Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

his accelerator got stuck

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
HerbalDayZ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

greatmoorred
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:23 - 14 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had something similar happen a couple of years ago. I was on my way back from london,stopped to get some petrol and as it was sunday evening and pretty quiet on the M6 i thought i would give my lovely 16v Cally a bit of a blast from the re entry lane, so i go through all the gears with my foot nailed to the floor, get into fifth and think " Right, thats enough now" at about 95-100mph.
Only when i take my foot off the pedal the car wont slow down, in fact its still speding up. Put the clutch in and the revs rush straight up to 6000. Not good.
Very scary. What do you do ?
Knock it into neutral, which takes away the power, but the engine is literally going to explode if it carries on revving that high.Put it back inti gear and try to brake. No . Turn off the engine and knock it into neutral and cruise to a halt on the hard shoulder using what little brakes i had with no servo.
The whole incident probably lasted about 20 seconds ( from when i wanted to slow down ) but when your friendly car suddenly goes mad it scares the crap out of you.
Turned out to be pretty simple too. The gasket on the Air intake was old and half of it had been dragged into the butterfly and jammed it open, when i floored it so hard.
Being a great driver though, i didnt panic and fuck it up like that numbnuts Very Happy

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 16:41 - 14 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

greatmoorred wrote:
I had something similar happen a couple of years ago.

likewise..

throttle return spring broke in my case.. took my foot off the floor; nothing..

braked, got over to the hard shoulder, turned off the ignition, and coasted to a stop under controlled braking.

no drama.

a

Barry_M2
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:02 - 14 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You CAN knock an auto into Neutral even when accelerating, there is no pressure on the lever like in a manual. I've done it a few time's by accident im my Supra. You dont need to put any more pressure on it, it will move the same as if its standing still.

You can also turn the engine off while in gear, you just cant turn it to the fully 'off' position, but you certainly can kill the engine.

To be honest, I dont believe that story at all, I just think the guy didn't know how to drive an auto, or was extreemly stupid!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Lone-Wolf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:35 - 14 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

loply wrote:
You cant turn the ignition off on automatics unless the gears are in "Park" mode, which is similar to neutral.

Wotcha.

You can on mine - and on every other one I've ever driven.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:57 - 14 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can on mine too....
HerbalDayZ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Adam_P
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:34 - 14 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

HerbalDayZ wrote:

By turning off the ignition the stearing lock will come on lose abs braking an powerstearing .Now if i had the thought of that at 120mph i sure wouldnt be trying to turn no ignition off.

Also listen to the sound interview he says .I could not turn it off when the car is in gear you cant kill the engine ? unless in park or nutural

Your mate is talking bollocks, his steering lock won't come into effect until he takes the key out of the ignition. And he also won't loose braking and power steering, they'll just get harder as the engine isn't helping to power them.

All he needed to do was drop the ignition back one notch. He's desperately trying to get out of a speeding fine, and when the true comes out the police will bend him over and give him the biggest shafting of his life.

Adam_P
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:49 - 14 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a start, as I've said before, I very much doubt a 318 will do 135mph.

And read what I say, a car will have brakes AND steering even if you turn the ignition off. Like I said, they would become very hard, but they still work, enough to get a car slowed down and to a stop at least.

And I don't believe that he could have travelled for that amount of distance either. I used to travel that part of the A1 a lot and there are plenty of places where doing 90mph isn't clever, let alone in an out of control BMW at 135...

Yes, BMW will go over the car with a fine tooth comb making sure that nothing of theirs failed. They'd especially want to know what happened if they thought he was bullshitting, as it puts them in a bad light.

And I can't imagine anyone having the calm to call first of all the AA, then talk to the police while trying to keep a car under control at 135 either, can you???

SoND
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:42 - 15 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

HerbalDayZ wrote:
Quote:
And he also won't loose braking and power steering, they'll just get harder as the engine isn't helping to power them.

Have to agree to disagree with this part m8 .

If you listened to the interview he clearly says he was on the phone to the AA then the police an they say the powerstearing would not work .

Powersteering wont work, doesnt mean you lose it all. What about cars that dont have powersteering in the first place?

He would have had the hand brake to slow down with aswell.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 05:17 - 15 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

the bmw guy shdnt have asked the aa or the police

most ppl on bcf wd have told him to just turn off the ignition

problem solved

the aa or the police shd have asked us really

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:27 - 15 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turn off the ignition and use our 'Spell Checker' application two FFS.

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 10:19 - 15 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

HerbalDayZ wrote:
Yea idd i didnt say he wouldnt stear did i ?

I said power stearing ABS an any other electrical thing !!! .Still wouldnt like to controll the car myself

ABS won't work, but the brakes will still work as long as the engine is turning. turning off the ignition, but leaving it in gedar/drive will mean the engine is turned by the wheels, which will have a braking efect in itself.

as far as I know, most power steering systems are still mechanically driven from the engine, and not powered by electric pumps, in which case, with the engine still turning, power-steering will still work, albeit at a reduced level.

