brakes, thus jamming it in gear. It's kinda final destination-esque. Freaky shit!

Jack

Adam_P
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:02 - 12 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack_Cheese wrote:
Is everything mechanical on the beemer or is it electric? It may have been a paddle-shift, in chich case i'm guessing it's mostly electronic.

What are the changes, though? I reckon he may have mashed the gearbox by using the brakes, thus jamming it in gear. It's kinda final destination-esque. Freaky shit!

Jack

A 318 isn't high enough up the BMW food chain to be paddle shift equipped. And I'd have also thought that it would be a cable throttle link too, rather than 'drive by wire' on that level, but could be wrong, its a long time since I delved that deeply into road car details.

He could have got the car to stall on the brakes when it first happened I'd have thought, before they allgedly 'burn out and failed'...

Novel way of trying to get out of a speeding ticket though. Laughing

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:56 - 12 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why all the prattle ladies?
The guy looks well dodgy.
Do the math.
I'd do him for using his cell phone whilst driving.
I'd be a great traffic cop.

Last edited by Walloper on 21:58 - 12 Mar 2006; edited 1 time in total

LUXY DJ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:58 - 12 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

in tht audio clip he says he took his foot off & it stayed on & the pedel was DOWN 2 THE FLOOR.......so surely he already had it down 2 the floor himself? so meaning he was flooring it so he was speeding anyway coz im sure the pedal didnt just go down on own it was left were he last pushed it too aka THE FLOOR!......if u get me?

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:12 - 12 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he'd turned the ignition off, he would have lost all steering control, probably would have killed a few people like that. Possibly he could have turned it off briefly and then back on without the ignition, but it would have been risky, and I doubt he was all that calm.

Handbrake wouldn't be an option either, the car would have just span into the middle of the motorway.

And Walloper it says he was using a hands-free.

Personally I congratulate the guy on getting out of that without injuring or killing anyone at all.

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:17 - 12 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rookie wrote:
If he'd turned the ignition off, he would have lost all steering control, probably would have killed a few people like that. Possibly he could have turned it off briefly and then back on without the ignition, but it would have been risky, and I doubt he was all that calm.

Handbrake wouldn't be an option either, the car would have just span into the middle of the motorway.

And Walloper it says he was using a hands-free.

Personally I congratulate the guy on getting out of that without injuring or killing anyone at all.

Not wanting to start a jihad here but where in the world do they make cars that have NO steering without engine power?

Like power assisted braking it is 'ASSISTED' So steering would still work but be a tad heavy.....
But I take you minor point re: Hands free.

Turn off the bloody key.......
Or use the ejector seat for chrizt sakes

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:09 - 12 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was an automatic that was stuck in gear, switching off the ignition would let you coast to a halt with -and this is the point- the engine still turning over.

If the engine is turning over, the engine drive belts are turning. If the drive belts are turning, the hydraulic pump is working. Therefore you still have both your power assisted steering and your servo assist brakes.

Even so, both still work with the engine off, you just have to use more effort.

If you pulled the handbrake, at least you'd crash backwards with the wheels trying to pull you away from whatever you are going to crash into

loply
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:13 - 12 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cant turn the ignition off on automatics unless theyre in Park mode (normally), so he couldnt do that.

I do however second the suggestion that turning the ignition off would not have caused a loss of control. The power steering would have failed, but would still work.

Im almost certain a BMW 318 has more stopping power than engine power, though perhaps his brake pads were nearing the end of their life...

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 23:49 - 12 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "ordeal" started near where I live. and ended passed doncaster! plus how did he not get on the M1? the A1 turns into M1 near leeds you have to turn off to stay on the A1. Neutral

kal9001
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 02:06 - 14 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like BS to me, even at fullthrottle you canslam the brakeson "to the floor"and the wheels would lock, unless he had crap brakes or they had already faded (maybe he had been pushing the car before hand) +hand brake would have stoped the car dead if not ripped the rear axel off lol.
WTF is he driving an automatic for the n00b! you dont buy a BW and have it an automatic...thats just wrong.

this whole argument about Power steering adn the brakes...cource they will still work, imagine if you runoutof petrol, the engine locks up, orsomethingelse random that stops it...there are stillmechanicalliksto everything, youd just loose the modern niceness of it all but it would all still work. thats the same reason your lights dont gooff when the engine stopsoh what fun that would be, you see someone pulling out of a junction at night, he stalls and just vanishes...oh the joy!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 20 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3