Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

A very odd request

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

ali-b
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:41 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: A very odd request Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm trying to get information on accurate drawings/diagrams for where tube lines run underneath Soho, London (Oxford St, Regent St etc)

I found plans and drawings that aren't accurate, and plans from 1937 that show what we want, but its hand drawn and somewhat warped.

Any suggestions of where to look next would be great, any technical scale drawings greatly appreciated.

To give you some idea of why I need this, I work in a recording studio on Gt Marlborough St and London council is trying to build a station right underneath us. There are loads of studios in Soho that will be affected by this (vibrations aren't ideal in a studio) and we want to see where the existing lines are as well as the overlays for the newly proposed lines (we have this diagram already).

Thanks in advance

A.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 12:43 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you a suicide bomber?

RobB
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:48 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The places you'd expect (and may have tried already). London Transport, TFL, London Mayor's office, local council (planning permission requests).

Would expect all of them to ask what Shaun asked, if not so directly.

ali-b
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:52 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I'm not a suicide bomber...but I understand where you're coming from in asking, its not something thats easy to get hold of for a reason.

As you can probably tell, I'm getting a little desperate for information though. There is a meeting at the houses of parliament on thursday that all the affected (and potentially affected) studios are attending and this information will prove useful.

A.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ali-b
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:56 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried TfL, council, mayors office and all point blank don't give that stuff out (for exactly that kind of reason).

I'm pretty sure this info was public domain once, so public records must still exist somewhere in some form (even if it is nearly impossible to find)

The Open Guide for London has loads of links to 'geographically accurate' underground maps, but they're not if you walk them.

Cheers,

A.

WR450_geezer
Nobody likes me

PostPosted: 13:02 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do Libraries not have them?

WR

RobB
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:00 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've tried TfL, council, mayors office and all point blank don't give that stuff out (for exactly that kind of reason).

Seems fair. Would also have thought that if you're trying to object to planning permission, that they'd have to publish what they were going to do. This obviously conflicts with their security standards. Tough one.

As for public records, the only format I think you'll find them in is in written documents (not online). The British Library might be able to help, but again I'd expect them to be as reluctant to give out any info as any of the other places you've tried. My guess would also be that most of it would be very dated. You might be able to get initial plans, but not all the current changes.

Maybe you'll have to wait until Thursday, and they'll give you all the information then. More likely, they'll give you no information, but tell you that it won't affect you. Honest. Trust us, we're politicians.

Final suggestion, try finding a tube driver as he's knocking off, and buy him a pint or two.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 14:12 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Sounds like they are using terrorism as an excuse to do nothing (and after all, TfL are the ones who want to build the station, so they hardly want to help people object to it).

Any chance you could get a signal from a GPS unit in the underground? If so use it down there, get the log file and plot it on a map.

All the best

Keith

syl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:15 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Any chance you could get a signal from a GPS unit in the underground?

Not a chance. You're pretty much shafted in most buildings, never mid 50+ feet down.

syl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:28 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Re: A very odd request Reply with quote

ali-b wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to get information on accurate drawings/diagrams for where tube lines run underneath Soho, London (Oxford St, Regent St etc)

I found plans and drawings that aren't accurate, and plans from 1937 that show what we want, but its hand drawn and somewhat warped.

Any suggestions of where to look next would be great, any technical scale drawings greatly appreciated.

As you say you're not a terrorist, I think;

https://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/research/library.shtml

and

https://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/foi/archives.shtml

would be a good place to start.

Or go into a big bookstore and have a look through what they've got on the shelf. Someone will have done the research already and published it.

headlamp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:12 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is THIS is what you are looking for?

ali-b
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:10 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Firstly, thank you for all your posts.

I've tried a GPS device that seems to work quite well indoors to no avail (I didn't really think it'd work underground, but I had one so I tried anyway Smile)

I've looked at the Simon Clarke maps before, unfortunately they're not accurate (specific example would be the Bakerloo line between Oxford Circus and Picadilly Circus, there is a 'dink' in the track that the map does not show).

The library ideas are great, I didn't even think of those Embarassed I went to the London Transport Museum today and ask around with no luck but thats only one place...I'll be trying again tomorrow.

It does sound like 'official' organisations are getting in the way because of more than just terror threats.

Cheers all,

A.

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 23:09 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

They ARE using it as an excuse to stop you from delaying them.

Take them to court and get them to release the information under the Freedom of Information act (or whatever it is called). Cause a fuss at least because theyre greedy, scumbag's who deserve nothing more than to live in a gutter.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 02:12 - 21 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think original accurate plans will exist as such as no planning permission is required for building underground and the tunnels were dug by hand.

Try contacting your utility companys especially water as sewers in particular are affected by tube lines.

Danny
Ask Me About Stoppie School

PostPosted: 14:57 - 21 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried contacting the Public Records Office?

They are generally quite helpful.

ali-b
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:14 - 21 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Well....it seems that a few other companies are having this issue and have actually gone to court over it...the plans must exist, just nowhere any member of the public can get to...

Cheers,

A.

biggerjohn
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:48 - 22 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please let us know how you get on as this sound quite interesting.

Another angle you could try is talking to the papers like the metro about your problem if they publish it maybe some one reading it will be able to help.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 20:20 - 22 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i were you Id start looking for another job as your recording studio wont succeed in stopping an underground route going underneath it.

The sooner you get another job the better as if there are a few studios affected, a few people will be having the same idea.

Paivi
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:46 - 22 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Hywel Williams, as he knows a thing or two about the tube.

https://underground-history.co.uk/front.php (go to 'Contact me' at the bottom).

ZRX61
Victor Meldrew

PostPosted: 16:39 - 23 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Any chance you could get a signal from a GPS unit in the underground?

Only if the satellites are orbiting the Circle Line....

Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 18:21 - 23 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats wrong with headlamps post? isn't that what you want?

FreshAL
Sir Crashalot

PostPosted: 18:57 - 23 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

8316 wrote:
whats wrong with headlamps post? isn't that what you want?

ali-b wrote:

I've looked at the Simon Clarke maps before, unfortunately they're not accurate (specific example would be the Bakerloo line between Oxford Circus and Picadilly Circus, there is a 'dink' in the track that the map does not show).

Thumbs Up

ali-b
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:51 - 24 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

COLINWALL wrote:
If i were you Id start looking for another job as your recording studio wont succeed in stopping an underground route going underneath it.

The sooner you get another job the better as if there are a few studios affected, a few people will be having the same idea.

I just do the IT around here (and apparently land searches and underground architecture) so while I would be looking for another job, I wouldn't be in as bad shape as some of the other more specialized studio workers would be Sad kinda sucks that a few hundred people (probably a couple of thousand with knock on effect) might be out of work because of this.

I'm hoping to get an update today, so I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,

A.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 64 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1