Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Contact Lenses - Foaming when cleaning?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:34 - 06 Apr 2006    Post subject: Contact Lenses - Foaming when cleaning? Reply with quote

Hi,

When I clean my contact lenses for the night (Rubbing them in a saline solution) I'm careful to wash my hands before (Usually with soap or non-lanolin handwash) but I've noticed that sometimes the fluid foams up, I can only attribute this to soap residue still being on my hands when I wash them, no matter how much I rinse them this is still happening...

Are there contact lense specific soaps you can buy? Or is there another cause of the foaming?

(On a side not, I've just spent 5 minutes trying to get a lense out of my eye but I didn't realise I've taken the lenses out in the wrong order, so I've been trying to get a lense out of an eye with no lense in... Fucking sore as hell now Sad )

Darkside
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 01:44 - 06 Apr 2006    Post subject: Re: Contact Lenses - Foaming when cleaning? Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:

(On a side not, I've just spent 5 minutes trying to get a lense out of my eye but I didn't realise I've taken the lenses out in the wrong order, so I've been trying to get a lense out of an eye with no lense in... Fucking sore as hell now Sad )

Ha Ha! Tit! though i suggest you may be using the wrong type of solution. Adsa do a particular one that suits all lenses.

https://www.r1-superbike.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:51 - 06 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am using the stuff that was prescribed to me though... :/

Darkside
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 01:54 - 06 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmm.....i see. Well when i take my out i tend to just rinse my hands with water and no soap Shifty
Maybe it has something to do with the water? Are you using your bathroom tap?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:59 - 06 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkside wrote:
hmmmm.....i see. Well when i take my out i tend to just rinse my hands with water and no soap Shifty
Maybe it has something to do with the water? Are you using your bathroom tap?

Yeh its usually a bathroom one.. the cold tap...

Darkside
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 02:10 - 06 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this probably is a long shot but its worth trying, when you use the bathroom tap, always with the cold, its cistern water, thats been in the tank for ages gathering dust and goodness knows what else, perhaps this is the cause. Maybe try using the kitchen tap, or even rinse your fingers with some of the solution instead.

innominate
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:35 - 06 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just get daily disposables.

So much less hassle +less chance of frying your eyes as well.
I, as a responsible adult human being, will never concede the power to anyone to regulate my choice of what I put into my body, or where I go with my mind. From the skin inwards is my jurisdiction, is it not? I choose what may or may not cross that border. Here I am the customs agent. I am the coast-guard. I am the sole legal and spiritual government of this territory, and only the laws I choose to enact within myself are applicable.

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:38 - 06 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't change lenses for another couple of months apparently, I'm gonna go for the ones you just leave in for 30 days when I have the chance (Including sleeping in them)

craigie b
Citizen Smith

PostPosted: 12:51 - 06 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 30 day lenses are brilliant...I use them and did so even when training with the army and they worked brilliantly.

buy some cheap saline and rinse your lenses to get rid of the foam. It will just be you cleaning solution. Or buy a different brand. Just because its prescribed doesnl;t mean to say its not kack!

karen_moomin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:21 - 06 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just don't clean them.

Take them out, straight into the pot for the overnight soak. This cleans them enough.

I've not bothered with the whole rubbing and cleaning them for 3 years. Also less chance of ripping them apart the less you clean them. Thumbs Up

Suzuki
Roger

PostPosted: 13:21 - 06 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The white foam you're seeing is perfectly normal.

During normal use, protein from your eye can build up on your contact lenses. If left there through impropper cleaning, these deposits will make your contact lenses uncomfortable to wear, and can have a detrimental effect on your eye.

During cleaning, when this protein is removed from the contact lens, it can form a white translucent solution with the cleaning fluid. This is normal, and you shouldn't worry about it.

If you are worried, once you've cleaned your lenses, rinse your hands off with clean water and clean them again. The white foam should be less apparent during the second cleaning session.

Hope that helps?

Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:23 - 06 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys!

Cheers Suzuki, I thought it was soap as it differs in intensity some days.

Toby

DucatiEVO
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 13:29 - 06 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
daily disposables

Thumbs Up

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:31 - 06 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got monthly lens' from D&A, the cleaning solution foams like a bitch when they soak overnight.

I just leave them on the side of sink and no mess Thumbs Up

I think everyone has tried to remove a lens that is'nt there, the more you cant find it, the more you try and find it, the more ot hurts Rolling Eyes

I once rinsed the lens with the sodium hyroxide solution as I thought they were feeling a little dry, then placed directly back in.....my god it stung Shocked

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 15:19 - 06 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:
I've got monthly lens' from D&A, the cleaning solution foams like a bitch when they soak overnight.

Im on the same deal. Use RENU solution.

I personally just fill up the case, rinse my hands with cold water and while still wet take out contacts, blip with solution and straight in.

NEVER had a problem.

Depends how much protein your eyes secrete though.

As fran said, its too easy to rip them when fannying about rubbing them. I also used to have loads of problems from washing my hands thoroughly and dryign them, then going to do it.

Wet hands all the way.

Id imagine the foaming is just residue from you washing your hands, as i never get it.

Oh and ive done the poking my eye for 20 minutes trying to remove the contact that dropped out for some reason earlier.
Love it at a party when it drops out tho, lick both sides, spit on your finger and wedge it back in.

Ive had em for 4 years now tho.
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 15:23 - 06 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

use less soap when you wash your hands
you dont need a lot

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:37 - 06 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hands are always dry, could try wet hands to see if theres a difference Thinking

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:52 - 06 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:
Hands are always dry, could try wet hands to see if theres a difference Thinking

Theyre not suppose to come into contct with water

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 17:58 - 06 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:
Whosthedaddy wrote:

Theyre not suppose to come into contct with water

They arent meant to come into contact with towel fluff either.

Im going with the option that doesnt hurt like hell and usually end up with the contact falling back out.
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 21:49 - 06 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think towel fluff is worse than water

ok tap water isnt sterile but there wont be much of it on your wet hands

the towel isnt sterile either

you could just shake off excess water

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:03 - 06 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

COLINWALL wrote:
you could just shake off excess water

Wife always moans when I shake off the excess, keeps staining the carpet Shifty

The only problem with damp hands is that the lens always tends to stick to finger and not eye.

Been wearing contacts for 9 years now and just come to accept the cannisters having rabies

innominate
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:44 - 07 Apr 2006    Post subject: Re: Contact Lenses - Foaming when cleaning? Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:
Hi,

When I clean my contact lenses for the night ....blah, blah, blah ...Fucking sore as hell now Sad )

Might be an idea to stop volunteering for the bukkake video shoots as well... Rolling Eyes
I, as a responsible adult human being, will never concede the power to anyone to regulate my choice of what I put into my body, or where I go with my mind. From the skin inwards is my jurisdiction, is it not? I choose what may or may not cross that border. Here I am the customs agent. I am the coast-guard. I am the sole legal and spiritual government of this territory, and only the laws I choose to enact within myself are applicable.

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:05 - 07 Apr 2006    Post subject: Re: Contact Lenses - Foaming when cleaning? Reply with quote

innominate wrote:
Might be an idea to stop volunteering for the bukkake video shoots as well... Rolling Eyes

Who asked you bitch Razz

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 18:03 - 07 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised your optitian didn't tell you about the possible foaming that you get when cleaning your lenses.

As Jon said, it is just a starch build up from your eyes, some people have more than others.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Leggy_Girl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:03 - 07 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't get the the ones you can leave in for a month, see if you can get peroxide solution lenses. I use peroxide solution and you just take them out and put them in the case each night - no cleaning involved! Great for being lazy and no foaming either Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 25 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2