Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New car.......maybe.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

cc123
Geez a joab?

PostPosted: 08:55 - 12 Apr 2006    Post subject: New car.......maybe. Reply with quote

Anyone got one of these? Just asking what you think about them?

Selling my car, GF is selling her Clio too and we want a nice diesel thats cheap to run but nice also. I love this shape and the moonstone silver/blue coloured ones that look like the GTi-6 model.

Thought I'd ask if anyone has one. HDi model with the 2.0l engine.

https://www.parkers.co.uk/choosing/specs/data.aspx?model_id=650&id=16882

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:57 - 12 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two!

First got a 1.9 diesel (M-reg) because like you I love the shape of them. Unfortunately it didn't have power steering and I found it a bit difficult to manouvre at slow speed Embarassed but we stuck a towbar on it and the other half now drives it. It's done over 120k miles, never misses a beat and will do at least 500 miles on a tank of juice (£40-£45). He has the back seats permanently down & basically uses it as a van, has carried all sorts around in it. It will tow our 2-bike trailer with no probs whatsoever.

In the meantime we bought another, a 1.4 petrol (T reg) which I drive. Has power steering, climate control, auto wipers, all sorts of gubbins. Once again fairly high mileage (think it was 74k when I got it last Aug, it's about 85k now) but apart from one incident when I had to get the AA out for a broken earth strap it's never given me a moments trouble.

I'm gutted to think that in a couple of years when I come to change cars again I won't be able to get another one, the 206/307 just don't compare.

Personal opinion is that it's possibly the best medium-sized car ever made. Thumbs Up

Philwild
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:11 - 12 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Fiance's sisters boyfriend has an L reg diesel one (non turbo i think) with 355,000 miles on it and its still going strong! Shocked

Watch out for dodgy electrics though and like all french cars, the build quality is not so good.

I like these cars because back in '97 I passed my test in one!

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:21 - 12 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had that particular model, but the 1st two cars I ever owned were Peugeots (some years ago) and I never had any trouble with either of them.

Had a 205 hatchback just after I passed my test Question Question teen years ago, and a 505 estate just after.

However I'd advise you to be 100% sure to get a verifiable FSH with the car, cos if it hasn't been looked after properly in my experience they can really suffer.
But you're obviously doing some research before buying, so Thumbs Up Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

cc123
Geez a joab?

PostPosted: 15:27 - 12 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
with 355,000 miles on it

Woah!! Thats some going...

Quote:
However I'd advise you to be 100% sure to get a verifiable FSH with the car

Don't buy without it! Every car I've had new and old has had a good service record with it, even my current car which is a 11 year old Civic has a FSH record.

Courageous T
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:09 - 12 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a 1.4 p reg 306 passed my test 2 1/2 months ago and never had any trouble even in the snow over winter it was fine. Only problem for me is finding the petrol money and the headlight bulb has gone. very good cars.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

cc123
Geez a joab?

PostPosted: 19:55 - 12 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking of one like this.....

Ant
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:57 - 12 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had a p reg 1.9 d turbo for about 3 1/2 years(only just sold it) and i'd buy another one, there fast (for a diesel), cheap to run and cheap on insurance!
Mine had 60ish on the clock when i brought it and 125 when i sold it (and it hadnt been serviced since 85K). The airbag light flashed lots (wireing under the front passenger seat, common problem on 3door 306's), the drivers leccy window motor packed up and the alternator broke. Not bad for a neglected car huh?

Phil_G
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:15 - 12 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

buy one!

ok, so I only got a 106 diesel but that is one 161,000 miles and out a little 1.5 litre hatch, thats not a bad tally at all. Especially considering that 80,000 of those have been done in the last 3 years and it still does over 50mpg whilst being given death on motorways and will keep on ticking and rattling for a good while yet (I hope!)

buy one! (incase you missed it the first time!)

Phil

yzf750r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:11 - 12 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had one, though not a diesel, and sparks has one! I think there good lil cars and would have another if I didn't need a larger car!

Have a look round here!

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 22:47 - 12 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

That colour is really nice. I looked at 306's as well as A3's but i wanted a 306 in black and they were difficult to find and really expensive in that colour. The A3 was way too much to insure (1.8 turbo)

One of the nicest looking hatchbacks the 306 in the right colours. Never really looks out of date. Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 21 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1