Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

how do you get past the no experience barrier?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:02 - 03 Apr 2006    Post subject: how do you get past the no experience barrier? Reply with quote

nowt to see here Mr. Green

Last edited by Itchy on 19:44 - 30 Sep 2007; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 21:09 - 03 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have yet to find the answer. Getting a sex change (assuming your male here) appear's to be the only answer I've seen so far.

Retro-Man
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:16 - 03 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

skills shortages??

it's the way of things I'm afraid

take the IT bubble as an example, there was a skills shortage in this field so employers were having to attract new employees by offering high salarys and accepting little experience.

word gets around that anybody can do this IT lark and get paid buckets of cash.

Loads of people start training in IT, employers have a bigger choice in whom they employ, and start offering lower salarys and demanding higher experience.

people move away from IT until there is another skills shortage and the whole cycle starts again.

The magic trick is to choose a profession which is currently at the beginning of the cycle.

Marcg868
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:07 - 03 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

So looks like its more learning then! Im 20 years old and my god i wish i was still at college, just if i was still there id be in Amsterdam pissed out me fucking face without a care in the world, whereas now i staring the reality of getting old in the face and it hurts.

Crying or Very sad

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:11 - 03 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the feeling, im just finishing my accounting & finance degree with exams coming up this may and need to get a job in an accounting firm with whom i can stay with for a minium of 3-5yrs and sponsor me to do ACCA profesional exams.

It feels like there is no hope as everyone wants experience of which i have none but if you dont employ me how am i going to get it.

Well despite that two of my mates who have no experience have just got jobs with different companies who will pay for them to do ACCA and are on £15,000p.a. and the other is on £20,000

So i guess there is still hope for us.

TOM M
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:34 - 03 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is something i will probably have to face when i finish uni in another 2 odd years.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 23:50 - 03 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

a lot of people get jobs or work placements through contacts
if you dont have those, you have to try to make them

if I knew how its done, I wdnt be applying for call centre jobs when ive got a degree in mechanical engineering

i have thought about doing what recruitment agencies do which is ring every company they can find and see if any of the companies are looking for work.

should do it really but im not very optimistic about success, so I'll stick to applying for shitty jobs that i have to pretent that i really really want

RickHolt
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 00:28 - 04 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just got a job, starting at 13k. Will be on 15k later this year. The jobs are out there, you just need to look. Don't waste time complaining and writing about it, just get out and look. Think of something you might want to do as a job and try googling it.

Can't really give much advice, it's not that complicated, you just need to put in the effort until you get a result.

Rick.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:31 - 04 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh I know although I like to think of myself as a optimistic person being knocked back time and time again for months and having to do a crap job can somewhat dent ones confidence in oneself.

then again its 1134PM not much hunting to be done now

Zimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:32 - 04 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You start lower down the ladder, that's how.
If you're expecting to land that job that requires 3 - 4 year's experience, and you haven't got the experience, then perhaps you're aiming at too high a level as a start point? Start at the bottom, even if it means getting the job that doesn't require your qualifications, and get the experience under your belt. Then get the job you want.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:36 - 04 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting way low at the bottom is a great idea 'cept those bottom of the ladder jobs also have 2-3 year experience requirements

Marcg868
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:37 - 04 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to try and find any job really as long as its customer service orientated in the Greater Manchester Area, preferably Manchester city centre as im moving to Lower Broughton soon.
Im think RBS call centre, O2 call centre, not exacly what i want but it gives me the experience that i need.

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:27 - 04 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as accounting goes, it depends where you're looking to end up Itchy.

If you want to be working in industry then you will generally need experience at some level unless you hit lucky and get a job through contacts.

Similarly if you want to work for yourself you will need to be able to show some relevant experience when tendering for contracts because lets face it would you trust your own money to someone who might know all the theory but has never actaully done the job?

However, if you were to go into an established Accountancy Practice you will rarely need any experience at all because they train people and supply study support, the bigger the firm the more support you're likely to get. It's about the closest you can get to an apprenticeship these days!

So the usual path is to join a practice as a trainee on OK money (starting will notmally be £16-22k plus study), get a recognised qualification and some experience under your belt and then go after the bigger-paying jobs or start out on your own. Thumbs Up

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:40 - 04 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

babyyam wrote:

So the usual path is to join a practice as a trainee on OK money (starting will notmally be £16-22k plus study), get a recognised qualification and some experience under your belt and then go after the bigger-paying jobs or start out on your own. Thumbs Up

But how do you avoid the shysters who advertise accounts trainees , but then really are advertising for temps to clear out backlogs? , its happened to me twice already people advertising graduate trainee roles listing perks of study+training.

Only for me to get there (having travelled the length of the country) and it turns out to be a temp position with none of the perks advertised and pays only like.

In Cornwall I cleared out the tax return backlog which was a very very very big pile and got the push afterwards he didn't pay for my training and I ended up forking over £900 for study and exams. Which was a HUGE hit for me when the pay was only 7K.

