Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

ok - off topic but i need help with a network router

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to The Geek Zone by G (15 Mar 2006 - 16:30)
View previous topic : View next topic  

Blunet600
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:24 - 15 Mar 2006    Post subject: ok - off topic but i need help with a network router Reply with quote

please i need help. i have got a USB adpater that will enable a wireless netwrok connection but i dont have the router, now i need to get the MR814 netgear router, but apparently i need an ethernet connection on the broadband modem. can any1 help, an can i just get an additional modem without affecting the serve provider?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Cillit-BANG
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:26 - 15 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick it in the relevent forum Thumbs Up

There's even a dedicated forum titled 'The Geek Zone'

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:23 - 16 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of broadband do you have ADSL or cable?

Does your PC have an ethernet connection.

Yes you can get ethernet routers, such as the D-link 604 T, but these
are aimed at cable users. (They are cheap ie £20) (ie if you are Telewest or NTL)

If you have ADSL at home and want a router to connect to the ADSL broadband and share with 4 others, then go for something like a D-link 504 T they're about £45 all in.

Forget about USB modems, i've probably binned over 50 of em. They offer no protection, they are machine specific and a waste of time. You need a router.

There is no point messing about having 2 routers, because you bought the wrong kit.

(Unless you live in Finland, but thats a long story... basicaly there broadband doesn't like to be routed, only bridged, don't get me started, what a week that was).

Blunet600
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:21 - 16 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have ADSL, USB modem , it came with the ISP - AOL.
How will i be abel to make the Netgear mr814 router work? coz this will allow me to use my wiresless usb adapters.
yes i have an ethernet connection in my pc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Davo
Davo To The Rescue!

PostPosted: 18:43 - 16 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like your going to need something like a Netgear DG834, quite cheap these days, have built in wireless and are easy to setup.

AOL have some funny settings when it comes to setting the router up, I believe you need to change the MTU to 1400.

Also you need to set another screen name up through your AOL software, and set the router to use that screen name.

If you need any help, don't hesitate to PM me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

flat spot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:39 - 16 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your router is ethernet and your modem hasn't got an ethernet connection you can't join them together. You'll have to buy a ethernet modem.

T1z3R
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:31 - 16 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

or a different router...like the one below.

https://www.misco.co.uk/productinformation/~104049~WW~/index.htm

got one of these for my mate last week and its cracking for the price.
its got the modem, router and wifi all built in.

Blunet600
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 21:10 - 16 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh i doo need help. i havent got the router yet, and i aim to buy the netgear mr814 because i have 2 wireless usb adapters already to connect to tmy other computr and laptop.
Now my modem is a USB modem, and i ahve been told that the MR814 will niot work with a usb modem, is there anyway round it, all will i need to get a new modem and if i buy a new modem will this affetc my ISP and connection speeds and payment to my ISP??
Also is it possible to get a router that will be compatibel with the USB adapters i alreayd have, the M111, i thought it owuld only work with other USB products.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 17 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1