Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Garmin i3 Review (*With new mounty goodness!)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:59 - 18 Mar 2006    Post subject: Garmin i3 Review (*With new mounty goodness!) Reply with quote

https://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~noriba74/images/gpsrev/gp1.jpghttps://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~noriba74/images/gpsrev/gp2.jpg

First impressions out of the box.. this thing is tiny, to give you some idea the screen width is the same as an AA battery, theres the power supply for cigy adapters which plugs in through the usb port on the side of the unit, also points of interest can be uploaded to the unit, points of interest can also inlcude speed camera database's (more info on that later)

The included suction cup mount when used on a flat plastic surface, i'd have thought it will take allot of effort to get it off without releaseing it (even "unlocked" its firmly on and you'll need to pull the tab) still i'll be makeing some sort of catching wire just in case!

https://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~noriba74/images/gpsrev/gp3.jpg

It takes two AA batterys, as well as the 12v, so if for some reason you can't plug it in or the batterys run low you simply stick some fresh ones in and off you go.. garmin estimate the battery will run for 6hours, so chances are you'll be knackered before it will.

This particular garmin is NOT waterproof, i doubt its splashproof, so it will be liveing in the tank bag till ive made it an enclosure (more details as that happens) hopefully some company will work out something, but it will need some imagination for now (thinking maybe putting a stretched condom over it and secureing with elastic band)

https://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~noriba74/images/gpsrev/gp4.jpg

The maps come on a microSD card, as you can see its rediculously small, 256mb worth with include maps for all of meryy old england, scotrland and most of ireland (coverage isn't 100% there yet unforuneately) unlike the american version which includes a 128mb care that needs data uploading to it state to state.. this one is ready right out the box!

https://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~noriba74/images/gpsrev/gp5.jpg

The box also includes USB drivers for later uploading of points of interest (mentioned earlyer)

https://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~noriba74/images/gpsrev/gp6.jpg

Starting the unit upthe screen is clear and bright, the volume is suppriseing from the little speeker on the back, and you'll be pleased to know the language can be changed from US english to BRITISH english, so you'll loose that american accent in favour of a posh english one (theres also danish, dutch, french, norwegian and all sorts of others if you feeling linguistic Razz )

https://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~noriba74/images/gpsrev/gp12.jpghttps://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~noriba74/images/gpsrev/gp13.jpg

Navigation screen is clear, roads are orrangeish, active route is red and turns come up as white direction arrows, it zooms in automaticly as turns come up, at traffic islands you will get a "enter roundabout take the third exit" and a message just as you get to the turn.. 2D or 3D views are available, and night mode (which can be set to automaticly change)

https://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~noriba74/images/gpsrev/gp14.jpghttps://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~noriba74/images/gpsrev/gp15.jpg

The screen quality is better than in the pictures, ive decided to keep the bit of plastic on the screen to protect it till its got somewhere to live..

Theres also a list of internal points of interest, restaraunts, petrol stsations, amusement parks, lodgeings, allsorts, theres places i didn't know where there, and places i know are but are not listed.. but they will get you whatever it is your after more than well enough..

Overall, a great little unit with allot of features, allthough this is aimed at the lower end of the market its paced with usefull stuff never seen before on a sub £200 gps! crisp clear colour screen, voice, automatic rerouteing, and the best reciever ive come accross (its picking up enough satalites to navigate from indoors, ive tryed allot of different gps units and they haven't been able to pick up ANYTHING let alone enough to navigate with)

Only now got to work out waterproofing, but other than that Thumbs Up

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last night this little beastie got its first propper run, on a route i know all too well.. after seting where i was going, puting the volume to full (5) puting it in the tank bag and ziping it up i was off.. the gps aquired a lock within 60 seconds or so, not bad considering this was while i was moveing.. the voice commands i can make out at 30, anything over you can't hear them, but the optional BONG noise can be, so you know to glance down.. out of the tank bag and up close it would probably be better, but given its unrainproof nature its not something i''d risk..

Even through the tank bag its clearly visible, but not ideal.. first turning warnings are several miles before the turn, the actual turn signal could be a little late, so keeping an eye on the "turn in x.xmiles" would be adviseable..

Trying to confuse the unit by takeing the wrong turn dosn't seem to phase it, it usually recalculates in 5/10seconds, even top of the line units would stuggle to do that in many cases..

Now as far as speed camera databases.. i got my hands on a 8000+ strong "points of interest" file.. for £2, it lists GASTO, TURVELO and all the others you know and love, amazeingly the unit warns you (only if your over the limit it seems) a good way in advance of its prescence, via a series BONGs Twon brand spanking new cameras not far off from me are listed.. so i'm thinking the list is quite comprehencive..

I'm pretty damn sure most speed trap detectors are allot more than £132!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Been playing about a bit...