Same thing happened in Birmingham in 2005.

Should I cold call / speculate CVs again to practices?

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:15 - 04 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you need to ask more questions at application/interview stage?

Have you tried using the recruitment services of the AAT, ACCA or CIMA? They tend to be quite helpful.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:40 - 04 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh I ask all these questions they say yes study support is included , hours are this and that , and this ISN'T a short contract , the moment I start however things change and all these promises do not materialise, shysters everywhere it seems.

hmm I'd forgotten about the ACCA/AAT jobs thing I'll have a look

actually scrub that , I've not paid my ACCA fees for a while , which were promised by the job before my previous job no fees = no access

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:06 - 04 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

carlnicholson...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:02 - 06 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I did 4 years in the RAF. Joined when I was 17 and left at 21.

I have had 8 jobs since then and have been able to walk straight in to every one of them. Even the job doing security for bands was a breeze to get. As soon as an employer sees the armed forces on a CV, more than half the battle is won.

The guy who took me on for the job I have now said that I wouldn't have got it without having the RAF behind me. I am now on £20,000 for very little work.

Personally, I believe joining the forces for even the minimum time of just a few years well set you up for life in many ways. Thats what I'ld recommend. Thumbs Up

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:41 - 06 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm thats probably why all my peers who studied with me fell so quickly into local jobs, my university buds were almost ALL ex army a couple of marines , a couple of paras and an ex RN commando (didn't check this guy so it might have been a lie) , they all fell into jobs a couple days after graduation.

While I had to scour the entire country to find a job and do all sorts of crap things in the mean time.

I'm not so sure though as min terms are 2-3 years aren't they? , and I am a weakling and generally try to avoid trouble rather than get into it ie get sent to afganistan/iraq , + piss poor eye sight physical condition and being a bit older all go against me, saying that I ALMOST joined up as a army courier my parents would not like it one bit (they'd probably say we didn't have a son to join the army , and it'd be a waste of your extremely hefty education (I went all the way and then some )) being shot at while couriering is probably still safer than London couriering.

still at least I have something to preoccupy myself , the fire did not cause too much damage and I just have to replace the tank , seat and side panels though it does still run though haha. Tell you more about it in the chatroom sometime.

BFG
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:24 - 06 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just keep applying. If you don't apply, you'll never know. Expect at best to get a 5% return on your applications. That means if you apply for 100 jobs, expect only 5 interviews with good chances.

Don't think that if you weren't selected the first time that you shouldn't apply again. Many times someone says yes to a job and then they don't turn up - so always follow up.
Have you tried auditing? Most auditing jobs require accountancy qualifications.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:34 - 11 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

bwfc4eva86 wrote:
So looks like its more learning then! Im 20 years old and my god i wish i was still at college, just if i was still there id be in Amsterdam pissed out me fucking face without a care in the world, whereas now i staring the reality of getting old in the face and it hurts.

Crying or Very sad

education isn't the answer since if nobody gives you a job in the summer holidays then you come out with a bit of paper and still no experience , god job searching is depressing

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:18 - 15 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some firms have a graduate recruitement program.

Mine is a bit odd though, they employ graduates who have about 2 years experience in the real world.

It is so hard.

When I graduated(12 years ago), I was lucky because during my course I had a 1 year placement (Sandwich course).

It was soo funny when applying for jobs, no one seemed bothered about my universitiy course and what I did, they just wanted to know what I did on my year out.

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:46 - 15 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't much good to you unfortunately, but Greg (Instigator) told me about University sponsorship programmes, where you sign on to a company to work for them during the holidays, and then have a contract to work for them for a year or 2 when you leave uni. If you're lucky, you can get paid a small amount each year just to go to uni, too. (£500, I was told as an example.)

I'm going to enquire about those the first week I get to university.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:50 - 15 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

mondeokid wrote:
Some firms have a graduate recruitement program.

Mine is a bit odd though, they employ graduates who have about 2 years experience in the real world.

with ANY experience or relevant experience? my work experience and the number of jobs I've done (multiple jobs at the same time) is as long as my leg but very little of its relevant , I got some leads anyway starting right at the bottom earning min wage to get some experience in addition to the amount I already have (7 months) , do that for 6 months to a year and do another job to suppliment my income (as per normal) and I'll be way set on my career , hopefully.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:51 - 15 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rookie wrote:
This isn't much good to you unfortunately, but Greg (Instigator) told me about University sponsorship programmes, where you sign on to a company to work for them during the holidays, and then have a contract to work for them for a year or 2 when you leave uni. If you're lucky, you can get paid a small amount each year just to go to uni, too. (£500, I was told as an example.)

I'm going to enquire about those the first week I get to university.

thats highly recommended and good luck to you to get it , too late for me though I looked all through my summer breaks and couldn't find anybody willing to take me on,
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 16 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1