Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Toyota Yaris CD Player

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:52 - 28 Mar 2006    Post subject: Toyota Yaris CD Player Reply with quote

Bear in mind I know jack shit about cars..

Girlf has just got an '02 Yaris 1.0 GS, has a slot open for what looks like a CDPlayer (Yeah ok... Lol..)

Just wondering what a decentish unit to put in there would be? Are they universal?

She wants a CD Player.

Cheers,

T

lozzypop1
Certified MILF!

PostPosted: 12:21 - 28 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might have a fairly good stereo that might fit... it's currently in a Toyota Carina E so chances are it might fit... Will find out for you as my next door neighbour (not the grumpy old fart) has a Yaris

This stereo has loads of speakers etc, will post again with full spec!
(only thing is there may not be any boot space after all the bits n bobs have gone in)
xXx Loz xXx Wink

Phil_G
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:23 - 28 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I remember, its not quite as easy as it could be to change the stereo in a Yaris. The stereo (as best I know) is in two halves with the cassette body right the way down by the shifter and the dispplay built into the MFD up towards the top of the dash.

I was involved in sourcing the parts for this a while back, and I think it ran thus:

1)you will need a blank frame from toyota for the bottom half of the dashboard where the cassette (I presume) is.

2) Then you need to get a Harness adaptor for the cars wiring (unless you want to cut and shut it which I DONT advise)

3)Also a blanking pocket for a late model Rav4 (i think again!)

1) from toyota and points 2 & 3 can be sourced from anywhere stocking autoleads

Once you got all that it should slot together quite nicely!

As for a "good stereo", I like Alpine for solid sound quality and reliability. JVC tended to develop faults and start skipping and Sony, well, they just have lots of flashy bits and lesser SQ

hope that helps

Phil

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 13:45 - 28 Mar 2006    Post subject: Re: Toyota Yaris CD Player Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:
'02 Yaris 1.0 GS

I feel sorry for her. My sister got a 1.1 206 and its dog slow. i can't even describe it. Makes me want to cry how shit it is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:57 - 28 Mar 2006    Post subject: Re: Toyota Yaris CD Player Reply with quote

markcatate wrote:
Toby R wrote:
'02 Yaris 1.0 GS

I feel sorry for her. My sister got a 1.1 206 and its dog slow. i can't even describe it. Makes me want to cry how shit it is.

Rolling Eyes You don't buy a Yaris to go ultra-fast, you knob.

Toby as Phil said, I think you might have some proper trouble getting one that fits in there. I remember the display goes up much higher than the unit itself; and if you want one actually 'in' the dash, you can't just buy a normal car CD player, because it doesn't have that sort of slot, or probably connectors.

Your best bet is eBay I reckon. But I think anything you're going to find isn't going to provide mega-good sound. To get that you'd have to replace the speakers and carve a hole in the dashboard.

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Toyota-Yaris-CD-Player-Radio_W0QQitemZ9702386742QQcategoryZ3293QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Don't know if that's the right model, but as you can see, they are disgustingly expensive. Shocked

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:00 - 28 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck...

Well there's a cassette player... And below that, about 50cm from the floor/gear lever there is a letterbox shaped hole that I would've thought would be for a head unit :S

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:07 - 28 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, as far as I can see that is the 'trinket hole'. What a bloody waste of space! The thing is, without getting the right one and putting it in the right place, things will get very complicated. Chances are it will require new wiring to power it, and probably rewiring the speakers.

The Yaris is not the choice of Chavs; now we see why!

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:10 - 28 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rookie wrote:
No, as far as I can see that is the 'trinket hole'. What a bloody waste of space! The thing is, without getting the right one and putting it in the right place, things will get very complicated. Chances are it will require new wiring to power it, and probably rewiring the speakers.

Bugger,

Fooking nice car though Very Happy Dead comfy.

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:17 - 28 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I learnt in one, they're so much fun to drive too. Screw all this '0-60 in 7 seconds' crap, that thing is absolutely perfect for blitzing round a town. My car is a 1.2, and the Yaris feels much faster acceleration-wise.

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:20 - 28 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rookie wrote:
Yeah I learnt in one, they're so much fun to drive too. Screw all this '0-60 in 7 seconds' crap, that thing is absolutely perfect for blitzing round a town. My car is a 1.2, and the Yaris feels much faster acceleration-wise.

Yeah it's quite pokey for a 1.0.

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 14:44 - 28 Mar 2006    Post subject: Re: Toyota Yaris CD Player Reply with quote

Rookie wrote:
Rolling Eyes You don't buy a Yaris to go ultra-fast, you knob.

Rolling Eyes

Really.

