Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

I need some gallery software

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

jonnay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:49 - 19 Apr 2006    Post subject: I need some gallery software Reply with quote

Alright people,
I've just bought a domain name, and just want to host a load of my general pictures in a web-gallery. I've already got a bit of webspace (50 mb) which I add to with an FTP program, but I really want to just link my new domain to a web-gallery.

Can anyone suggest a website which will let me have my own user space to stick the pictures up in, or alternativley a program which will generate a HTML gallery I can upload to my webspace?

Thanks,
Jon

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 18:56 - 19 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two main gallery's i know are coppermine and jalbum.

Coppermine is a lot more complicated compared to jalbum and personally i don't really like it.

Jalbum is a simple free program which creates the album and has a program in it which will upload to your website.

The sites are:

https://jalbum.net/

https://coppermine.sf.net/

My site is www.mark-tate.co.uk have a play around see what you think. Im sure someone else will post a coppermine gallery for you to have a look at as well. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jonnay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:00 - 19 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Mark, I'm going to give Jalbum a try, because I can't even understand the coppermine homepage, let alone the script itself Laughing

Thanks,
Jon

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 21:15 - 19 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh i couldn't either. Laughing

Plus your website needs to support stuff like php, mysql etc. I am hosting with 1&1 ms servers and don't think it supports it.

Getting along nicely with jalbum, although i don't think it's very easy to add photo's to an existing album. I have been rebuilding them all everytime which takes ages then reuploading it all again. Confused

Probably an easy way around that. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:24 - 19 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

markcatate wrote:

Probably an easy way around that. Laughing

there is, lol. Learn to write web pages. Thumbs Up

simon1221
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:04 - 19 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Write your own dynamic website using php and mysql ?

It would be so much quicker in the long run. Thumbs Up

uber noob
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:37 - 19 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah mate, I could of given you 100MB disk space / 1GB bandwidth for free. I offer loads of cool stuff you wouldn't get for free, like Fantastico scripts which would be good for as it has gallery software which you can install in just a couple of clicks (Coppermine and 4Images), plus tons of other fun stuff.

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 01:18 - 20 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

simon1221 wrote:
Write your own dynamic website using php and mysql ?

It would be so much quicker in the long run. Thumbs Up

Than installing coppermine?!

Don't be silly.

divuk83
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:17 - 20 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once up and running coppermine is pretty simple to use, just needs setting up. Plenty of FAQ's on the coppermine site. Anyone with basic HTML knowledge should be able to figure it out.

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 10:50 - 20 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't even need HTML knowledge.

You download it, copy all the files to your web server and run install.php.

You need a webserver with MySql on it, though, but any half decent one has this.

jonnay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:38 - 20 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jalbum is doing great Very Happy

I've stuck up a page here to play around with (the contact link is dead because I'm still working on that, and I haven't done the video page either). Just got to wait for them to activate my domain now.

And yeh, it is a shit webhost, but it does what I need, and I can't afford to buy a better package Sad

Cheers,
Jon

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:45 - 29 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for info Photoshop can generate HTML photo galleries Thumbs Up Smile

There are loads of free scripts out there for galleries though - just need basic HTML knowledge to install and configure Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 3 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1