Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Rossi challenges Alonso to a duel

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 11:06 - 16 Mar 2006    Post subject: Rossi challenges Alonso to a duel Reply with quote

https://motoring.iafrica.com/formulaone/974503.htm

Quote:
Valentino Rossi has challenged Fernando Alonso to a racing duel — to see which of the world champions is faster.

biggerjohn
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:35 - 16 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that would make for some interesting viewing.

Let’s hope it more than piss and wind and they actually go through with it and race and show it all on TV.

craigs23
Mr Muscle

PostPosted: 13:25 - 16 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, so is Alonso going to be able to make up a 20 second deficit (unless he's a better biker than Schumacher) using a Rally Car and F1 plane?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NC30UK
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:31 - 16 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rossi will be about 10+ secs per lap quicker on the bike.
Alonso might be as much as 2 seconds quicker in the F1 car.
Rally car rossi has shown he is every bit as quick as some of the best drivers in the world, so i can't see alonso keeping up with him.

What about a standing quarter mile drag race?
They did this a while back, but it was against a superbike. I think it would be alot closer with a motoGP bike with 260+bhp and traction control.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:04 - 16 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

NC30UK wrote:

What about a standing quarter mile drag race?
They did this a while back, but it was against a superbike. I think it would be alot closer with a motoGP bike with 260+bhp and traction control.

No where near, I expect. And it wouldn't prove much about the rider/driver.
The F1 car has a big advantage thanks to the downforce and it's traction control.

I doubt traction control makes a big difference on a moto gp bike because they would be doing something seriously wrong if they are losing traction in a drag race.

Mr.Everready
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:15 - 16 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with G, a F1 car would beat a moto GP bike hands down.
With two giant sticky tyres and traction control with 800 or 900 hp would be more than enough for the bike.

craigs23
Mr Muscle

PostPosted: 15:36 - 16 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a straight line though, I'm not so sure (here goes this subject again). Don't MotoGP bikes post higher top speeds at the same tracks than those raced by F1. Catalunya for example, F1 cars do around 205-210mph down the start/finsh straight (316kph according to the official F1 website), Loris Capirossi posted 217mph on his Ducati (347kph). That's despite the car's better aerodynamics (too much downforce for straight line speed), higher corner exit speed and more ground covered before it needs to brake. On outright laptimes, naturally, a bike doesn't stand a chance against an upsidedown 4 wheeled areoplane.

However, I'd expect, once set up for 400m, the F1 car could beat the bike...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 16:09 - 16 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they were allowed dynamically repositionable wings I expect F1 cars could be a lot quicker top end.

snuff2005
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:11 - 16 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would love to see that

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 11:18 - 17 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The off-topic portion of this thread has been moved here:
https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=77662

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:58 - 17 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

F1 cars are slow in the quarter mile, they take around 2.2 seconds to get to 60 and run around a 9 second quarter, you can buy a car of e-bay.com for about $25,000 that will remove the ass of an F1 car in a straight line. The main pace of the F1 car is in corner speed, where the bikes tend to get left behind, especially since the F1 cars have lost 200 or so horsepower. If you want a better comparison of pure straight line speed, try it against an indy car, they are properly fast. They also have wings made for speed, rather than cornering. The massive downforce on an F1 car would only hinder the time, i doubt it would breach 150 MPH during the run so it is hardly like it needs it.

For reference the Harley Destroyer (factory drag bike) has around 190 horsepower (though it does have a square slick and a good wheely combatting length) and runs low 9's and is reckoned to be in the 8s with a good (light) rider.

But, as has been mentioned, this would not be a good way of deciding who was the better driver really, though it takes a good technique to keep a bucking car in a straight line whilst under 8 lateral gs of acceleration (recently recorded in the cockpit of a top fueler, who said driving in a straight line was easy?).

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 17:35 - 17 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's not about whether the bike is faster than the F1 car...

it's about the two of them head for head, in like for like machinery..

Quote:
"Well, I think we should drive a Formula 1 car, a World Rally car and a MotoGP bike, add the times together and then we will see who is the fastest."