My sisters car you have to rag the fuck off to move, same as my friends 1.2 corsa. I would like to be able to change into second before the redline.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:50 - 28 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Define 'movement'. If you want to rocket off, then yes, you're going to have to change into 2nd very quickly. But most people don't drive like this. When on my lessons I found the Yaris was fine for quick acceleration anyway, and you can get 20 miles an hour before you need to change to 2nd. And it will get to 30 before hitting the rev limiter.

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 15:36 - 28 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Movement as in be able to drive at a comfortable speed without racing the engine. Changing into second gear in her 1.1 at about 2-5/3k revs stalls the engine.

Anyway i never said i want to go uber fast and 0-60 in 7 seconds (anyway 7 is slow Razz )

1 litre cars do 0-60 in about 15 seconds, so i bet you were blitzing around like a loon. Twisted Evil

15 seconds is dog slow, i could walk to 60 quicker than that. Laughing

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 16:48 - 28 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaris isn't your bog standard 1 litre, the vvti gives it 77bhp. What bhp does your saxo put out to make it that much faster?

According to this, the 1.4 saxo has only 75bhp!

Last edited by EuropeanNC30Rider on 16:50 - 28 Mar 2006; edited 1 time in total

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:49 - 28 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

maurice wrote:
Yaris isn't your bog standard 1 litre, the vvti gives it 77bhp. What bhp does your saxo put out to make it that much faster?

Yeah it's a VVTi Engine, 16v.

Just wondering, I know the VFR VTEC is a pain in the arse to service, will this be a similar problem on the Yaris (As I belive VVTI is Toyota VTEC)

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 16:55 - 28 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard my dad complain about servicing costs, so I'd assume it isn't a problem.

With regard to that slot, it looks like it'd take a CD player/radio, but I think you have to get the official Toyota one that replaces the one already in there. Could be completely wrong here, but my Dad was looking into it a while ago.

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 17:10 - 28 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

maurice wrote:

According to this, the 1.4 saxo has only 75bhp!

According to this https://www.whatcar.co.uk/car-review-performance.aspx?RT=753&ED=48523&U=0 the 1 litre yaris is 67 bhp. Fucking impressive (suprised me)

but still 0-60 15.7

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 17:15 - 28 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmn does seem to be around 67-68. However I'm seeing wildly different 0-60 times for it all over the net. Confused

13.6 seconds....
https://www.carhound.com/review/model/Toyota/Yaris/674

14.1 seconds
https://www.motor-car-insurance-uk.co.uk/toyota.htm

The Yaris is quite a tall car for its class, good for around town but probably negatively affects it aerodynamically on the open road.

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 17:30 - 28 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also my friend had a 1ltr diesel yaris when his car was crashed into.

That was an actual joke, no turbo or anything. I think 0-60 is about 23 seconds. Laughing

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 17:33 - 28 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol that's ridiculous. Laughing

Being honest the Yaris ain't a bad car to drive, the vvti means it has quite a revvy engine. The brakes are top-notch too. The only thing I don't like is the body roll, it goes onto 3 wheels easier than you'd like.

Like you know how cars are supposed to have more grip etc on corners than bikes? Well my VFR can take corners completely composed, whereas on the same corners at the same speed the Yaris would be wallowing all over the place.

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 18:56 - 28 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me of my heap of shit except in a straight line, anything over 70 and it starts to make alot of noise, after 90 its shaking all over the place and feels quite unsafe. Confused

jonnay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:39 - 28 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 05 Corsa is only a 1.0, but it's only got 3 cylinders and is pretty good on acceleration. 12v.

Don't really understand cars to be honest though, too many wheels Confused

Phil_G
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:00 - 28 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rookie wrote:

If you can go to the song and dance of rounding the parts up it would all unscrew and then simply screw the new parts in. The in dash wiring runs to the existing cassette unit, and once you got your head around getting it out, then its going to be a straight forward rebuild and fit.

where abouts are you toby? If the car is local to me I could have a look and do a bit of digging about to see what I can come up with!

As for slow, I drive on a daily basis a 1995 106 1.5 diesel. No, the acceleration isn't rocket like, but I didn't buy it for that. 69MPG in a 3/4 ton + hatchback aint too bad at all, and neither is its 160,000 miles that its covered without a huge problem. It will keep up with 70+mph traffic, and does me just fine for what I want!

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:09 - 28 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have a look and see what I can find.. Don't even know what the speakers on the Yaris are like to be honest.

EDIT: The car's in Warrington

Phil_G
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:17 - 28 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:
I'll have a look and see what I can find.. Don't even know what the speakers on the Yaris are like to be honest.

EDIT: The car's in Warrington

hmm.. bout an hour from me in Sunny(apparently) north wales.

I will have an ask about too mate, and try and get you a definate parts list together and some instruction too.

Phil
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 35 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2