As said before, the steering is only power assisted, so will still work, but get heavy, as it is a direct mechanical connection from the wheel to the rack. It's not like the old Citroen CX which had a loose dog-clutch type arangement giving you about 2 inches of slack before mechanically moving the steering column. in those, the system was almost entirely hydraulic.

granted, turning off the ignition on an automatic while driving isn;t a healthy thing to do, but it's far safer to do that and break the engine or gearbox than to travel at the speeds he was doing; unless someone can tell me there's something in a BMW to PREVENT the ignition being turned off.

I also find it hard to believe that he couldn't brake hard enough to slow the car enough to stall the engine.

I'm not saing he is bullshitting, but there are ways of slowing and stopping a car with a jammed accelerator which he didn't do.

a

John C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:34 - 15 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:
The "ordeal" started near where I live. and ended passed doncaster! plus how did he not get on the M1? the A1 turns into M1 near leeds you have to turn off to stay on the A1. Neutral

This would explain all the sirens and blue flashing lights on blyth roundabout the other day. I knew something had gone off when the police diverted me about six miles round it.

As others have said, he should have just turned the ignition off a notch. If your fuel pump goes at 135mph and your engine stops does that mean your going to die? No! you just need press very hard on the brake pedal thats all. No reason not to turn off.

As for power-steering, I've driven a range rover 2.5Tdi with no power-steering. You needed arms like Bruce Banner below 50mph, above that it isn't a problem.

What a nugget. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:53 - 15 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would not like to attempt that which people are suggesting if this happened in a Citreon XM.

Quote:
Not wanting to start a jihad here but where in the world do they make cars that have NO steering without engine power?

France, apparently.

All of our 5 cars are automatic, the only one that ever had a problem was the camaro, lost 2 gears and would only change up at WOT, bad enough in a normal car, but when you're prodding 350 rwhp with a large stick it becomes a tad more interesting. Auto's will always change under any conditions, though most won't start unless they are in park.

Quote:
Stuck in gear? Surely even in an automatic you can push the selector up into neutral? Then simply switch off, or am I missing something?

From the story he is giving out, it is apparent that the transmission fucked it's pressures and locked in gear, it may be two coincidental problems that happened at the same time, but how likely is that? Another issue is that he said it was locked in gear, but not that the lever was locked, so he might have been moving the lever, but if the box had dumped oil/lost control of pressure it would do jack.

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:56 - 15 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

lilredmachine wrote:
You would not like to attempt that which people are suggesting if this happened in a Citreon XM.

Quote:
Not wanting to start a jihad here but where in the world do they make cars that have NO steering without engine power?

France, apparently.

Power Assisted is what you mean.
It is quite possible that the 'power assisted' steering would not work but by design constraints and common sense the vehicle must be able to steer without engine power.
Power steering only helps the mechanical device fitted to the vehicle.
How would you steer a car with a dead engine in a car sales room for a bad example?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:01 - 15 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Feef said, and as I have already said once. If the ignition was turned off with the car still in gear, the engine would keep turning until the car came to a halt.

If the engine is turning, so is the hydraulic pump and therefore the power steering and brake assist will work.

The View Askew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:22 - 17 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I could have pulled the clutch or downshifted but the engine would have blown. The brakes stopped it and stalled out the engine though. And those were drums, surprising how hard you can pull a lever in that sort of situation.

If that is you on your profile linked website, you don't look like the type of fella who is particulaly weak Wink

akaDAVE
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:50 - 17 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take another look at the bloke, he's a proper spastic. He's talking out of his arse.

60 miles at 135mph, mmmmmmm.

innominate
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:21 - 17 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mby it was just his second chin resting on the pedal that was causing the issues all along?
I, as a responsible adult human being, will never concede the power to anyone to regulate my choice of what I put into my body, or where I go with my mind. From the skin inwards is my jurisdiction, is it not? I choose what may or may not cross that border. Here I am the customs agent. I am the coast-guard. I am the sole legal and spiritual government of this territory, and only the laws I choose to enact within myself are applicable.

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 17:50 - 17 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soul_Trader wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:
I could have pulled the clutch or downshifted but the engine would have blown. The brakes stopped it and stalled out the engine though. And those were drums, surprising how hard you can pull a lever in that sort of situation.

If that is you on your profile linked website, you don't look like the type of fella who is particulaly weak Wink

Captain Pugwash.
https://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/bikeshite/images/1-picture2.gif?0.16934517251711034

Stinkwheel.
https://www.cambridgeanimation.com/images/show_pugwash.jpg

cliff
Doctor Sicknote

PostPosted: 22:28 - 19 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

hes a weirdo, hes just doing it and claiming hes got trauma and emotional damage! i watched him on gmtv or this morning, cant remember, he seemed like a twat!

GearboxGeezer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:08 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minky_monkey wrote:
This sounds like a repeat of the lunatic in his lorry on the M1 a while back. Absolutely no good reason why he could'nt switch off the ignition.

I though they had a rev limiter fitted anyway.

I heard he broke his key in panic, as he tried turning it off, turned it the wrong way and snap. Sounds really dumb but I ant saying nothing unless im in the same very scarey situation.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 40 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3