Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

cambs "eye in the sky"

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 14:29 - 13 Mar 2006    Post subject: cambs "eye in the sky" Reply with quote

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cambridgeshire/4798528.stm

a helicopter, at 8000 feet, can photograph numberplates.

no info on it's purpose of use tho.. seems a very extravagent way to catch speeders

a

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:56 - 13 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chief Constable Julie Spence said: "The helicopter will be able to track criminals without them having any idea it is above them.

"It won't be visible from the ground because it is so high."

They should try catching crims on the ground first..

Like when someone uses the phone call system that was the trend years ago to report a crime.

Get the bobbies back on the streets....

Click....Rant Generator disengaged.

v4forlife
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:39 - 17 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i live in cambridge.....yipes

Method
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:43 - 17 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

v4forlife wrote:
i live in cambridge.....yipes

Your alive again Shocked

But yeah im local to cambridge, so sounds like i better calm down even more Wink

Nah im allright now, but still it does seem ilaberate to catch speeders - my guess is its mainly for chases - stolen cars that kind of thing...

Not sure though obviously.

*EDit : Oh yeah - Big Brother Is Coming Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:35 - 18 Mar 2006    Post subject: . Reply with quote

hey if they will hover at 8000ft instead of just a few yards over my house at 2 in the morning when chasing scumbags, I'm all for it! Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 21:53 - 18 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont believe they could get a pic of a license plate from 8000 feet due to the angles involved

Method
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:20 - 18 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its probably a pic of the car - then some boffins sit down and decifer it all and work out what the numberplate says..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 19:39 - 19 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they were directly above a car, then yes, there would be problems getting the plates. Any other angle, however small, would give them a chance to resolve the image and take the registration.

Remember satellite photos? We can do some crazy things with those, despite them having fairly small 'angles of attack' to give them perspective.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wooly R6
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:13 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

but how could they tell if a car was speeding!!!!

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 21:19 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are white markers on the road all over the place, a set distance apart.

All they need is a stopwatch.

They can easily get a photograph of a number plate by the way, as James said. Just go for an acute angle of attack and with a good enough camera (which they obviously have), you'd be able to see what you have sitting on the rear parcel shelf.

carlnicholson...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:29 - 22 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The technology involved in aerial photography is just stunning.

My RAF Sqn was a recce unit. The aircraft could take pics from silly heights (I.E. so the jet engines can't be heard from the ground), and the pics could then be blown up to make newspaper text on the ground clearly readable.

This isn't ground breaking technology, it's openly available, for the right money!

I just found out theres a suffix code for you licence if your caught by an aircraft aswell, now that would be kind of cool! Cool

akrapovic
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:17 - 24 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You only have to look at google earth to get an idea of whats available. If the common man gets to use that, can you imagine what technology the army/police etc have. Kinda scary having big brother watching you dont you think?

Motkram
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:05 - 25 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only go fast if it's cloudy Wink

GP125>GSF400>VFR400NC30>YZF600R>YZFR1(1998)+KLR250>YZFR1(2003)>CBR900RRY>YZFR1(2002)>GSXR1000K1+RGV250

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:18 - 25 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

akrapovic wrote:
You only have to look at google earth to get an idea of whats available. If the common man gets to use that, can you imagine what technology the army/police etc have. Kinda scary having big brother watching you dont you think?

what like PF filters that can see through certain clothing (there was a trial on the heathrow express that can see completely through clothes
)

facial recognition CCTV

ANPR

micro RFID tags

etc

Section59
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:18 - 25 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a crock of crap. Its just a camera that can zoom in further.

1. If its for catching crims in stolen cars, then does it really matter if they can see the numberplate or not, the theifs dont care because its not their car.

2. I seriously doubt its for catching speeders, the helicopter costs shit loads to run for a couple of hours, and are usually only used when theres a highspeed chase, or when searching for theifs and/or lost and injured people.

My opinion, is that the "can read numberplates from 8000 feet" is just an addon by some twat aimed to scare people. Take no notice.

@thx - I know the feeling, i live about 2 mins walk away from the local chopper base, its fking annoying trying to get to sleep with the racket it makes.

Gets on my nerves aswell, people round here dont mind a loud as **** police chopper flying over our heads all day and night long, but whenever we take the bikes out onto the local feilds, they all start moaning about noise.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 7 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1