Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Do I teach my kid to hit back ?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Retro-Man
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:26 - 08 Apr 2006    Post subject: Do I teach my kid to hit back ? Reply with quote

Just looking for opinions.

We have always brought our son up to respect other peoples feelings, be polite and nice. which has made him very sensitive to how people treat him, he gets upset easily as he does not understand why some people are not nice, btw he is now 6.5 years old.

how ever we have a couple of slightly older 9-10 chav kids who find it entertaining to wind him up, small jibes, walking off with his toys, kicking his football away from him etc etc. all minor stuff but because he is so sensitive he gets very upset.

now contrary to my own beliefs I can't help finding myself telling my boy to toughen up a bit and rather than showing them he is upset, to answer back by telling them to sod off or even if they really push it to simply wack one of them with a big stick.

the parents of said children take the attitude that if their kids happen to be bigger then that makes them top dog, totally condoning their kids behavior.

any input gratefully received

Retro

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 17:44 - 08 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the kids are older and there are more of them, hes not really gonna be able to beat them

if the parents wont do anything, Id go to the offending kids and scare them a bit.

Or you could just make it so that your kid isnt out when they are if you dont want confrontation.

If you reckon the kids will stop if he just stands up to them a bit or just doesnt get upset, maybe it can come from him, but hes not really going to be able to fight them.

but i dont have kids, so ppl with kids are better placed to answer

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 17:49 - 08 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd say stick with the fact that it takes the bigger man to walk away

i.e. if they kick his football, tell him to get his football and go play somewhere else

nothing changes even if this shitty day and age, and smacking someone never solves anything, because they just come back and come back, and will probly just get worse

ideally he wants to not show them he is upset, because that feeds them to do it more, but shouting at them isnt the way either, i'd encourage him to ignore their behaviour best he can, and walk away

just my 2 cents, i may be wrong

i'd only smack someone if i needed to in order to make an escape route, and then it would be billy big steps out of there as fast as possible
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

Retro-Man
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:50 - 08 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty much my thinking, he would not stand a chance in a fight
its not fair on him to keep him locked in

but I do think that if he does not react as he does then they will get bored and fook off.

am so close to taking one of themm to one side and whispering in his shell like that I just might sneak in to his house while hes asleep and slit his throat.

Must remind myself they are only kids Confused

ash t
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:41 - 08 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does he play on his own?

Maybe have some of his friends over to play. Safety comes in numbers!

Dont you just hate little sh!ts!

Lone-Wolf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:55 - 08 Apr 2006    Post subject: Re: Do I teach my kid to hit back ? Reply with quote

Retro-Man wrote:

the parents of said children take the attitude that if their kids happen to be bigger then that makes them top dog, totally condoning their kids behavior.

any input gratefully received

Retro

Wotcha.

So, you being bigger than their kids, would be top dog. . . . even better if you happen to be bigger than the kid's parents.

When ever kids have given me grief, I say nothing to them but walk over and hit their parents. This has the effect of making sure the kids don't upset me any more. Simple - you make sure your children behave, or I come over and hit you again. A terrible state of affairs I know, but talking to those sort of parents just doesn't work. This works very well in pubs when you get screaming nine year olds running about. ( I'm a great believer in pubs being child free - I mean, do I go and drink beer in their playground ? )

Can't you just tell I'm in a grumpy old bastard mood today Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ash t
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:59 - 08 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You talk sense!

Retro-Man
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:05 - 08 Apr 2006    Post subject: Re: Do I teach my kid to hit back ? Reply with quote

Lone-Wolf wrote:

Can't you just tell I'm in a grumpy old bastard mood today Laughing

the irony is You make sense

ps
he does play with friends but if their not in then he will be quite content by himself, strangely it tends to be worse when he is with one or two friends Question

cqueen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:36 - 08 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont get parents involved.

What you should do is bribe a couple of even older kids with say £5 or £10 quid each, to go and tell them little shites that they aint to be messin with your boy or they'll get it.

