Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Traffic police PI's

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

Zoffo
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:53 - 19 Apr 2006    Post subject: Traffic police PI's Reply with quote

That's Performance Indicators not Private Investigators.

Traffic cops apparently have PI's that they must meet to show they are earning their weekly pay packet. So they have targets to meet for each kind of offence.

Call me cynical but won't this lead to cops concentration more on some kinds of offence while turning a blind eye to others regardless of the severity of the offence?

I can just imagine some plod short on his biker tally for the week pulling every two wheeled vehicle he sees in the hope of nabbing an undersized number plate.

Won't it also lead to some dirty tactics e.g. goading people into breaking speed limits in unmarked cars/bikes to meet the targets?

The whole concept of police PI's is just wrong. Some feckin management consultant probably convinced the top plod it was a good idea.

If they are so keen on modern manufacturing management practices then here's one....Demarcation. Because in today's "modern force" a traffic cop can't be told to go hunting thieves and murderers. That's a different department.

If the police want to modernise their organisation then they should be doing what we have to do at work. Everyone it trained to do all jobs to give better flexibility and concentrate efforts where they are needed.

So when PC plod finds that the roads are actually a bit quiet he can go looking for rapists instead of tailgating some biker with his headlights on full beam just waiting for him to try and out run him.

Last edited by Zoffo on 23:05 - 19 Apr 2006; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 12:20 - 19 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Think it depends on what the targets chosen are.

Let say it is a system based on points, with 100 needed in a month. Make catching a murdurer worth 10 points and catching someone doing 105mph on the motorway worth 100 points and the whole scheme is useless.

Come up with a sensible level and it might be useful.

All the best

Keith

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:47 - 19 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

there was a joke about this in TWO last year , didn't think it'd become reality.

but they police are people and human nature usually means they got for easy targets rather than the more difficult to catch type.

To catch a speeding motorist is easy , just sit in a police car behind a bush on a long straight.

To catch other types is more difficult ,

the same is mirrored in litter wardens (which have to be accompanied by police which is such a waste of police time) , they hide in door ways watching smokers , they drop a match , a ciggie butt and out comes an £80 fine.

Manchester has a ton of these lowlives and they even fined a whole street of people when the postie chucked the post away, by looking at the addresses of the letters.

so Manchester is still full of litter and illegal tipping , but those things are hard to catch so it is ignored.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 14:39 - 19 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It changes from county to county, no one needs to be told on here for the 1000th time that pigs take the piss.

Ta

Killa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

tonyyzf
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 08:20 - 20 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that they play 'snooker', pot a red car, then go for a colour.

Also watch out towards the end of the month, they always try and meet their monthly targets and if they're short they'll be out in force (pardon the pun) for the last few days of every month.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:37 - 20 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonyyzf wrote:

So don't buy a red or a black bike, stick with yellow or green? Laughing

bigedyant
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:56 - 21 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
tonyyzf wrote:

I'm thinking of getting a white one actually, lol

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:16 - 21 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
tonyyzf wrote:

Or what about a colour that's not on a snooker table at all?

Rolling Eyes

Wink

XS1954
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:49 - 21 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

PI's for example are to reduce the number of road accidents by a certain percentage, not to catch 7 speeding blue cars and 5 cars driven by a woman using a mobile phone. They are decided by the government and each Police Force has different targets to meet.

I do however here that the police have a specific PI to catch Siggi and charge him with every unsolved crime since 1997.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:41 - 22 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure I read an article about a points system for the police in North Wales a while back. As I recall, you got the same number of points for catching a drunk driver as you did for catching a rapist.

BrokenNinja
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:47 - 23 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very controversal topic is the PI's for plods, so here's what I found out from a fellow biker and traffic cop in GMP (thats greater manchester)

They do have PI's, these include catching people for mobile phone, no seat belt, and speeding. They also have what is called sanction detection (which they have to get 2 per month inline with the labour government policy)

A sanction detection is an arrest and charge for a crime offence such as assault/theft/dangerous driving-riding etc.

I asked him about the so called bike campaign for this summer and he said they weren't having one!!

They will only bother bikers if they ride like loonies through residential areas. They would rather catch young noobs on scooters with no 'L' plates, and insurance than responsible bikers, so it don't look to bad here. But obviously can not comment on any other part of the country.

He did say that North Yorkshire & North Wales are having a bikesafe campaign this year though.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:39 - 23 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrokenNinja wrote:
A very controversal topic is the PI's for plods, so here's what I found out from a fellow biker and traffic cop in GMP (thats greater manchester)

They do have PI's, these include catching people for mobile phone, no seat belt, and speeding. They also have what is called sanction detection (which they have to get 2 per month inline with the labour government policy)

A sanction detection is an arrest and charge for a crime offence such as assault/theft/dangerous driving-riding etc.

