Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Im looking to do my 1st trip this summer-Anyone up 4 it?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

niff5855
Sausage Boy

PostPosted: 13:38 - 17 Apr 2006    Post subject: Im looking to do my 1st trip this summer-Anyone up 4 it? Reply with quote

Dont know where, when etc......not bothered really, am open to suggestion. But I'm definitely off for a few weeks this summer. Was thinking of going up to Scotland but after reading the forum I might get a bit more adventurous and go to Europe.

Never been on a bike trip before...in fact, never been to Europe before Embarassed

Anyway, would rather go in a group or at least with someone else, but as none of my mates are bikers I thought I'd see if theres anyone on here up for it.

Cheers !!!

By the way, I'll be going on a ZX-6.

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git

PostPosted: 15:27 - 17 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I have said in my post about France, I am considering going as part of a group - I just need to see how MrsHippy feels about it.
Having done some poking around on the web, it seems you can get a villa type thing around the Nice area that sleeps 6 for about £400 for a week at the end of September, so that would work out at about £75 per person + petrol and food Shocked. Sounds like a plan to me Thumbs Up

panrider
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:01 - 17 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

niff if ya riding a zx6 is this a touring trip or catch me if ya can holiday Laughing

niff5855
Sausage Boy

PostPosted: 16:24 - 17 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

naa I know its not the perfect touring tool but alas thats what I've got lol.

I mean I can hare-arse around the place here at home cant I.

Just looking to get away and see a bit of the world on the bike, and if there is the odd tempting, warm, twisty bit of tarmac then great, but thats not the aim. Very Happy

panrider
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:37 - 17 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

like i said in another post niff might be time to plan a trip to france .we will see if anyone is interested in small group going ?
we are going anyway Very Happy me and the other half that is Smile

niff5855
Sausage Boy

PostPosted: 16:47 - 17 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

tidy chaps, seems like there might be a bit of interest then.

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git

PostPosted: 16:51 - 17 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I've had a chat with MrsHippy and she is well up for traveling as a group Very Happy

I suppose we need to start thinking about when - I'm pretty much fully booked for time untill the end of July, so it's gonna be late Aug onwards for us, after school holidays would be best anyway I think.

panrider
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:08 - 17 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

late aug is not a bad time as most of the french will have finished there holidays .although going during there holidays is not to bad if you on a bike its b/b that can be a problem at times .

niff5855
Sausage Boy

PostPosted: 17:15 - 17 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im easy as regards timing to be honest so anytimes good for me, although the early consensus seems to be late August then !!!!!

Tidy Razz

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git

PostPosted: 17:22 - 17 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only trouble with late Aug is that villas/cottages will be more expensive as they set prices for British holidays as well - there is a drop of about 50% in price from the 1st week in Sept.

matty8887
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:24 - 17 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested in this. If i dont go to germany then i will come with you lot if oyu want. I will be on a zxr750.

Where you from?

Im from west mids but could travel if we needed to meet up before-hand Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

niff5855
Sausage Boy

PostPosted: 17:27 - 17 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magic, another kwak hehehe - it is green isnt it??? Wink

Im in South Wales mate, not sure where the others are but it doesnt really matter does it? We'd all have to make our way to the same port eh.

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git

PostPosted: 17:40 - 17 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

niff5855 wrote:
Im in South Wales mate, not sure where the others are but it doesnt really matter does it? We'd all have to make our way to the same port eh.

I'm just outside Bath, so you'd litereally be passing my place on the way down the M4 Very Happy

illusion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:42 - 17 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm definately up for touring this summer. Late Aug/early Sept would be cool but I'm pretty flexible. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread Smile Thumbs Up

panrider
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:47 - 17 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry lads mine is only a pan euro and it red Confused i did have a blackbird but her indoors likes her comfort but she says we could have another just for the fun days Thumbs Up

niff5855
Sausage Boy

PostPosted: 17:48 - 17 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking good this.

What I'll do is let people register their interest on this thread, then a bit nearer the time I'll pm everyone and firm things up a bit.

Havent a frigging clue what arrangements have be made - Ferry bookings?? Acommodation?? - But I'm sure between us we can suss it eh?

Psyco - you've been before yeh?

niff5855
Sausage Boy

PostPosted: 17:49 - 17 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
sorry lads mine is only a pan euro and it red i did have a blackbird but her indoors likes her comfort but she says we could have another just for the fun days

haha s'ok mate, probably a more sensible tool for the job.

Im predicting sore wrists/back etc... for myself. Very Happy

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git

PostPosted: 17:53 - 17 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

niff5855 wrote:
Havent a frigging clue what arrangements have be made - Ferry bookings?? Acommodation?? - But I'm sure between us we can suss it eh?

Psyco - you've been before yeh?

We need to think about accommodation sooner rather than later - if we are going to use somewhere as a base we will need to book as soon as possible or we will struggle to find somewhere.
Yes, I have been before - but I did none of the planning side, I just followed (my French is awful as well!). However I don't mind doing some of the leg work for this.
We will need to think carefully about how many we go with (too many will be a MAJOR admin exercise) and what bikes we will be using. That way we can think about a route to wherever we decide to go. As for ferries, someone posted a link to a ferry company that does channel crossings for £19 each way for bikes - any day - any time!

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git

PostPosted: 18:00 - 17 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would be the page I was thinking of for cheep ferries Very Happy

https://www.speedferries.com/

panrider
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:19 - 17 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

the idea for a base is a good point hippy .ive done this before with 4/5 of my mates(some couples) who like to just chill out for the day when they get to the base .and some like to ride every day which is fine i think .
we have used the fastcat crossing from newhaven to dieppe for years but that has stopped now Confused ill have a look at your link as my other half needs to get across fast as she hates sailing Very Happy .

matty8887
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:38 - 17 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes niff it is green, has to be if its a kwak Thumbs Up

What we need to do is either meet up before hand to meet everybody or we could just meet at dover on the day lol.

If we compile a list of who is interested at the moment then we can all look at accomadation prices/ferry prices/calculate food and petrol cost so we can get an average price per person.

Think about if it is best to stop in b+b, camp or hostels etc...

The earlier we plan things the more time we have to book and make any changes, we would also need to plan a route of whereabouts we are going, no need to follow this inch by inch but its best to do a plan of action lol.

I shall start looking at prices of things Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

panrider
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:02 - 17 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO you are not going to germany now then matty Very Happy .
im up in yorkshire .

matty8887
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:06 - 17 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, that speedferries is £19 but you are better to book early as prices may go up later in the year, there is only capacity for a max of 8 bikes per crossing so if there is more than 8 of us (probably not but you never know) then we need to organize groups per crossing.

The route is dover to boulogne and vice versa and will take 55 minutes accourding to the website.

I will take a look at accomadation and post back.

matty8887
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:08 - 17 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrider wrote:
SO you are not going to germany now then matty Very Happy .
im up in yorkshire .

Well if it does come together then i will but u shall still come if this trip goes ahead, i want to visit as many countries as i can on the bike Thumbs Up

matty8887
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:19 - 17 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the cities in france, found a few that look nice places, theres bordeaux,toulouse and a bit furthedown is marseille.

Now there is some 2/3 star hotels for 30 euros per night which isnt bad, average prices of about 40/50 euros, camp sites will be little money and the b+b's usually are cheaper than hotels.

Those are just a few places ive looked at and look good, theres alot of history and scenic routes at the places mentioned.

See what you lot can come up with Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 29 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9