Got a non-invasive soloution for the sound.. works amazeingly well (up to indicated 80) lidl was selling the rider/pillion talky devices, got a pair of broken headpones, soldered on a mic (scavanged from a £1 shop pcmic, maplins do suitable mics) to one side, cut off the other... this end is taped into the hole where the ball mounting goes.. and plugs in the rider/pilion plug.. the other end is any normal headphone, i have one stuck perminently in the helmet (by the cheek pads) so plug that into the other rider/pillion plug...

plug yourself in, turn the gps right up, put the gps in your tankbag (or other waterproof arrangement, i'll post pics) and you'll be able to hear everything plenty loud!

Couple of problems.. you'll get a constant noise of the bag moveing about, can't say it bothered me as the helmet ive got is noisey anyway... batterys, you'll have to makesure you'll have spare, no idea how long they last.. and wires, gonna work something easyer to plug in/out of, you only need the one headphone wire comeing out the tank bag...

Last edited by mr.z on 01:50 - 01 Apr 2006; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

biker-dj
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:24 - 18 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a great review, thanks for taking the time to type it out. Deffo Thumbs Up karma for you Thumbs Up Laughing

nrml76
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:24 - 18 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same unit. I opened it up and replaced the speaker with a socket for ear-phones on a extension wire passed out through the speaker holes. You can download a scamera database for this unit from pocket GPS world. It used to be free, but they have now started charging. Your condom idea sounds good, but you wouldn't be able to use the cigarette lighter charger on the bike (I've hardwired mine), without taking off the condon everytime you got off the bike. I dont use mine much nowadays, as I ride in city traffic a fair bit. I dont want some scrote grabbing it off my bike while standing at traffic lights. It's really hard to look at the device in a tankbag with your helmet on on most modern bikes. The angle of vision would make it a real pain. I'm toying with the idea of removing the working bit inside the unit and putting it in an empty dashboard clock case. I'll post if I ever get around to doing it. They are great little units on the whole.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:11 - 18 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea on the extension wire, is it a pin/plug type speeker connection? might be able to make it reversable, that would be handy... i had thought of it before but dismissed it as it woudl have ment drilling holes in the plastic! Confused

Might have a good soloution to thewaterproofing though, might not be able to accomodate cables though..

The main reason i want this is for going off on rallys and for finding tricky places, haveign an audio lead would be great too though, i'm hopeing where its being mounted it will be easy enough to hear at normal driveing about town speeds, going off the motorway dont really need to hear it..

I might spend the £2 for the camera database, i'm well behaved but it will be nice to know when to look out for them..

biker-dj
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:53 - 18 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had an idea, would a waterproof light switch shell do the job (although might be a bit too small) similar to the ones they sell for garden/outside light switches. Question

BlackSheep
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:46 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good for the money ! , can you enter a postcode and it will guide you to the door?
i'm just wondering if it would be any use for multidrop deliveries .

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:02 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackSheep wrote:
Looks good for the money ! , can you enter a postcode and it will guide you to the door?

Yep, goes door to door with a postcode, got to enter it exactly with spaces mind.. shame they haven't released a bike version for slightly more i'm sure its doable (could undercut the tomtom rider by a good £200 with ease)

nrml76
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:10 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr.z wrote:
Good idea on the extension wire, is it a pin/plug type speeker connection?

It is soldered, but it can easily be removed and resoldered back, without any evidence of tampering Wink .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:58 - 23 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone interested been through MK1 and MK2 brackets for it, on MK3 now, stainless steel quick release riveted box!

Pics when its finised Wink

js
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 09:37 - 24 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great reveiw I am going to get one I came across this mount have a look.

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bike-mounts-for-Garmin-Streetpilot-and-Navman_W0QQitemZ5880906299QQcategoryZ4668QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

kawashima
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:19 - 25 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very informative post!
Some use ziplock bags for waterproof.
https://www.ziploc.com/

Biker101
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 09:19 - 25 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mother is thinking about buying satnav but wants an option to avoid motorways, AFAIK only the tomtom does this but does this one also have the function?

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:16 - 25 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, its the "avoid highways" option, allthough it will only avoid them if if wont take you miles and miles out of the way, so in some instances it will do its damndest to get you back to a major road/motorway, but then i suspect so will the tom tom..

like mentioned there a 30day moneyback halfords do, so worth a try!
EDIT: They dont as sparks says.. but you can allways take it back and tell them it keeps turning itself off randomly after so many minutes.. staples do a 14day moneyback though Thumbs Up

Last edited by mr.z on 15:09 - 31 Mar 2006; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Biker101
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:46 - 25 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, i will tell her, she really wants one but is put off by tomtoms high prices, she was looking at an acer for £200 about a year ago but didnt have the feature so she will probably get this if it is only £130.

code guru
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:42 - 29 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

soz for being a noob but is it 100% water proof? coz i got a mio map 268 and i have 2 keep it in my fake tank (dna 125) or in my jacket pocket but i also like 2 look at the screen, the only water proof one i know off is the tom tom rider but thats like £700 Shocked i just need a cheap water proof one that also has a headphone jack so i can use head phones.
thanks

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:25 - 30 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

code guru wrote:
soz for being a noob but is it 100% water proof? coz i got a mio map 268 and i have 2 keep it in my fake tank (dna 125) or in my jacket pocket but i also like 2 look at the screen,...