If you tell them yourself they'll just pick on him more as revenge.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 22:11 - 08 Apr 2006    Post subject: Re: Do I teach my kid to hit back ? Reply with quote

Lone-Wolf wrote:
...I'm in a grumpy old bastard mood today Laughing

There are some who say I too have made that a lifestyle choice Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

plugger147
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:12 - 09 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you should teach him to hit back,but not in this particular situation.

If it was my little girl I'd tell her to calmly pick up her stuff and come inside when she saw them coming, explaining to her that it was a situation that was best avoided and not to be scared by it.As you say it's worse when he's not alone and also quite sensative they may be trying to make him cry in front of his friends.

If you want to stop it then try a big dobermann, 110% loyal and no sense of humour. Laughing

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:54 - 09 Apr 2006    Post subject: Re: Do I teach my kid to hit back ? Reply with quote

Retro-Man wrote:
but because he is so sensitive he gets very upset.

This is why I would suggest not to teach him to hit back. I think this would only upset him further. Let him know that you won't go nuts if he does hit them back but I wouldn't encourage it. There's nothing wrong with being sensitive IMHO. Prob means he's a good kid. (Don't forget that 6.5 is still a baby in the grand scheme of things).

I'll just pass on the advice my Dad gave me. "If they're too big to fight... Hit them with something heavy". (He of course denies ever saying this). Was never sure if he meant this or he was just trying to cheer me up at the time. (Although a bloke came to the family home when I was 18 looking for me. When he learned he came to kill me, Dad put a hammer behind the front door.) Laughing

I was a sensitive kid. Still am I guess. I don't like to walk away from a fight but at the same time I know when exactly to do just this. (IE, when I know I'm going to get f*cked up. Laughing )

One day he'll blow and I'll feel sorry for the kid he goes mental on.

Let him figure it out for himself. Make sure he knows that you are on his side whatever happens. Karma

Last edited by Flip on 01:56 - 09 Apr 2006; edited 1 time in total

senna_f4
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 01:55 - 09 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mate, you are bringing up your child the right way Thumbs Up

Don't lit those chavs ruin what you have done for 6.5 years.

The best thing, from a long term point, is to teach your child the judgement needed to live a better life. Meaning if you are outnumbered pull out Embarassed , react to the situation, avoid the chavs whenever possible, if the situation is in favour of you child, then be firm. Teach your child how to judge the situation, and behave accordingly.
Very Happy

Mary Jane
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 02:02 - 09 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your son sounds a lot like mine (same age even). He's pretty sensitive and often gets upset when other kids don't play as nicely as I raised him to.

I'd have to agree with everyone else that if it's a group of boys picking on him, he'd be better to just walk away from the situation, but you may also want to look into possibly some marital arts classes. They have them for chilcren that small, and even if he wont be able to beat the kids, it will give him some self-confidence and discipline, and possibly help him defend himself if the kids get violent.

I have plans to have my son start that in a bit, once he's proven he understands other people's personal space. (that's another issue though)

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 02:03 - 09 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get him a knife, a big one, he'll only need to use it once! Thumbs Up

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 08:13 - 09 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose telling him 'sometimes you need to assert yourself' is better.

If i could do school again id have kicked the teeth in of anyone who ever started on me from a very young age.

But at the same time, im glad ive come out of school with an education and a clean record. Thats a lot more then i can say for the elite from 'my day'.

The popular guys i used to idolise are absolutely nothing now. They aint changed, they are doign shit jobs for crap money and they shag fugly birds.

So i think its important to instill a sense of proportion. Ya know, if they are making you uncomfortable, physically, then a quick smack with a fucking chair leg is good.

School is a warzone these days, and they have to be prepared. The reason chav kids have 'the edge' in these situations is because they get turfed out to fend for themselves, and in doing so getting in rows.

Sheltering your kid will just make it harder when hes in secondary school to be someone.

Best guy i knew from school, a guy called Tim Squires. He was a quiet nerd basically, but he'd been 'let out to play' so to speak. Got on with all his work, universally lvoed by teachers etc.

One day the 'hard kid' gave him some gyp, tim just spins round, grabs him, and smashes his head on the board a few times.

No gloating
No ego
No pretense

Just defence.

Never got anymore hassle from him, ever.

See the main problem is, you dont want to be (say in 10 years time) taking your kid down for his ABH charges. but you dont want him to be introverted at school because he cant hold his head high.

