Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Randomly decided to paint a chunk of my bike today...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:09 - 15 Mar 2006    Post subject: Randomly decided to paint a chunk of my bike today... Reply with quote

Not sure if this should go in here, general chat or pictures, but here goes.

Had a random urge to paint my front mudguard matt black today. So i did. First thing i did was march down to halfrauds. 400, 800, and 1200 wet and dry went straight into my helmet (at this point being used as a shopping basket) along with plastikote primer and satin black. Both look identical, but figured i'd be proper about things.

Removing the mudguard. What an ordeal! The first picture of the mudguard shows it straight after removal. Those clips had to be hammered off the back of the bolts because the nuts were spinning in their housings on the other side of the clip. Finally got them off, though i had to resort to mole grips for the last of them.

Prepping - I took the good old 400 grit, a bucket of water and went beserk. You can never be overly-patient with the prepping, so i wet sanded, and left it to dry. Re-examined the paintwork, then sanded once more over the high spots, and any spots i'd missed. A couple of pieces of grit had got caught under the wet 'n' dry, too and left huge streaks. More sanding. More yet again with the 800 to get a smooth finish.

Painting - Meths + rag + elbow grease = paintable surface. I gave it a nice rub down with the meths then left it to dry. All of the garage was covered in newspaper, old carpet etc... I also made sure i draught-proofed the garade door round the bottom to stop the dust being lifted by the breeze. This also meant i was rather high. In these kind of temperatures, it's normally advisable to put the paint/primer into lukewarm water (if it's too hot for your hand, it's too hot for your paint can). This helps you to get a fine spray. Using a little spray gun adapter thingy i bought a while back, i started spraying the primer. I moved with the curve of the mudguard, from front to back keeping perpendicular and keeping the same distance.

Prepping Pt 2 - time for more sanding. This time i used wet 1200 grit and i rubbed very bloody lightly. Taking your time rubbing lightly is a hell of a lot better than taking paint off and wasting a hell of a lot of time building the layers back up.

Anyway, 1 more layer of primer, and 2 more layers of paint (sanding very very very lightly between each coat) and i'm done. And i'm pretty chuffed with 4 hours work!

I just wanted to put this in her so if anyone is considering spraying anything there's a wee little guide. I'm sure i could be corrected on how to do a few things, but i'm happy with the finish!

Expand the pictures to full size to get the best out of them, they turn even poorer quality when they're downsized by the browser.

Jack

Last edited by Jack_Cheese on 22:50 - 15 Mar 2006; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:44 - 15 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your picturs are f*cking useless. Or it's my computer Confused

Am sure the quality is good though...the paintwork that is.

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:48 - 15 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

instigator wrote:
Your picturs are f*cking useless. Or it's my computer Confused

Am sure the quality is good though...the paintwork that is.

Them photos are shocking!!

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:49 - 15 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to load em as .gif files due to the size. Humm, i think i'll try and rectify that little situation...

Jack

:edit: Expand the pics to full size, they're not nearly as poo!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Groove
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:09 - 15 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

What bike you got? Thumbs Up
|| Past: 1991 Kawasaki ZXR 250 ~ 2003 Honda CBR 600 F Sport ~ 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R B1H 636 ~ 1999 Yamaha R1 ~ 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R J ~ 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R B1H 636 ~ 1998 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm ~ K1 GSXR 600 Track bike ~ K6 GSXR 1000 ~ 2006 Speed Triple 1050 || Current: 2005 R1 https://www.adrucore.co.uk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:11 - 15 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cagiva planet 125. The front mudguard is basically the same as a monster, but the retaining arms don't strech down as far.

I never thought a bike manufactured by an MV Augusta owned company could have such annoying retaining clips. It beggars belief!.

Jack

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:24 - 15 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grab yourself a copy of imageready (comes with adobe creative Suite) does wonders resizing images.

Method
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:11 - 16 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ewwwwwwwwwwww

Cant realy tell if the paint job was decent or not,

Ive never seen that happen with pics before Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

fast_tzr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:36 - 16 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like he said just expand them to full size, you can see them fine then, looks like you did a pretty good job, though the primer and final result do look the same.

owdamer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:45 - 16 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did you use to take the pictures? a box brownie?? a crayon??