Its the major doanside, its not even nearly remotely water proof in any way, and there no audio jack.. for how much cheaper it is than the tom tom i'm makeing it workable by makeing it a watertight box and a way of sending sound to my earpiece.. not ideal but for how much cheaper it is i can live with it..

Will post findings on the "mounting kit" when its finished Wink

planet rider
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:13 - 30 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got one of these on my i3 on my bike very handy i brought the the braket from ebay bargain for 20quid:

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bike-mounts-for-Garmin-Streetpilot-and-Navman_W0QQitemZ5880906299QQcategoryZ4668QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

the i3 does the job although not water proof a freezerbag over the top works for me..

iam thinking about doing this to mine:

https://www.webbikeworld.com/garmin-gps/garmin-i3/

for the price it cost me i cant fault it apart from not being waterproof but it was designed for cars so never mind

daz

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 17:23 - 30 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of getting a Road Angel because I don't want to get caught for speeding again if I can help it!! But Mr Z pointed me here and it looks like this is a better option, as it's a GPS unit mainly but can load all the speed camera locations on it!! sounds ideal to me. Done loads of reading up on it on the web and for the money this costs I don't think it's possible to get anything better... the size is a big plus point, it looks tiny so will go on the bike too without any hassle.. compared to other ones are some what bigger... the non-waterproofness is a bit of a downside but it can be overcome...

I should have mine in an hour or so so might post some more pics up/details etc.

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 18:57 - 30 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right well i just bought myself one of these i3's.. can't really afford it but it's better than getting done for speeding again Embarassed

First impressions are good, tiny little device, clear crisp screen with good colour contrast.. the wheel and only 2 buttons idea concerned me a bit.. but it's actually suprisingly EASY to use, set up, input data... very easy to be honest.

It's got a "go home" function which I thought was quite nifty, which means you can save in your home address and with 2 clicks your GPS is set to take you home..

I'll update my review later... as I've not used it on the road yet, just about to set up and install the speed camera database.

BY THE WAY

Halfords do NOT offer a 30 day money back guarantee! All GPS products are excluded from it unless the item is faulty.

EDIT

First drive with it..

Seemed to take ages to pick up the sattelites, I'd already gotten half way to where I'd set it to take me by time it locked on.. but when it did, it was clear easy to follow directions... the speed camera locator also worked a treat and told me with good warning that a camera was coming up.. and it kept beeping to tell me I was speeding Cool

All in all a great little toy so far.. will test it out properly on Sunday as i got a long drive up north..

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 12:01 - 31 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackSheep wrote:

It will take multiple entries and in theory work out the shortest distance between them but I have a feeling it won't be able to handle more than a few entries. I'm playing with mine to see what it can do as I have the offer of a 60+ multi every saturday morning.

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:15 - 31 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will take the destination and 1 via point.. (the £40 more navman i tryed didn't let you have even that Rolling Eyes )
I think the quest (?) will take as many waypoints as you want and navigate arround them with option to "optimise" (not 100% on this though, other more basic garmins do afaik)
Dunno if thats helpfull..

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:21 - 31 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds smart as hell for the price...

Need to invest in one!

Are they rechargable batteries or do you supply your own?

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:52 - 31 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Runs off AA batterys you can buy anywhere, tbh thats better for me, if it runs out you just reach in your pocket and swap them over, with a fixed battery your commited to running it off the bike/car supply..

You can use recharegeables (NiMH are the best bet) or off the included 12v ciggy plug, but it wont charge them Razz (going to be running mine off the parking lamp wire)

offtopic ish, anyone know where to get battery chargers for 1.5 AAA/AA and square batterys to run off a 12v ciggy plug?

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 15:57 - 31 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:
This sounds smart as hell for the price...

Need to invest in one!

Are they rechargable batteries or do you supply your own?

As Mr.Z said.. two AA batteries... the unit should last approx. 6 hours... so if you got a long journey don't forget spare batteries if required Wink

Or power it off a ciggy lighter either wired to your bike or in your car.... im testing mine big style on sunday... just going to put the post code in a drive.. portsmouth to coventry, no idea where im going.. hope it works Laughing

been testing it a bit today and the speed camera alert program seems to work nicely so far!

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 22:22 - 31 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think halfords have got the Garmin Quest on special offer atm, £150 with a larger screen and it's designed for outdoors use, ie. waterproof. Couldn't see it on the site but apparently been advertised in the media.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 29 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2