LondonBiker
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:10 - 17 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think all this crap is overrated. Just let them race, swap wifes have romatic diners together...do we really care..

Damnn...

SoND
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:01 - 17 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd watch it, can't see it actually happening though.

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:29 - 18 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see it happening if they shared sponsors like the Marlboro organised Max Biaggi (i think) VS Tommi Makkinen VS Michael Schuhmacher thing a while ago.

Would be an awesome sight. Isn't there some competition called "Ultimate driver" or something? There was a tournament where drivers would compepte in different disciplines, and the overall winner took the trophy. Schumacher dropped out in the second round! It would be nice to see bikes integrated into that, then we would have a proper comparisson of who is faster.

Jack

Adam_P
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:35 - 19 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

This race will never, ever happen. Ever.

No, really, it won't. It's all for the PR coverage in the media.

It will never happen.

NC30UK
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 02:35 - 19 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

They did one of those for bikes, a kind of ultimate rider thingy.

Was dirt bikes, supermoto and road racing.

seemed to be dominated by dirt bike races who road sports bikes on the road.

GearboxGeezer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:38 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

F1 car would piss over a moto gp bike. 0-100mph, then back down to 0mph again in 6 secs for an f1 car. and if it was a drag race then the f1 car will just take off all its wing and would reach very high speeds.

I think Rossi would beat Alson on eqaul machinery. and since its probably easyer to drive an F1 car with not much experience than jump on a MOTO GP bike with not much experience im gessing Rossi would win by a big margin

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:42 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

GearboxGeezer wrote:
F1 car would piss over a moto gp bike. 0-100mph, then back down to 0mph again in 6 secs for an f1 car. and if it was a drag race then the f1 car will just take off all its wing and would reach very high speeds.

Up to 100, there's not much in it.
Back to 0 the F1 car is massively quicker thanks to it's longer wheel base and lower centre of gravity.

GearboxGeezer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:59 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
GearboxGeezer wrote:

Up to 100, there's not much in it.
Back to 0 the F1 car is massively quicker thanks to it's longer wheel base and lower centre of gravity.

And the fact they got wings, 4 very sticky tyres. Even lough I am amazed at how F1 drivers drive consistantly for long distances with the fact that if you turn 1 hundreth of a second later than your should be it could mean the fact that your off the track. I still think MOTO GP is more exciting, and more skill is needed to handle them things.

SoND
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:47 - 21 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be a good idea if they did let Rossi and Alonso duel. I'd imagine there would be huge publicity and a lot of money to be made.

judderman3000
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:17 - 25 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

come on lets be serious, rossi likely to win around a track, F1 on a drag race due to traction control and the sheer brunt of the engine and rossi is likely to win on a rally course, overall rossi wins by a substantial amount!

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:46 - 26 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, but an F1 wouldn't win a drag race. A standard cbr-1000 is only 1 second slower than an f1 in the quarter mile, i'd imagine a moto gp bike (or even a world superbike) would take it down.

Adam_P
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:14 - 26 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

lilredmachine wrote:
I'm sorry, but an F1 wouldn't win a drag race. A standard cbr-1000 is only 1 second slower than an f1 in the quarter mile, i'd imagine a moto gp bike (or even a world superbike) would take it down.

No, it wouldn't. The F1 car would beat it. The power, traction and control the F1 would have over the bike would be considerable. It wouldn't be a huge distance, I grant you, but the car would be quicker.

But there wouldn't be a drag race, it would be a lap of each if they were to show who was best. And an F1 car would be outrageously quicker over a lap than a MotoGP bike due to increased corner speeds etc.

If they both got into a rally car then that would be the deciding factor. Rossi has done rallying in contemprary machinery and been successful at it. I don't think Alonso ever has.

But as I said earlier in the thread, its all speculation, it'll never happen.

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:37 - 26 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No, it wouldn't. The F1 car would beat it.

The simple facts are, an F1 car takes around 9 seconds to run the quarter mile. The new zzr 14 with a race pipe @ around 190 hp will run a quarter mile in 9.17. I doubt there would be any difference in favour of the F1 car, more likely a difference in favour of the bike.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 7 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2