Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Getting Healthy

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

DukeRed
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:26 - 09 Apr 2006    Post subject: Getting Healthy Reply with quote

Does anyone know some good websites to tell me how I would go about getting healthy? Sounds odd but I mean stuff like how long I should go on the rowing machine and how many/heavy the weights should be. How often? And most of all what I should do with the weights. That sort of thing.

Had a look on google but I just seem to get American protein shakes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Leggy_Girl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:17 - 09 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the classic Men's Health magazine? Seemed to be the first thing that sprang to mind for me.

Here's the health section on their website: https://www.menshealth.com/cda/channelpage.do?site=MensHealth&channel=health

ginguar
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:45 - 09 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bbc is quite good for this sort of thing. Might be worth having a look [url]https://www.bbc.co.uk/health/
[/url]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

carlnicholson...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:45 - 09 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to improve your general health, and burn off a bit of fat, then follow these rough guides.

Make sure you do a good stretch before doing any sort of training, spend 5 minutes doing a general exercise to warm up, be it rowing, light jogging, cycling etc. Time it, and do it, it's important.

The main exercise must last at least 20 minutes for it to start having any real effect on the body, anything less, and you won't be noticing many improvements, I found about 25 - 30 minutes of rowing, or cycling to do the job. If you can do two different exercises after each other, at least three times a week, then you should start feeling and looking better inside two months so I found. Try to combine this with doing more walking, and the occassional swimming session.

With eating, the important part is variety. Don't exclude anything, but try to cut right down on saturated fats, salt and sugars. Some people try to cut right down on eating when trying to get fit, this will have an adverse effect, because you will just be knackered all the time, so eat up, and eat wisely.

Plenty of fish, occassional red meat, and if you want butter, try a high quality spread like flora, but don't be tempted by cheapo stuff, it's just full of shite. Drink plenty of fruit juces, and make a point of having fresh vegtables with every meal. Pasta and potatos will give you a good energy burst, but try to avoid frying of roasting the potatoes, boil or mash would be best.

The major point is hydration, you simply cannot drink enough water, especially after exercising. If you are de hydrated, losing weight will be harder, and you will feel shit, so eat up, drink up, and feel better.

Good luck. Wink

DAF
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:12 - 10 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a skipping rope - it's a killer after 15 minutes if you've not been used to regular exercise for a while but you soon get used to it as your fitness improves. Great for cardiovascular.

Also, the following from Suid Afrika is pretty useful;

https://www.health24.com/fitness/16.asp
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 32 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1