Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Mini Fridges

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 19:00 - 14 Mar 2006    Post subject: Mini Fridges Reply with quote

Right, i got a mahoosive minifridge just over a week ago.

It was making the odd funny noise. Usual fridge noises. Kinda like a whurr and then cork popping noises.

Thats not a problem.

The thing thats started to worry me a tad is its starting to sound like i have a hamster cage at the foot of my bed. Scratching, clicking, popping etc.

Now the only things i can think of, is not enough air space at the back (theres about an inch) or too much and crap is falling down it... ?

Anyone know any big no-nos with big fridges? Its not a shitty argos thing, its a proper bar sized stella beastie. Its about half a meter cube.
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

greatmoorred
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:02 - 14 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think they are just noisy buggers.
we dont usualy notice it when they are in the kitchen, but put one in a very quiet bedroom and it wont shut up.

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 19:18 - 14 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

greatmoorred wrote:
but put one in a very quiet bedroom and it wont shut up.

I agree with this. However. Weird scratching and cracking noises....
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BFG
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:39 - 14 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our fridge complains with noise if it's not absolutely dead level front to back and side to side. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

it really is that quick
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:59 - 14 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you turned it on for the first time in ur room had you left it so the gas could settle after you moved it. Fridges can be really funny if they've been moved and the refridgerant has got bubbles in it.

turn it off for a few hours (3-4) and then turn back on, should still keep contents cold if you dont open the door.

rob.

i dont look like your average hortifuckingculturist

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:04 - 14 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a mini fridge thing, it makes noises like those a couple of times a day. Solution is to hit it. Hit it firmly on the top, couple of times with reasonable force and it's usually shutup.

If after hitting it a few times it's still making noise then try picking it up about a foot off the ground and dropping it.. Probably not very good for the fridge but if hitting it doesn't work the only thing available to try is dropping it.

Dunno if this is how you're meant to fix fridges but it works for me. Razz

NBO
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 01:11 - 15 Mar 2006    Post subject: Re: Mini Fridges Reply with quote

bonny_ricardo wrote:

Scratching, clicking, popping etc.

Now the only things i can think of, is not enough air space at the back (theres about an inch) or too much and crap is falling down it... ?

Anyone know any big no-nos with big fridges? Its not a shitty argos thing, its a proper bar sized stella beastie. Its about half a meter cube.

Scratching, dunno. Maybe a fan motor or something locking in the compressor. pretty unlikely as it's new..

Clicking, if the fridge has poor air circulation around it or lots of crap has fallen down the back and is insulating the hot coil this will cause an increase in head pressure and temperature, as the head pressure rises so does the temperature of the compressor, the compressor has a thermal switch fitted to it, this switch will cut in and out as the body of the compressor rises above safe, click off, and when the temp reaches normal, it will click the compressor on. safety switch.

Popping noises, usually caused by liquid flood back. This is a term used when liquid refrigerant reaches the compressor, the liquid refrigerant will enter the compressor and mix with warm compressor oil, at this point a rapid state of change takes place from liquid to gas, this change of state can case a popping.
A few causes of liquid flood back, too much gas, badly sized expansion device, cold coil fan not working, hot coil fan not working, a lack of cooling around the hot coil/unit.

After saying that I have no idea exactly what fridge you have, if it's themorelectric the above is redundant.

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 01:32 - 15 Mar 2006    Post subject: Re: Mini Fridges Reply with quote

NBO wrote:

After saying that I have no idea exactly what fridge you have, if it's themorelectric the above is redundant.

One of these bad boys

Dunno what type it is.
Would turning the fridge down help at all?
Im going to by a spirit level and sort out some way to protect it from stuff falling down the back/side without impeding airflow, so more then likely ducktaping gauze over bits of it.

Its kind of just sat next to my tv/ps/bed/cabinet/wardrobe, ie in the way and used as a coffee table, so unfortunately crap us getting everywhere (i fear).

NBO
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 02:32 - 15 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think turning the fridge down will just prolong run time, you may reach a colder temp inside but it shall run for longer and if it is clicking out because it is hot and/or we have liquid return it may not be the best thing for it really. In the long run it may damage the compressor.

I guess best thing to do is make sure all is clear around it and leave a big air gap all round if possible, maybe a minimum of six inches, if that helps none then it will get a little more complicated.
We shall need to measure internal temp, hot coil temp and liquid line/suction line temperature, ambient air to try work out pressures and stuff..

I haven't seen many husky fridge so am a little unclear of exact design, but tbh, they are all much alike minus one or two items.... l

fingers crossed it just needs some air.

TOM M
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:26 - 17 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
I've got a mini fridge thing, it makes noises like those a couple of times a day. Solution is to hit it. Hit it firmly on the top, couple of times with reasonable force and it's usually shutup.

If after hitting it a few times it's still making noise then try picking it up about a foot off the ground and dropping it.. Probably not very good for the fridge but if hitting it doesn't work the only thing available to try is dropping it.

Dunno if this is how you're meant to fix fridges but it works for me. Razz

Agree with this, ive got a mini fridge back at uni and it makes the exact same noises, when i hit the top of it they stop and it works fine again.

Kwaks
I'm not a fast rider

PostPosted: 18:55 - 17 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said before you should always leave a fridge to settle before powering up,we always recommended 6 hours to be safe Shocked ,swith it off for a while and it may be better when you start it up again.

Cillit-BANG
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:35 - 17 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's a mini fridge, but it's massive?

How big is a mini fridge before it comes a fridge?

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 17:17 - 18 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cillit-BANG wrote:
So it's a mini fridge, but it's massive?

How big is a mini fridge before it comes a fridge?

When you can fit bodies in it
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 72 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1