Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Air/fuel mixture!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Shamrock
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:34 - 02 Feb 2002    Post subject: Air/fuel mixture! Reply with quote

Can altering the air/fuel mixture increase the bikes top speed?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

DrSeuss
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:56 - 02 Feb 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes. At 7:1 fuel is most explosive. Therefore more or less and the bike won't be getting the most from each stroke either bogging down or running lean and risking seizure. Most bikes will be set up to run rich leaning the mixture should gain some power but not all that much.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 01:10 - 03 Feb 2002    Post subject: Fuel Air Mixture Reply with quote

Hi

The best mix for fuel / air is 14.7 parts air to 1 part fuel (by wieght). Running a slightly richer mixture will improve power, and a slightly leaner mixture will improve emisions.

Although you might manage to gain power by adjusting the mixture, it is probably more likely you will loose power or do engine damage, and even if you get it perfect, it wont be perfect the next day when the weather changes

All the best

Keith
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bob

PostPosted: 21:48 - 03 Feb 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do you know what my mixture is how do i get a 7/1 mixture Smile [/quote][/u][/i]
You must be logged in to rate posts

DrSeuss
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:59 - 03 Feb 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keiths probably right. To know what the fuel is doing you have to do a plug chop or get an exhaust gas analyser. If you dyno it proffessionally should cost about 70-100. Then they will bugger about with the fuelling. Personally i'm not convinced the risk is worth it but its up to you. A plug chop is to go along at full throttle then push the kill switch and pull in the clutch. Come to a halt and check what colour the plug is. Should be a niceish tan colour to dark and its rich too light and its paler.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 275 days between these two posts...

old timer

PostPosted: 15:47 - 06 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

this has got to be one of the first posts in the forum, ahh the nostalger Very Happy
You must be logged in to rate posts

Ropehead
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:53 - 06 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personaly i woldn't touch, the mixture unless you have mod'd the air box or fitted a new exhaust......

The plug should be something like this colour on the porceline part and firing end,
https://www.ngk.co.uk/tips/images/1.jpg
https://www.ngk.co.uk/tips/images/2.jpg
https://www.ngk.co.uk/tips/images/3.jpg
https://www.ngk.co.uk/tips/images/4.jpg
https://www.ngk.co.uk/tips/images/5.jpgi prefer the darker onejust 2 be on the safe side Wink

The mixture will be slightly rich just how it was when it left the factory,
this will give good all round perforamnce and INCREASED enging life.

if you want more power ist better saving up for a bigger bike, cos u only every get a relatively small increase in power for the amount of CASH u spend,

BUT it u are looking for a few more BHP for under a tenner, Removing the air box intake hose or hoses will give you a good increase all round power.
BUT you will NEED 2 re-jet the bike PROPERLY,
i think most 125 run about a 80 Main jet so you would have 2 probably Bump it up to 90/95 depends on how restrictive the airbox is,

Anyway now im just YAPPING ON

IF u dont know what your doing dont do it with out someone how does know, cos u will regret it Wink

Have a look on the net for info Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

zaknafien

PostPosted: 19:55 - 06 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Posted: 02 Feb 2002 22:34

Ropehead
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:58 - 06 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUGGER

it took me ages to get them pics Crying or Very sad

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:59 - 06 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well, its now surfaced again as a useful thread Very Happy

lmao Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 178 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1