Help - Moving to London

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

IronMaiden
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:33 - 27 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your advice everyone! Razz

Yikes! Shocked ..... I find trying to understand the typing on BCF hard enough, never mind the accents !!

I absolutely LOVE a Scottish accent. It sounds so cool ! Cool

Overheard this guy on the tube once, don't know what accent this is ! His friend was shouting at him so he said " Wot you screaming at me for M8? You fink I got cloff eears or sumfink? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

nrml76
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:54 - 27 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some villages and small towns in Essex are quite nice. They are about a 1 hour commute to central london, and most have a good train service. I lived in Witham several years back. Nice quiet place, if you like that sort of lifestyle. I can think of half a dozen similar towns in the same area. Rent is a lot cheaper than in central london, and there are much nicer roads to ride on. Eastham, Ilford, Barking and Plaistow are absolute S*it holes. I dont mind the ethnicity of my neighbours, as long as they are nice or mind their own business, neither of which can be said about most people in these parts of London.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 20:58 - 27 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMaiden wrote:
TOverheard this guy on the tube once, don't know what accent this is ! His friend was shouting at him so he said " Wot you screaming at me for M8? You fink I got cloff eears or sumfink? Laughing

Sounds like a typical Londoner Laughing

Should move to Guildford - 30 mins to London (work), 20 mins from Box Hill and 45 mins from Brighton (rideouts). And you can join the SE clique Wink

Major_Grooves
The Doctor

PostPosted: 21:14 - 27 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMaiden wrote:

I absolutely LOVE a Scottish accent. It sounds so cool ! Cool

Yes and I absoultely LOVED having a Scottish accent in London. I think my accent got stronger! Wink

Just as a guide - I had a very nice flat in a boring area of Wembley which was a 2 bed for £1600pcm and then my girlfriend and I had a rubbish-ish studio flat for £650pcm in North Finchley.

I would recommend Finchley to live in. There are some nice properties, the areas are okay and it's not too far out of Central London.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

queen of string
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 27 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

what you doing with your business iron maiden? you were doing tshirts and stuff werent you?

IronMaiden
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:43 - 28 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My husband is doing interviews by phone with all the top managers in Canary Wharf today. The first one went very well, I am keeping fingers crossed that he will be getting the job! They seem keen to hire him but first they need to go thru all the normal channels before they give him the offer in writing. You know how it goes in the corporate world Razz Could take a couple of weeks!

If all goes well....I will have to sell my printing business (sigh) , beautiful home (bigger sigh) , my bike, (biggest sigh ! ) 3 cars etc.

The printing equipment is way too heavy to bring over, it would cost me a small fortune! I would look for a job when we get to London. I have qualifications in Marketing management and also Graphic design, Fine art etc.

My daughter just started studying Cosmotology this year, she has done 3 months at an Academy so far. She would need to probably start over again in London but she doesn't really mind that. We have been told that there are lots of places where she could get work as a hair stylist and earn while she does her apprenticeship.

It is going to be chaotic for sure ! It will be so hard to decide what to bring and what not to bring over! I have so much stuff to sell ! Shocked

I am trying not to get ahead of myself before we are 100% sure he has the job, but we also need to be prepared because it is looking quite positive. If it does happen, it will happen very quickly as they need him to start a.s.a.p. That's why I thought I would ask the BCF members for some advice so long. Razz

DAF
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:24 - 28 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellkat mentioned the Epping area in an earlier post and I'll second that. I'm in Loughton myself which is in Essex but still inside the M25. Transport links are great with the M25 and M11 nearby and there's also a link straight into town on the Underground (Central line). It's a happy medium for me; easy to get into town but not too far out in the sticks.

I lived in North London (around Finchley) for many years but couldn't afford to trade up there because of the ridiculous increase in property prices so I moved out here 4 years ago. I missed Finchley at first but whenever I go back now it's always nice to leave again; like any part of London the traffic is bad and the people, in my view, seem to be more self centred generally. Neighbours talk to each other around here!

Epping Forest is right on my doorstep which is great for walks and mountain biking. There's also a large gathering of bikes nearby (High Beach) every sunday.

On a good day it only takes me 20 minutes to ride home from work at Canary Wharf.

Take your time to look around; that's my advice. You can't really compare or take a proper view on places until you've arrived and have a true feel for areas and how they stand up to what you're looking for.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 48 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2