Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Need advice of a vet or farmer

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

gsxrboy
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:47 - 26 Mar 2006    Post subject: Need advice of a vet or farmer Reply with quote

Dear auntie BCF, I have been given 2 lambs that are about 12 months old, I now realise the reason I was given them is because they have arthritis.
Is there any treatment for this or do they need the lead injection?

Cheers

swampy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:09 - 26 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try PM'ing Stinkwheel, he's a vet that works with big animals...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:26 - 26 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends how bad it is and how long they've had it. It is usually a septic arthritis (bacterial infection of the joint) caused by either a bug called erysipalis or a secondary invader called A. Pyogenes.

These are sensative to anbtibiotics BUT antibiotics don't penetrate into joints very well and if it is a long-standing infectionj, the joint can have been totally destroyed by the infection.

So, if you were going to try anything, a long (5-7 days) course of antibiotics would be best (preferrably including a penecillin if it is erysipalis). I sometimes use a drug called Nuflor, which is very effective but isn't licenced for sheep, it would be up to the individual vet as to if they are happy to dispense this for sheep. Trouble then is, the meat withold period for these drugs is going to be around 60 days which would seriously delay them going for slaughter.

EDIT: All comes down to how much they are worth to you. For commercial sheep, I would probably try a few days on antibiotics and see how they are doing. If the response is good, continue. If it is poor....

gsxrboy
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:17 - 26 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, very helpfull.

They have had this from birth so infected for 12 months, they have trouble standing for any period of time. Do theses sound treatable?
Can I administer the drug myself or is it a vet only job?
The sheepies are just company for the horses and wont be entering the food chain, well unless in the sumer my BBQ is running a bit low Very Happy
Thanks

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:19 - 26 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.abitofhome.ca/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/20312-04.jpg

gsxrboy
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:28 - 26 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

flip wrote:
https://www.abitofhome.ca/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/20312-04.jpg

I'm hoping it does'nt come to that but yeah thats my next question, are they OK to eat or are they dog food........

msgander
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:33 - 27 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey stinkwheel can sheep have cider vinegar like horses can for arthritis or does it do terrible things to their gut?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:06 - 27 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different arthritis, in sheep it is usually infectious rather than due to wear and tear on the joints.

Most vets will dispense you some antibiotics for that sort of thing although they may want to see the animal. Most are happy to do this in the back of a trailer if you take them down to the surgery.

The antibiotics would be in injectable form so you would have to be happy to do this.

If they are going to be pets, it would probably be worth a try but if it has been going on for 12 months, chances are their joints are screwed. To give you an idea, the most expensive antibiotic we sell for sheep (based on say a 50kg hog) comes in at around £2 per dose (including VAT).

Simple
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:31 - 29 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they male or female?

I could provide them with a home.. possibly unless you are miles away.

we already have about 300 sheepies 2 more won't be too hard to cope with
currently got about 6 kade lambs on the go.. all good fun

gsxrboy
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:11 - 29 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had the vet out today, not good news, they had been left for to long and needed to be set free. On one hand they got an extra week than the rest of the flock and on the other hand they suffered for a week due to our ignorance, we were passed the buck and had no idea what the buck was... bloody annoying but whats done is done.
Simple, I live very close, do you have a couple of oldies that would be company for our horses and need re-homing?

Simple
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:23 - 29 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsxrboy wrote:
We had the vet out today, not good news, they had been left for to long and needed to be set free. On one hand they got an extra week than the rest of the flock and on the other hand they suffered for a week due to our ignorance, we were passed the buck and had no idea what the buck was... bloody annoying but whats done is done.
Simple, I live very close, do you have a couple of oldies that would be company for our horses and need re-homing?

when they get too old they are sold to kebab house owners...
Sheep that leave our farm are going to be burnt, or for the food chain

horses tend to kick the crap out of sheep.... or atleast ours did. Frankie picked on sheep up and threw it across a field Shocked ...
sheep was fine..

Unless you want to buy a few off us and 'save' them from the chop
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 65 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1