Its tough mate.

Id sit him down and have a big long chat, see how he feels (i know hes young, but youd be suprised how much crap hes probably seen so far) and see if you can get him to logically think what his reactions should be to things.

(sorry for rambling, caned Neutral)
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

john2
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:22 - 09 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

as said before get some older kids, maybe a cousin or just an older kid to go and have a 'word' with the little shi*ts that are being nasty to him, that will stop them! or it could make it worse? one or the other!

Skunkcap Freddie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:50 - 09 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

show him a few moves, explain to him that if he does get into a fight standing up for himself then its ok,
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

m99dws
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:15 - 09 Apr 2006    Post subject: Re: Do I teach my kid to hit back ? Reply with quote

Lone-Wolf wrote:

When ever kids have given me grief, I say nothing to them but walk over and hit their parents. This has the effect of making sure the kids don't upset me any more. Simple - you make sure your children behave, or I come over and hit you again.

My thoughts exactly!

nrml76
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:41 - 09 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was about 7, I was bullied by an older kid at school. He would spray ink on my shirt, stick chewing gum on my hair, and try to get physical. I was very small for my age, and put up with it for months. One day on the playground, while he was trying to beat me up, something snapped within me Idea. I went straight back to the class room, removed the strap from my satchel (an old fashioned canvas strap with a metal buckle), returned to the playground and whipped the living daylights out of him Twisted Evil. He ended up with welts on his legs, thighs, back and sides and blood stains on his shirt where the buckle broke his skin. I was hauled into the headmistress office, and had a major telling off. My guardian was called in the next day, but she stood firmly on my side. I was told that if there were any more problems, I would be dismissed. No one ever messed about with me again Laughing, but on the downside, everyone feared me and avoided me Twisted Evil and I made very few friends in that school.

I'd go with what flip said.

fire
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:52 - 10 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ye id say dnt let him become one of them chavs, always out lookin for a row....but teach him to defend himself...

maybe a weekly boxing club or martial arts or sumin couldnt go wrong...that way you can bring him up to stay out of truble..but if he gets into some, he can keep his chin up in a fight, he'd probly get more respect tht way when it comes to secondary skl..

he wont become a power hungry bulley..or become a bulley victim

i always wished i didnt spend my teenage years smokin pot and was a bit stronger

either way..its true what they say..what doesnt kill you makes you stronger
Write off! Honda NSR150 RR ('01) - Sold Cagiva Mito Evolution ('00) - Sold Honda NSR125 ('01) - Current Gasgas TXT 250 ('98) - Sold Kawasaki Z750 ('10) - Write off! Yamaha FZ1 ('09) - Current Ducati Streetfighter 848 ('14)

Lost_Prophet
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:39 - 10 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would recommend a martial art, i did karate, they taught me SELF-DEFENCE, and the values of it, twas very good i did it from the age of 6-16, where i had to give up due to work and college commitments.

It taught me when to cave some ones head in or walk away. as a consequence i have very few enemies and a lot of friends.

Respect can only be earnt, but depends on what you do on whether you receive that respect

because thats ultimatly what your kid needs, im not talking big boy bad ass respect, im talking that they respect him/his stuff and is friends

he does'nt neccersarily need to fight to get this respect.

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:11 - 13 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cover your back seat & boot of your car with a plastic sheet and throw poo at the offending kids in the boot or the back seat.

Then find the nearest river of poo and throw the pricks in.

Problem solved, repeat the procedure if the parents give you lip!

Im am joking im not very serious about this one!

Last edited by woo on 15:56 - 06 Jul 2020; edited 1 time in total

craigie b
Citizen Smith

PostPosted: 17:52 - 13 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really would appreciate Siggi's views on this Thumbs Up

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:19 - 18 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used to get allsorts of hassle at school, i started martial arts (mostly out of boredom) did it for three years before they found out, they were allot more carefull arround me then i can tell ye..

It might be worth it, just be sure he dosn't try useing it till he can give em a good scare or injury Thumbs Up

Or give him a fog horn and ear defenders to use if they get too close, that'll get rid of em Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 15 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2