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:24 - 17 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sony cyber shot 1.3Mp. Not a bad camera, tis a bit old, though. It's because they're .gif files that the quality is so crumby.

Anyway, i replaced the shovel of a numberplate hanger today, and got some small indicators. Had to do some chopping and shaping to get it to fit, but it worked well, and i'm happy with the results Cool I'll post some pics up later.

Jack

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 15:20 - 18 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you've used paint to convert them to .gif's. Did the same thing to some of mine yesterday.

Sort some decent photos out, or if they're too big reduce the size. (easy to do in paint Wink)

nrml76
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:59 - 18 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice thread Thumbs Up . Just the inspiration I need to get started on my top fairing. It's broken in three places though, so it will be a challenge to get it back to new. Where did you source your paint, primer and the spray gun adapter thingy, and how much did they cost?

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:24 - 18 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paint and primer was from B&Q, just under £6 a can. The adaptor thingy i got from halfrauds cost about £1.99 or something - it really saves the ache on your fingers. What colour you doing your fairing?

Jack

nrml76
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:39 - 18 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Candy ligntning blue. TBH, It might be cheaper just waiting for one to turn up on ebay.

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:39 - 18 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the pics up on bikepics.com https://www.bikepics.com/members/jackcheese/ There's one of my tidier rear, and a photo of the front mudguard. the lighting is a bit poo, so i think i'll have to replace a couple of photos. The fuel tank is next for a matt-blacking!

Jack

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 21:32 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job and next time just upload the pics as jpeg's at www.imageshack.us its alot easier mate Wink

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:14 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack_Cheese wrote:
Got the pics up on bikepics.com https://www.bikepics.com/members/jackcheese/
Jack

chain looks a touch slack on those pics, I used to have a planet and it seemed to eat through chains (seeing the evil fuel tap again brings back bad memories). Might want to tighten that badboy Thumbs Up being a 17 yr old muppet when I had my planet, I neglected it pretty badly and the chain slipped off the rear sprocket on mine Rolling Eyes not nice Smile

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:19 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reminder Thumbs Up I noticed it on the morning i took those photos, but i've since forgotten (obviously). Did you have a paddock stand for yours, and if so - did you use bobbins, because i can't see any mounting points for bobbins at all!

I'm going to get some daylight pictures tomorrow, and i should be respraying my tank sometime later this week provided i can get it off because, contrary to popular belief, this bike seriously does not want to come apart.

Jack

palmer
Fiddled Kiddy

PostPosted: 10:10 - 21 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

arent .jpeg smaller files + better quality than .gif?

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:19 - 21 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got some daytime pics of my work on the arse end on bike pics. I had to cut the numberplate hanger down on the inner sliding part to allow it to fit between the holes on the end of the grabrails. I then had to file open the holes to allow the indicators to fit through. A few things fouled here and there, so had to be chopped and shaped, and the left indicator needs another washer going on the bolt to space it out. Looks 10x better than stock, though!

https://www.bikepics.com/pictures/545756/

Jack

airpig
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:34 - 25 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanting to prep and paint my fairings but wondering if have to get rid of decals first or just get straight to it with the wet and dry?

Cheers Thumbs Up

NC30UK
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:28 - 25 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes you do, the decals on factory paint jobs are on top of the paint, and under the laquer. You should sand through the laquer, peel off the stickers, smooth it all down, primer, sand, coat, sand, coat, sand, coat, sand, laquer.

jonnay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:44 - 25 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice tail Smile

Just need them L plates refitting now, ey? Razz

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:12 - 25 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnay wrote:
Nice tail Smile

Just need them L plates refitting now, ey? Razz

LIKE FUCK!

airpig wrote:
Wanting to prep and paint my fairings but wondering if have to get rid of decals first or just get straight to it with the wet and dry?

The decals my be on top of the lacquer or between the lacquer and the paint depending on the make/model. Most manufacturers these days seem to put them on top of the lacquer. You have to remove them before painting.

Also, if you have any filling to do, sand it back to bare plastic, else the filler will detatch from any paint underneath it after a while, and cause a ghost line in your paint work. Use a rough sand paper (240 grit or coarser) on any surfaces to be filled, so it can get a good grip.

Lastly, before painting use methylated spirits to clean the paint on the pannel, it'll get rid of any oil/grease.

Jack
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 36 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2