Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What ever next

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Topic moved: from Everything Else to Politics & Current Affairs by Bendy (16 Mar 2006 - 10:43)
View previous topic : View next topic  

ISLAND GIRL
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:41 - 16 Mar 2006    Post subject: What ever next Reply with quote

'Racist' number plates banned

A genuine racist concern or political correctness gone mad?? The DVLA has confirmed it's not allowing customised number plates featuring HW06 to be sold on the Island because it says they're considered racist and offensive. Earlier this month, the new registrations for 2006 came into force on the Island which feature the denomination HW06 - HW being the code set aside for new cars in Hampshire and on the Isle of Wight. But if - for example - you wanted to purchase a personalised number such as HW06 IOW - you're not allowed to buy it - as it may be offensive to black people. The DVLA says the number 6 could be read as a G on a number plate and when put next to the WO bit - it forms a three letter word which is considered racist. In a statement - the DVLA says any number plates with the combination W06 or WOG have been withheld from general sale because it may cause offence. However, the restrictions do not affect new registration cars bought after the 1st March which means you will see cars with HW06 plates driving around the Island.

yzf750r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:52 - 16 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

why is this under 'everything else' sale section Confused

Anyway on the subject, one word, Pathetic!!!!! Evil or Very Mad

ISLAND GIRL
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:58 - 16 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because I thought it was the best place to put it, not directly linked to bikes now is it Confused If the admin wish to move it then I sure they will do so for me Very Happy

byke95
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:34 - 16 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just plain odd that is, none of the black people I know would have ever made the link between WO6 and WOG and even if they had I doubt it'd cause offence, I'm pretty sure one of them would have wanted one for himself!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

it really is that quick
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:39 - 16 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm glad you explained the W06 could be rewriiten as WOG, because i sat looking at it for ages and couldn't see what it could possibly become.

I am glad that the money we pay in road tax is been diverted to such important and worthwhile projects. Laughing and not being wasted resurfacing or making the roads safer.

rob

i dont look like your average hortifuckingculturist
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ISLAND GIRL
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:46 - 17 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tell ya people, the Isle of Wight is simply going mad. Think its going backwards not forwards. Both annoying and pathetic. Sad

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 09:32 - 17 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ISLAND GIRL wrote:
the Isle of Wight is simply going mad. Think its going backwards not forwards. (

Its due to all the in-breading. Razz

But back on topic, what a sodding farce really, do some middle class white people have nothing better to do than sit around and think about what some people may find offensive?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 09:49 - 17 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a 21st century version of the White Man's Burden.

Well-meaning do-gooders get a little bit of power, and are overcome by what they perceive as the vast responsibility of their role, and their obligation to protect society.

The ability to change things gradually becomes a need to change things, to fufill their craving for self-worth.

It's for your own good.

xlizx
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:55 - 17 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a girl who's black (OMG, BLACK DID I SAY BLACK? Wink and she gets annoyed if people call her coloured. I once asked her why, as I was under the impressiopn that was the PC way of doing things nowadays, and she was like "Coloured? My colour is black! If I'm cloured, I could be green, blue or purple! I'm black!"
Surely we're 'coloured' too, being white/pink? Political correctness is indeed crazy, most people don't give a shit what colour, height or age someone is, its the person inside that counts.

biker-dj
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:26 - 17 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I despair really I do, took me ages to work out what it meant - just shows what the people "at the top" think - showing their racist colours aren't they Wink Confused
And while I am here IG just to go a bit off topic, I have just sold my car to someone...wait for it.... from the IOW, now considering I live in Kent, that seems a long way to travel, she mentioned that car prices on the Island are expensive.. is that right IG Question Confused are they really that expensive that it warrants people to come to the mainland Question Sorry to go off-topic but I've been meaning to ask that Laughing

innominate
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:29 - 17 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its stupid.

Would gladly have this as my numberplate
K1LL WH13TY
I, as a responsible adult human being, will never concede the power to anyone to regulate my choice of what I put into my body, or where I go with my mind. From the skin inwards is my jurisdiction, is it not? I choose what may or may not cross that border. Here I am the customs agent. I am the coast-guard. I am the sole legal and spiritual government of this territory, and only the laws I choose to enact within myself are applicable.

