Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Mp3 player without a PC?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

Paivi
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:02 - 16 Mar 2006    Post subject: Mp3 player without a PC? Reply with quote

My parents want an mp3 player but don't have a computer of any kind. Can one transfer music from CDs to an mp3 player using just a CD (or a DVD) player or do you need a PC?

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:09 - 16 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless there's some DVD or CD player with a USB port, which is unbeknownst to me, yes they will need a computer first.

Paivi
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:20 - 16 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, great, so now I have to buy them PC, too, as they live in another country. Evil or Very Mad They definitely wouldn't have a fancy CD or DVD player.

Thanks, Rookie!

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:26 - 16 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they just want a pretty standard USB plug in player which they can drag and drop files onto, you'd get away with getting them an old PC for £100 or even a laptop for £150+. Windows 98 should work on most these little USB MP3 players.

Paivi
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:48 - 16 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rookie wrote:
If they just want a pretty standard USB plug in player which they can drag and drop files onto, you'd get away with getting them an old PC for £100 or even a laptop for £150+. Windows 98 should work on most these little USB MP3 players.

How new would the PC/laptop have to be to have a USB connection?

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:06 - 16 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably 1999 onwards, at the very least. But if you hunt around eBay, it will say whether it has USB or not.

Laptops will have to be newer to have USB, though the top of the range laptops in 2000 had USB. I had a Toshiba, very good laptop which cost £1500 in 2000 but goes for around £200 these days.

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 21:07 - 16 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be able to get ones with line in plugs which means you could record from a cd player or cassette player or something. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 21:08 - 16 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rookie wrote:
Probably 1999 onwards, at the very least. But if you hunt around eBay, it will say whether it has USB or not.

Laptops will have to be newer to have USB, though the top of the range laptops in 2000 had USB. I had a Toshiba, very good laptop which cost £1500 in 2000 but goes for around £200 these days.

I would say pre 96 computers won't have it. We got our first computer in 1996 and it had 2.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:15 - 16 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would worry about Windows 95 compatibility though, if that's all 1996 computers could handle...

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 21:55 - 16 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a spare windows 98 lying around somewhere. Wink

The View Askew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:04 - 16 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use someone elses machine Wink

spitfire
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:21 - 16 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a Hifi advertised somewhere that ripped CD'S straight to MP3 to download to a player....now if only I could remember where I saw it !

Paivi
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:27 - 17 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soul_Trader wrote:

Not really an option, as my parents live in the country, and the people they know don't have PCs either. The closest PC-owning person they know is my sister and she lives about four hours' drive away. Plus, she's useless at remembering to do things. I'll just have to get them a cheap PC.

Hmm, I thought it'd be easier that that, but I suppose 'everybody' now owns a computer. Rolling Eyes

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 15:21 - 17 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were me, id borrow their cds, turn them into mp3 files on my pc and then transfer the files to the mp3 player.

however i think ipods charger gets power from the pc, so you may need to also get a charger that will plug into the wall for them

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 15:59 - 17 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silly question, but why do they want a mp3 player?

If they don't have a pc of any sort where do they intend on getting the mp3's to play on this mp3 player?

Or are they just after something like an Ipod?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 16:06 - 17 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I don't think USB was support until Windows 98 SE came out (rather than normal Windows 98), which suggests it was later than 1998 that it became common. However an old cheap PC should be capable of running 98 SE quite easily if they are not doing anything flash with it.

As to needing a USB port you can easily buy a PCMCIA USB card (ie, card that you plug into a laptop PC to give you some USB ports). I know we have used one of these with our old Pentium 133 laptop.

All the best

Keith

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 19:30 - 17 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

once the files are transferred onto an mp3 player, you dont really need a pc so it seems a bit of a waste to buy a pc just to do that

they would probably struggle doing the transfer process anyway so easier to do it for them

The View Askew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:51 - 18 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paivi wrote:
Soul_Trader wrote:

Not really an option, as my parents live in the country, and the people they know don't have PCs either. The closest PC-owning person they know is my sister and she lives about four hours' drive away. Plus, she's useless at remembering to do things. I'll just have to get them a cheap PC.

Hmm, I thought it'd be easier that that, but I suppose 'everybody' now owns a computer. Rolling Eyes

Well, use what you are accessing the forum on Wink

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 15:10 - 18 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds to me like a typical case of "must have that, it's cool", when they have no practical use for it.

I agree with Colin, if they have no computer they'd probably struggle to transfer files across.

Sounds like they'd be better off with a cassette tape walkman.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 16:31 - 18 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont think there is anything wrong with them having an mp3 player

my ex girlfriend had an ipod but no pc. she used itunes on my pc while she was with me, and before she left, i transferred all her cds to mp3 and then she loaded them onto her ipod. she had quite a bit of good stuff so that wasnt just me being nice

she still uses her ipod but has to charge it at work on the pc's usb as she doesnt have a charger you can plug into the wall. she doesnt need to get a pc.

a full mp3 player is less hassle than cds or tapes

paivi, when you next go home to visit, collect their cds and buy an ipod in this country fill it using your pc and then post it to them

i wdnt be surprised if a return flight wd be cheaper than a pc and if they havnt had a pc b4 expecting them to be able to transfer cds to mp3 player is a bit iffy.

Paivi
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:36 - 21 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason they want an mp3 player is that they spend four months of the year living in a caravan in Spain & Portugal (escaping the brutal Finnish winters) and they don't really have space for a CD player with loads of CDs. This trip they took only about 10 with them and got bored quickly. So, I thought I'd get them an mp3 player & speakers so they could record into this tiny device practically their entire collection to avoid boredom and running out of storage space.

Meh, I'll go home at Easter and bring their CDs with me and post the whole shebang to them when I've transferred the files. Looks like the cheapest thing to do.

Thanks for your input, guys!
HerbalDayZ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
HerbalDayZ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 38 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1