Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What is it with plumbers??

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

owdamer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:24 - 13 Mar 2006    Post subject: What is it with plumbers?? Reply with quote

Right, We've had no central heating for 10 days now. Managed to get a plumber round the day it broke, he fitted a pump that didn't solve anything then left. He said it was something else and would order a part, but thenm all we got all week was excuses.
We got another plumber round on saturday. He slated the boiler installation and disagreed with what the first plumber had diagnosed.
He said he would come round tonight to sort it out, and then left, taking the boiler manual with him.
Girlfriend left work early this afternoon so she could let him in. No bloody sign of him.
Tried ringing. Just get the answerphone. Looks like another night without heat.
This is just fucking ridiculous. We're sat here now wondering if he will ring, or should we try to get another plumber round, what is it with these guys?????

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:32 - 13 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joke deleted because it really wasn't fu*kin' funny.

Last edited by Flip on 18:59 - 13 Mar 2006; edited 1 time in total

Black Knight
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:57 - 13 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a big bathroom installation done last year. Cost me about 8 grand.

I must have phone 10 different companies and they either didnt tuen up or didnt want to do it.

When I finally did get someone to do it, they estimated 8-10 days.
3 months later they were still on with it.

Cowboys.
Where does a turn end? 'Where you can do anything with the gas you want to, where you are brave again, where your attention is free from the turn, where you are sure you can do it better next time; that's the end' - Keith Code.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:24 - 13 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

flip wrote:
Joke deleted because it really wasn't fu*kin' funny.

It's the thot that counts mate. Laughing

owdamer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:28 - 13 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well he turned up. 45 mins late but he did turn up. restored my faith a bit. Turns out I know him. we both worked for Bae Systems at the same time. I had nearly 20 years in when I left at the end of 99. He left a couple of years later with a total of 27 years..

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:34 - 14 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the *uckin' heatin' workin' FFS? Laughing

ZRX61
Victor Meldrew

PostPosted: 03:03 - 14 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My water heater crapped out, Called up the plumber & asked "whats the warrenty on my wate heater?"
"6 years"
"Great, you buggers installed it 5 1/2 years ago, get Mr ButtCrack over there with a new one pronto"
2 hours later we're back in business..... Free $500 water heater Thumbs Up

Had to pay the fucker the labour tho, $265 for 2 fucking hours... Thumbs Down

owdamer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:54 - 14 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper wrote:
Is the *uckin' heatin' workin' FFS? Laughing

Unfortunately not............ Sad He says it needs a divertor valve, eighty odd quid.... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Sick he's getting that today, but cant come back to fit it until tomorrow so we have another cold night ahead...

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 12:29 - 14 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm Soooo glad I can do all my own DIY!..

just fitted my kitchen, including redoing the plumbing, rewiring and installing the appliances.

going to tackle the bathroom next

it's not rocket science.

a

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 13:15 - 14 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you have to be qualified for electrics otherwise its not legal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:17 - 14 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must be certified for Gas and Electrical Installation.
(Or you'll maybe wish you'd done 'rocket science' if you're not. )

zaknafien

PostPosted: 15:24 - 14 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

markcatate wrote:
Don't you have to be qualified for electrics otherwise its not legal.

As my mate once said 'If they're going to pay for it then fine otherwise fuck em.'

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 15:38 - 14 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

feef wrote:
...it's not rocket science...
Walloper wrote:
...maybe wish you'd done 'rocket science'...

Very Happy rocket science is easy (Newton's laws, etc.).
It's rocket engineering that's the real hard stuff Wink Very Happy

As for basic plumbing that's pretty straightforward now with push fit fittings and bendy pipes. Would still get a 'professional' in to do a shower and the like (more for the warranty). However, have to agree plumbers/electricians/builders at times are weird. Can't seem to give them work/money sometimes.

Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 16:47 - 14 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper wrote:
You must be certified for Gas and Electrical Installation.
(Or you'll maybe wish you'd done 'rocket science' if you're not. )

it only becomes an issue when you come to sell the house, but how often have you been asked for the cerificates for all appliances that have been fitted? I've never seen them.

it MIGHT become an issue if the house explodes in a fireball from a gas-leak, and the insurar may not pay out, but since the entire fitment of my gas hob invovled a push-twist bayonet fitting, I was not going to pay several £00 for someone to do that.

likewise with electrics.. I have fitted a properly earthed ring-main now installed in the kitchen to replace the dodgily fitted 5 socket spur that WAS in there (and allegedly certificated since it was the original wiring) I know I'd rather have what I have now, over what was there before, and yet technically, my safer installation is illegal.

go figure

a

Ant
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:33 - 14 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

there just robbing bastards Razz and maybee have enough work to do??!

And as for certificates for gas and electric, theres a new home pack or something like thats goto be made for every house sold from next year!! i'm guessing its to stop people diy ing!

it really is that quick
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:48 - 14 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

off the top of my head the electrics changed this year. you now have to be part 'p' qualified as a competent installer for works in bathrooms, kitchens, pool house (the swimming sort) and just about anywere where water and electricity are in close proximity.

any other works can still be carried out (i think) so long as you get them certified by a registered electrician or your local building inspector, both will of course make a charge.

as for the gas regulation. so long as you are working on your own home (not rented) and you do not charge or claim to be corgi registared you can carry out any work yourself. this is fu(king lunacy in my mind.

you can do the work yourself but get it commissioned by a corgi registared installer and get a safety certificate issued. if any work that you carryout is sub-standard and is dangerous then you are liable for prosecution under the gas safety regulations.

