Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cheap GPS (yes again)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:18 - 12 Mar 2006    Post subject: Cheap GPS (yes again) Reply with quote

Been a while since ive looked propperly..

Whats the cheapest gps bike soloution at the moment? Question

Either:
Arrow In pocket voice based (screen size unimportant as your not going to be looking at it)
Or
Arrow Screen based (Dedicated unit, mounted on the bike to sit and look at, possibly with audio out)

I'm looking at the gps/pda route now (unfortuately my pdas don't support it so am selling and replaceing them for one that does) if that all goes tats up then i've not lost anythign there, twill probably cost me about £10 to do..

Not interested ina phone based one, £100 for the bluetooth gps, thent he phone on top, i'd rather have a dedicate full screen for similar money..

Any ideas?

biker-dj
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:23 - 12 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure if this is suitable for a bike but I know Somerfield were doing one for 100 quid Streetmaster or something but I have heard you can get them for 90 quid - not sure where from tho', probably Tesco. Hope this helps Question Confused

lllN30lll
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:42 - 12 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

here you go mate, GPS receivers in order of Buy It Now and Cheapest one's at the top Thumbs Up

https://search.ebay.co.uk/gps-receiver_W0QQcatrefZC6QQcoactionZcompareQQcoentrypageZsearchQQcopagenumZ1QQfromZR10QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ3QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQga10244Z10425QQsacatZQ2d1QQsascsZ2QQsbrsrtZl

*edit* just read your post properly, hmmmm, i'm sure you can get a phone off ebay that you can install tomtom on such as a Nokia 6600 etc. then use one of these receivers

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:55 - 12 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a NavMan to go to Nottingham and back yesterday, though it was in the car. It was absolutely superb, though I have nothing to compare it to. It had good audio directions and a headphone socket, so it would be go enough on a bike too. It has downloads available for speed camera detection, and it beeps at you if you go over 90mph (can be turned off, I expect Shifty)

The person I borrowed it off picked it up for £250 3 or 4 months ago, but it can be had for sub £200 now.

Edit: It was this, but in black. Thumbs Up

More expensive than I thought, obviously. £200 2nd hand there. But God it's good! Laughing

T1z3R
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:55 - 12 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

for on the bike im currently using an iPAQ 4150 with TT5 installed and a TT bluetooth receiver in a zip-lock bag stuck on my tank. i just use a single earpiece for the directions.

you can probably pick that lot up for about 150 - 200 notes or something similar for less.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 01:57 - 13 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just picked up a Garmin Streetpilot i3 from maplins £160. Unlike some of the other cheap ones this takes you to the door not the street, important in my job.

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:02 - 13 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Just picked up a Garmin Streetpilot i3 from maplins £160. Unlike some of the other cheap ones this takes you to the door not the street, important in my job.

Ahh yes i was literally about to post about that! ebay is absoloutely flooded with them (and they are about £160 too, think i'll go to craplins for one!)

According to the reviews they are pretty damn smart!

https://www.garmin.com/products/spi3/#

Do they have voice? (i.e. a jack plug for a headphone?)
EDIT: Just read they dont, shame that, i wonder how audible it will be on the bike at lower speed?

I'm thinking for that price it would be worth getting one and makeing it a sealed unit! (doubt it would like liveing outside, but wouldn't be hard to make it a small protective box)

Only downside is the screen size, looks a bit didy.. is it clear enough?

(with all the stuff ive put on ebay if it all sells i'll have £200 odd to spend so this would do great!)

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 14:15 - 13 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems fine and I get better reception in central london that one of our riders with a Tom Tom rider.

The map can be enlarged or reduced so I can live without the voice at the price.

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:04 - 13 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive read they have better reception than allot of other units dispite its size! how loud are the voice commands? if its loud enough i reckon it will come over the roadnoise at lower speed..

Ive just gone out and brought a navman iCN 320, been giveing it a try..

Now it seems good and works ok, but its quite a bit biger but the screen while rideing isn't any biger really, which is kinda rubbish :/ and its battery is internal, knackered battery = your buggered.. theres no battery bar, no speedo, and no options to avoid areas or take "via" routes.. its pretty basic, considering the i3 is £130!!! (£30 less than ebay!!) its not all that great.. bit too basic...

Not too sure about this optional backup battery.. a bit bulky.

https://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~noriba74/images/nav.jpg

I'm gonna try out the garmin next i think... this one isn't terrible but..

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:44 - 13 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Mio 268+ Digi Walker. £260 off ebay, best thing i've every bought.

Takes you to the door, routes as well as destinations, accurate predictions on ETA's, 3D maps.

Not sure how well it would cope with a bike, but i'm glad i spent the extra cash. Life now has one less thing to stress about. Cool

https://www.atsmobil.fr/images/mitac/mio268/mio268_05.jpg

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 22:56 - 13 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Garmin i3 is £130 at Halfords btw

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 00:57 - 14 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

maurice wrote:
The Garmin i3 is £130 at Halfords btw

If they have it in stock.

There seems to be a bit of a shortage at the moment.

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:23 - 14 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh and at staples too (they had been £120!!) theres going to be saveing me one (used to work there, will kick there asses if they dont Razz)

Its a real shame about the navman, its a nice unit, but very very limmited Sad

sickpup - How loud is the voice? is it easy enough to hear? (i appreciate on a bike and helmeted its goign to be very different)

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 01:41 - 14 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty quiet for a bike but I don't use it as it drains the battery.

Just found out you can't get a ram mount for it so gonna have to make one.

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:49 - 14 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh i'm working out how to make a box some an enclousre from maplins, make a clear screen on the front and use an old mount to bolt into it (if it gets rained on i suspect it will royally fuck it)

Should be great once its all on.. also planning on makeing something to pick up the sound inside the enclousure and run into the helmet.. got some ideas..

(thanks for the replys all)

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 09:42 - 14 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:

If they have it in stock.

There seems to be a bit of a shortage at the moment.

According to the website they do Razz

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 12:19 - 14 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local didn't and I don't like waiting.

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:28 - 15 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm waiting till thursday for one, hopefully will be there by then..

Been reading the manual, allot of features for a tiny "cheap" unit like this.. its incredable how much cheaper these are now!

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:56 - 19 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following on from this thread... Garmin i3 mini review

RickHolt
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:25 - 19 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend buying from somewhere that you can take things back to if you change your mind. I spent ages wanting one, so I eventually bought one from Staples. They're terrible, I don't think it was that I had a bad one. You have to spend too much time concentrating on it. They're often wrong and don't give enough warning.

Just make sure you can take it back so you don't regret it.

Rick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:58 - 19 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes defenately, the navman i tryed in retrospect really was shit... i'd have floged it right away more or less...

Just gave the i3 gps its first "propper" road test, so will write that up in a bit.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 42 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1