Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Accused of cheating at Uni

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 23:15 - 30 Mar 2006    Post subject: Accused of cheating at Uni Reply with quote

Righty ho!

Here's the story. Not sure if people are aware, but at the moment a lot of University lecturers are still on strike, they are giving lectures, but refusing to mark tests or set exams.

I had a test in my personal tutorial last week. Basically this involves about three of you sitting there, doing a test, with your personal tutor supervising.

Because of the strike, my personal tutor said that he did not want to be involved in the test and he simply left the room, left us with the answers and the grid to mark our answers on. The three of us sat there bemused by the fact that he had just walked out. We took the oppurtunity to try the questions, working towards the answers on the answer grid, eventually writing in the correct answers, as you would, if you were working towards the correct answer. (note that this was a multiple choice, mathematical test, so it was possible to work towards a number as a solution)

I got an email this morning from the director of studies saying that he wants to see us about cheating. Basically I think he thinks that what we did is classed as cheating. We didn't simply write the correct answers in and leave, and even if we had, that makes no difference, surely the test is void if everyone else has to do it in exam conditions but our tutor just walks out and leave the answers.

So, what do you think?! Were we cheating, what would you say the the director of studies?

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:23 - 30 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see how it's going to be accepted as a proper test, as there was no-one in there supervising you to make sure it was done legitimately.

I think your tutor screwed you over good and proper. He left you with the test and answers, so even if you all chose not to do the test, it could be classed as cheating if you took it later on.

WR450_geezer
Nobody likes me

PostPosted: 23:25 - 30 Mar 2006    Post subject: Re: Accused of cheating at Uni Reply with quote

Yeah I know what you mean about them not marking work, its gay. I got an essay back today with full comments but no farking mark. Whats the point. Its childish, they earn 30k for 7months work.

Anyways back on topic. I wouldn't admit to anything that was perceived as cheating. I would go along with you stayed there and carried out the test as asked by your tutor. If they tell you the test is void as there wasn't a member of staff present tell them thanks for wasting your time and you'll retake the test.

I would never admit to cheating as I think it goes on your record at University level.

Let us know how it goes.

WR Thumbs Up

it really is that quick
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 00:12 - 31 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you all miraculously get 100% Very Happy or did you get some wrong.

if everyone gets full marks in any test it is going to look suspicious. statisically their should always be a spread of marks.

goto your personal tutor and ask them for help, assuming they're not the ones who set the test, could also try students union, thats what they get a years paid sabatical for, to help fellow students in trouble.

good luck

rob

i dont look like your average hortifuckingculturist
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 14:16 - 31 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

how can using the answer sheet not be classed as cheating ?

you cheated, face the consequences

i reckon you might get away with it because of the strike tho

they will give you another test and not punish u 'orrible little cheaters

if you get a 2.1 for cheating id be a bit pissed off to be honest

IronMaiden
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:30 - 31 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if you have seen him yet as this was posted yesterday but my advice would be:
Find out what the other students involved are going to say to the director of studies! Get your stories right before you are questioned no matter what you decide to tell him. All you need is for one person to let something slip out and you are all done for ! Shocked

You are not responsible for your tutor walking out, so ask him to please take that into consideration. Emphasise that you have never been accused of cheating ever and wish to retake the test. Be polite no matter what.

Good luck Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 33 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1