before working on gas do you know the prohibited locations for certain types of appliance?

do you know how to test to see if the installation is gas tight?

thats way gas installers charge so much because they can answer those question. and they worked fu(king hard getting qualifed and paying registration fees to trade bodies.

rob

i dont look like your average hortifuckingculturist

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 22:35 - 14 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

it really is that quick wrote:

before working on gas do you know the prohibited locations for certain types of appliance?

do you know how to test to see if the installation is gas tight?

yes, and yes.. and I know all about electrics as well.. which is why I resent having to pay someone who oftens knows less than I do (in the electrical stuff at least) to tell me I've done it properly.

a

owdamer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:35 - 15 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we still have no heating. 12 fucking days its been off now during the coldest spell for months. Just been told tomorrow but i've heard that so many times. The only thing colder than our house is a plumbers heart.
I never for one minute expected a plumber to come rushing out and fix it for me, but 12 days takes the piss. If I took that long to complete a job i'd be out on my arse.

BFG
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:36 - 15 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the IEE training years ago, including electrical, domestic, industrial 3-phase, plumbing; including gas, hydraulics, pnuematics and liquid nitrgoen transit. But, according to a Corgi plumber I had an argument (well, friendly debate) with recently, because I can't work out the correct gas pipe diameter for a 12m run in my head without looking it up, I'm not competent. And this was evidence of why I'm clearly not up to corgi registration. Fool. He then finished his job by leaving the connection to the gas meter hand tight, flooding our foundations with gas, and leaving the restrictor out of the boiler flue. Double fool. I have similar experience of many "qualified" tradesmen.

Corgi isn't all that. Corgi calcs ain't exactly thermodynamics and the 2k tag is very little compared with getting a real engineering qualification, or other industry attestations. Yet plumbers can always be heard saying an engineer can't do plumbing "because they aren't registered". It's like an MOT tester telling Rossi that he's not qualified to make adjustments to his bike because he doesn't have a government piece of paper.

What's one of the requirements of getting Corgi status? You have to be employed by another plumber for a certain period. Jobs for the boys. The teamsters would be proud.

I got a quote for 3k to replace a boiler. I asked how long it would take and he said a day and a half. Nice work if you can get it - £1600 a day wages! That's a lot more than a heart surgeon earns. If you are competent, don't let plumbers bully you into saying you can't do work yourself. Do it yourself, save a fortune, and then get the local council building inspector to check it for you. Perfectly safe and legal.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:18 - 15 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

CORGI

https://www.corgi-gas-safety.com/

It's there for the very important purpose to keep Havago Harry out of harms way. And more importantly, to help safeguard the rest of us.
But like most legislation it is never 100% failsafe.
But it is good sense to consider a qualified guy to do this sort of work for you if you want to be safe.

Think of your neighbours you selfish/tight fisted ignoramus.

I know I can build an aeroplane but I'd like an 'aeroplane chap' to give it a once over before taking the kids to school in it.

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 10:05 - 16 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper wrote:
I know I can build an aeroplane but I'd like an 'aeroplane chap' to give it a once over before taking the kids to school in it.

even if you know more than the Aeroplane chap?

My dad had this issue with his business.

he had to do a course to become certified in some electrical gubbins, so he could install and repair the equipment he designs and manufactures.

he can MAKE something, can certify it himself to EU regs (as he's a qualified engineeer) but once it's built, can't install it, or repair it onsite cos he's not an "electrician"? bollox.

he also had to go on a special "ropes" course to deal with handling cableways..

even tho he's writen the BSI, (and soon to be adopted ISO) standards for spanning cableway systems, and is the UK delegate for the BSI on spanning cableways. He's WRITTEN the stuff they are teaching him.

you're telling me he's a tightfisted ignoramus have-a-go harry?

I agree that for the majority, who may have 0.5 of a clue, there needs to be something to check they have done the job right, but it doesn't stop it being significantly frustrating for those of us who sometimes have double the clue of those who are supposed to certify us.

a

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:30 - 16 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

feef wrote:
Walloper wrote:

even if you know more than the Aeroplane chap?

My dad had this issue with his business.

he had to do a course to become certified in some electrical gubbins, so he could install and repair the equipment he designs and manufactures.

he can MAKE something, can certify it himself to EU regs (as he's a qualified engineeer) but once it's built, can't install it, or repair it onsite cos he's not an "electrician"? bollox.

he also had to go on a special "ropes" course to deal with handling cableways..

even tho he's writen the BSI, (and soon to be adopted ISO) standards for spanning cableway systems, and is the UK delegate for the BSI on spanning cableways. He's WRITTEN the stuff they are teaching him.

you're telling me he's a tightfisted ignoramus have-a-go harry?

I agree that for the majority, who may have 0.5 of a clue, there needs to be something to check they have done the job right, but it doesn't stop it being significantly frustrating for those of us who sometimes have double the clue of those who are supposed to certify us.

a

It would have been simpler for you to say there are exceptions.
But I personally don't care about exceptions. I like to be certain.

CORGI is a very sensible safeguard.

The 'Ignoranti' among us will abuse.

owdamer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:22 - 16 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

AT LAST, WE HAVE HEATING!!!!

Our new plumber turned up at 9pm tonight with his mate. Fitted a new divertor valve and jobs a good un. central heating working again. No leaks, no mess, No Fuss. Been a bit of a stressfull week due to us worrying if he would turn up tho.

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:51 - 17 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you kicked his CORGI in the nuts for all the unnecessary angst his behaviour brought into the forum?

Glad yous are snug now Laughing
(But poorer. Crying or Very sad )
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 47 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1