I asked him about the so called bike campaign for this summer and he said they weren't having one!!

They will only bother bikers if they ride like loonies through residential areas. They would rather catch young noobs on scooters with no 'L' plates, and insurance than responsible bikers, so it don't look to bad here. But obviously can not comment on any other part of the country.

He did say that North Yorkshire & North Wales are having a bikesafe campaign this year though.

I read that in the MEN last year before I wandered off to another part of the country (and came back) and I thought it was canned due to the ever increasing letters and complaints about it.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

stivh
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:20 - 27 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devils Bridge Bank Holiday

Two unmarked motors
Two unmarked Police Bikers
Four Marked Police Bikers

8 Coppers on one road all on Double time and all with a day off in lieu time paid

And a purge on every Motorbike passing through on one main road reason why?

Motor cyclists with alleged dodgy number plates

Why?

Simple £30.00 fine and about 200+ process reports and a stack of road side detections.

At the end of the day they are just glorified tax inspectors for the Labour Government.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:53 - 27 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

if they cannie get you on small plate since mines legal size do they check over your entire bike to find faults? , AFAIK my bike is fine , such stops are an unwelcome intrusion into my privacy
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

stivh
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 04:57 - 28 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

When they did my mate for his lightly smoked style plate which has been through 2 MOT's and had a Flash from the road side cash machine the 'billy no brains' didn't even get as far as stepping out of the car it was a come sit with me finger waving job.

No Q's about the iridium visor or the race pipes or the undisplayed tax disc (it stays in his wallet due to two previous thefts). But then that is a blessing possibly?

Although I reckon it was just sheer laziness and utter boredom as they would probably have prefered to be back at the station munching their chinese take aways and playing poker.

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 11:29 - 28 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siggi wrote:
...malfeasance....

Thumbs Up that's my new word of the day. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:59 - 30 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

stivh wrote:
Devils Bridge Bank Holiday

Two unmarked motors
Two unmarked Police Bikers
Four Marked Police Bikers

Was this Good Friday? I was up there then, I warned a few bikers not at Devils Bridge, but if you come out and take the road that goes to the M6 South. ie left out of carpark then immediate right. Further down there I saw loads of bikers (never been that way before), but 2 marked police bikes.

To be fair, they were in a 30 zone with houses etc.

Huambo81a
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 02:07 - 11 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i`m afraid under this Labour Government you`ll find most things are 'target driven' which invariably leads to a reduction in the quality of service we recieve for everything, the NHS, the police, the council, everything.

To have the enforcers of our laws target driven is the biggest mistake labour have made, the sheer amount of paperwork that these guys have to do is ridiculous, infact usually half of their shift is dedicated to doing paperwork on the crimes they have just attended.

I have worked as a civvy through agencys on a number of occasions for a local police force, and i can tell you that there are alot of good men and women who just want to get on with the job of helping people, but when you have to cope with the bureaucracy that these guys deal with on a day to day basis, jesus.

There was an incident that highlighted my point perfectly, and the fact that the irony was lost on most people was beyond belief.
There is an internal force intranet for the county police and on the bullitin board something akin to this was posted.

"We are seeking your input on ways to crack down on bureaucracy within the force, and your input would be greatly appreciated,

signed
name
'BUREAUCRACY REDUCTION OFFICER'

They setup a department specifically to reduce it, THE MIND BOGGLES!!

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:08 - 11 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I for one object to these targets however they are scored. It's no good giving a monthly target in a job with so many variables, especially such an important role.

Typical of this government though really. Can't see the bigger picture and all of the aggravation they cause to the people on the ground - as long as the rulemakers get more cash. And you can bet they were told it was a shit idea at the time.. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, targets mean fanny-f-all to the normal pc's on the ground. Programme on recently showed how they all clubbed together to beat the 'system' and nominated one guy to earn everyone's points and distribute them equally. So targets are working are they Mr Blair? Fuck off are they! Middle Finger

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 17:15 - 11 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
...pretty sure I read an article about a points system for the police in North Wales a while back....

It wasn't this link was it? Although the bbc article doesn't give the same points for different offences
BBC wrote:
...From 1 July, officers will be set a monthly points target of 200 which they will build up through arrest numbers. Catching a speeding motorist would bring five points while arresting a drink driver would mean 25 points....

SteveyRF600
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:46 - 24 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pi's are really for Hgv's depending on where you are in the country, For motorcyclists 'education' seems to be the hot topic, if you caught speeding in Devon and Cornwall on a bike 500cc or bigger the lilkeyhood is you will be offered to go on a course for a day costing you £80 instead of the £60 and 3 points,

Hope it helps! Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 333 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1