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 18:33 - 17 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

innominate wrote:
Would gladly have this as my numberplate
K1LL WH13TY

Isn't Richard Whitley already dead though? Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Philwild
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:48 - 17 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone at work told me that in a primary school somewhere they have replaced "Baa Baa Black Sheep" with "Baa Baa Rainbow Sheep" so as not to offend certain people!!! Shocked

Whether its true or not I don't know (i'm suspecting it is with all this P/C pish!).

greatmoorred
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:51 - 17 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh dear.
Surely the pc brigade are the most racist of us all. They are ALWAYS thinking about it Very Happy

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 19:55 - 17 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philwild wrote:
Someone at work told me that in a primary school somewhere they have replaced "Baa Baa Black Sheep" with "Baa Baa Rainbow Sheep" so as not to offend certain people!!! Shocked

Whether its true or not I don't know (i'm suspecting it is with all this P/C pish!).

Its true, my sister works in a nursey

Rolling Eyes
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650,KZ750 Present:G650XC,C12,CRF450X,1190ADV

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 20:03 - 17 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there actually any black people on that little in-bred island for them to somehow get offended by it? Laughing

flat spot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:50 - 17 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i'm glad you explained the W06 could be rewriiten as WOG, because i sat looking at it for ages and couldn't see what it could possibly become.

Sadly I was trying to think what a HW0GIOW was and put it down to being old and not "with it" anymore.

As for the Isle of Wight, aren't they all goat sacrificing cult members there? I'm thinking someone's in a wicker man type situation as we speak. Confused

ISLAND GIRL
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:08 - 18 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hex wrote:
ISLAND GIRL wrote:
the Isle of Wight is simply going mad. Think its going backwards not forwards. (

Its due to all the in-breading. Razz

But back on topic, what a sodding farce really, do some middle class white people have nothing better to do than sit around and think about what some people may find offensive?

We are not in bred, its down to all the do-gooders, I too would not of noticed the work WOG out of the number plate HWO6.
And its also all the overners moving over, mainly olds dictating to us what we can and cannot do, most annoyin. I was born here and have seen the Island get worse and worse over the years, even our councillors are mainly old, boring, and from the mainland Evil or Very Mad

Biker-dj, there are so so many cars for sale all the time here, best to buy private, the dealers will try and sell cars so much more expensive yes but then I gather all dealers are the same where ever they are.
Houses too over the last five years have rocketed although wages have not so more and more first time buyers are out priced, simply unable to buy their first home. It seems to be going full circle, the rental market seems to have risen some what while people from say London have sold up their mega expensive homes and come here and quite comfortably brought an Island home.

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:29 - 18 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

greatmoorred wrote:
oh dear.
Surely the pc brigade are the most racist of us all. They are ALWAYS thinking about it Very Happy

PC is so fecking wrong.

Why is it wrong for me to sing Baa Baa Black sheep to my 2 year old son, and its a chalk board not a black board anymore.

For fuck sake, pull yourselves together you offensive female genatlia Middle Finger

ISLAND GIRL
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:52 - 18 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree whosthedaddy, pc has just gone stupid, bloody stupid. We are just wondering how long it will be before the Isle of Wight is renamed Isle of ????? Sad

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 12:16 - 18 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainbow Island?

Isle of Multi-cuturalism?

The Islamic Fundamentalist Province of Honkey?

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:23 - 18 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ISLAND GIRL wrote:
We are just wondering how long it will be before the Isle of Wight is renamed Isle of ????? Sad

What about place names? Blackgang Chine Confused

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 12:32 - 18 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised

You can't accuse black people of belonging to gangs! Whatever next?! Asians owning small businesses?!

ISLAND GIRL
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:45 - 18 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister James wrote:
Surprised

You can't accuse black people of belonging to gangs! Whatever next?! Asians owning small businesses?!

No, there really is a place called Blackgang Chine, lmao!
We are no different to the Isle of Man (brother in law lives there), just normal folk like anywhere else, pop over and see for yourselves Wink

Fortuna
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:07 - 18 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's a WOG?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 71 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2