Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Too dumb to make my own decisions, please help

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

ginguar
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:14 - 13 Mar 2006    Post subject: Too dumb to make my own decisions, please help Reply with quote

I am currently working as a recruitment consultant a job I hate so much it makes me feel physically sick and like crying everyday. It is getting to the point now where I am going to put my relationship at risk due to how unhappy I am.
At some point I want to go back to uni to study social work but there are huge financial implications to this.
I have a number of options.

1. Stay in my job.
2. Go and find another job and stay in it until my debts are paid off some time next year putting me in a better position for uni.
3. Stay in this job and hope I will be accepted into uni for sept this year.
4. Run away (25 is not too old to run away is it?)

I am not one who normally asks for advice but my current job is affecting my ability to think normally.

What would you do?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Katie
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:44 - 13 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know exactly how you feel about the job .... it's awful, and no one should stay in a job that makes them that unhappy.

First of all, is there any way you can resolve how you're feeling at work so you can stay there, or is it the actual job that you hate?

If not, the I would recommend looking for a new job that you can cope with, and stick with it while you do a bit of saving.

My Mum's a social worker, I'm not sure but there may be something you could start now in that field, that would put you in a better position for when you want to make a career as a social worker. She works in children's services, and there's a girl who started working in the office just answering the phone, using the computer and printing up reports for court ect. This girl now goes out on visits and is alot more involved in what goes on. I think she was studying aswell, but they are so desperate for people there might be some sort of thing you do where you work, and they help you out with the studying aswell if you want to make a career in social work. I'll find out for you.

I know it's hard but for now, just try and keep work at work, and leave it behind when you go home, I know that's really difficult but you don't want to let it affect your relationship anymore! Try and keep your chin up for now, and good luck! Thumbs Up

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 12:56 - 13 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What would you do?

Use the current job to find one you prefer for the time being at least.

Then do your research into social work courses etc...

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:56 - 13 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always study part time , or even full time , a university that was near me (not exactly the best but still in the top 70) , used to cram all lessons into ONE day (well one day and night or just nights) , so this is a route you can go down and keep your job.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

headlamp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:08 - 13 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too work in recruitment (I run my own business) so am intrigued to know what's wrong with where you are currently. Is it the 'pressure' of attaining the targets, or the type of recruitment, or maybe the environment....it can be soul destroying and you definitely have to be thick skinned to do it....but somone hired you so they thought you had potential! If any of these points can be changed then I'd stick at it till September until you (hopefully) get to Uni.

ginguar
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:15 - 13 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

headlamp wrote:
I too work in recruitment (I run my own business) so am intrigued to know what's wrong with where you are currently. Is it the 'pressure' of attaining the targets, or the type of recruitment, or maybe the environment....it can be soul destroying and you definitely have to be thick skinned to do it....but somone hired you so they thought you had potential! If any of these points can be changed then I'd stick at it till September until you (hopefully) get to Uni.

It's a number of factors; hours are too long, I work in a very small office so the peopl end up annoying me, it's healthcare recruitment so I don't exactly meet the cream of society, my boss is a bit evil, I am not keen on sales and the big one for me is that it is unbelievably boring.

Itchy the course I am looking at is 3 days a week so I will be able to work but sadly as I am a late applicant it is going to be ages before I know that I get in.

Katie - will look into more relevant jobs to help towards that field of work. I think I need things to take my mind of it, perhaps this is finally the time to take my bike test!

Reuben are you named after the band.

Can't believe nobody suggested running away! I was thinking of someone very hot too. Would have ruined my wedding plans but what the hell.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:58 - 13 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ginguar wrote:

It's a number of factors; hours are too long, I work in a very small office so the peopl end up annoying me, it's healthcare recruitment so I don't exactly meet the cream of society, my boss is a bit evil, I am not keen on sales and the big one for me is that it is unbelievably boring.

Can't believe nobody suggested running away! I was thinking of someone very hot too. Would have ruined my wedding plans but what the hell.

look before you leap ,anyway running away solves nothing since you cannot escape yourself no matter what you try.

carlnicholson...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:26 - 14 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm now far too tied down to do this, but if I could I would love to spend 6 monthe saving and then just fuck off.

Book a ticket for some random european country on monday, and arrive there on tuesday, with no plans, nothing.

The one good point about the EU is that you can just go where you want relatively unrestrited, and with safety comparable to that in the UK.

Just go, do what you want, maybe look for work, meet some people, come back, or don't. Whatever. It's up to you. Wink

BanditBitch
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:19 - 14 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ginguar wrote:
[it's healthcare recruitment so I don't exactly meet the cream of society.

Thats a bit of an odd comment, care to elaborate Question

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 09:45 - 14 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely sympathise.
I work in Public Sector Recruitment and it is a horrible job. No one ever has any money, and yet you *have to keep ringing these poor people to attain your targets. You know they don't have the budget for temp staff, and yet to reach you 100 marketing calls a week you have no choice.

I work until 6pm and don't feel like I have any time to spend with my partner.

Can you afford to leave the job and take part time work until you start university? If you are working part time (even if it's just taking some rubbish hospital reception work Wink ) you'll have plenty of opportunity to find some work experience in social work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

headlamp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:10 - 14 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ginguar, I do symapthise, and I guess I forget that there are many sectors and levels in recruitment. I am priviledged in that I tend to deal with senior management and learn about how companies operate and get to advise on their overall strategies. this site may help you - go to the Forum as I am sure I saw a post there not so long ago about a guy asking what to do after recruitment...it may restore your sanity!!

msgander
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:52 - 14 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally understand how you feel.......if you can find another job....happiness is key and health likewise.....no job is worth feeling that crap for..............

We all need money but if you can survive on anything slightly less and be happy its well worth it... Thumbs Up

ginguar
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:25 - 14 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

BanditBitch wrote:
ginguar wrote:
[it's healthcare recruitment so I don't exactly meet the cream of society.

Thats a bit of an odd comment, care to elaborate Question

Hi, sorry didn't mean it offensively just that unfortunately the care sector attracts some people who really shouldn't be working in care. We have a lot of smelly people apply who have bad attitudes. People seem to think care is easy money as it is well paying and seems to require little skill. This doesn't mean there aren't good care assistants just that we have a lot of crap put themselves forward for the job.

The good news is that I have an interview on Thursday with a training company involving less money but matched by less hours. It is general admin with the chance to become a mentor or online tutor. It's sounds excellent so fingers crossed.

Annabella are you tempted to leave?

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 15:21 - 14 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ginguar wrote:

Annabella are you tempted to leave?

I am indeed. Whilst I am on reasonably good money, I eat lunch at my desk, and am in the office until late as an out-doorsey person it's killing me...

It is a struggle to hit the targets set by our managing director as there are so few jobs available - there are eight in at the moment - eight vacancies! That's it!

I have applied for a different job as an Education and Training Advisor, which is much closer to what I want to be doing.

Just a case of keeping my CV up to date and keeping my eyes open for something more enjoyable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ZRX61
Victor Meldrew

PostPosted: 16:43 - 14 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ginguar wrote:

Or the sandwich?

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 22:35 - 14 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Quote:
Or the sandwich?

No idea what the relevance of this is, but no to both.

Used to play F1 game's alot with my mate on his Playstation/2, I was alway's Barrichello, and my real name is similar to Reuben. Well, it start's with R. Laughing

ginguar
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:37 - 14 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just something I always wanted to ask you. They are rather good.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 61 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1