BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Food!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 10:27 - 21 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omlette is always a good 'I cant be arsed thinking what to cook' meal. Just lob in whatever you've got lying around for a bit of variety, quick and easy.

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 10:39 - 21 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ready steady cook ideas are quite good, not many ingredients and not a great deal of time.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/macaronicheeseandgar_71475.shtml
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ginguar
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:31 - 21 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy recipe I love (sorry not spicy)

Pesto Chicken

Need:
1 chicken breast
1 red pepper (chopped into 2 cm cubes)
some baby new potatoes (cut into app 1 cm cubes)
an onion (red is better) (chopped into 2 cm cubes)
olive oil
pesto sauce

chop up potatoes into app 1 cm. Put on baking tray, pour on olive oil and put in oven for 15 mins (180 ish)

remove tray from oven. Chuck in the veg and mix around. Place chicken breast in centre, spoon over 2 spoons of pesto. Chuck back in oven for app 30 mins.

Serve.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

IronMaiden
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:49 - 21 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Get a girlfriend and make her cook. Razz

2. Visit each one of your relatives & friends around dinner time. Laughing

3. Eat all the samples at the supermarket. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:26 - 21 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMaiden wrote:
1. Get a girlfriend and make her cook. Razz

She does sometimes Smile But I don't see her during the week much.

IronMaiden wrote:
2. Visit each one of your relatives & friends around dinner time. Laughing

Not worth the 520 mile round trip to see relatives, friends are in work Very Happy

IronMaiden wrote:
3. Eat all the samples at the supermarket. Shocked

Better than eating all the samples at the sperm bank I suppose Smile

IronMaiden
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:06 - 21 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:

You would know I guess....? Wink

4. Eat out at a restaurant then put a dead roach on your plate and refuse to pay. Shocked Sick Laughing

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:08 - 21 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMaiden wrote:
Toby R wrote:

You would know I guess....? Wink

4. Eat out at a restaurant then put a dead roach on your plate and refuse to pay. Shocked Sick Laughing

LOL!

Good one. However, I'm stuck for ideas, not poor Smile

ZRX61
Victor Meldrew

PostPosted: 21:37 - 21 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:
Served with a glass of steaming hot butter

A rather nice merlot actually Smile

illusion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:42 - 21 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the best quality sauages you can afford.

Cut the skins off, fry the meat in a pan for a bit, add some onion, get some spaghetti on the go. Dice a courgette and put that in with the spaghetti for about 5 minutes. Empty a tin of chopped tomatoes in the frying pan once the meat has fried a bit. Grate some cheese into the pan to thicken the sauce up a bit. Add some basil and pepper, and anything else you like to give it some more flavour. Mix all together, chuck some more cheese on top, sorted Smile Thumbs Up

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 21:44 - 21 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

illusion wrote:

Cut the skins off, fry the meat in a pan for a bit,

why not just buy pork mince ?

illusion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:52 - 21 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

COLINWALL wrote:
illusion wrote:

Cut the skins off, fry the meat in a pan for a bit,

why not just buy pork mince ?

Could do, but not quite the same taste as some nice good quality cumberlands or lincolnshire Razz

Brava210
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:28 - 21 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

cover everything in lea & perrins...... Smile
Honda Novio, Puch Grand Prix, Suzuki AP50, CZ 125, Wassell 125, Montesa 348,Honda 125TDC, Suzuki 100ER, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Aprillia Pegaso, Honda PCX125, Honda Forza300, BMW G310 GS, Suzuki SFV650, Honda CB500X

CHARLEY SAYS " ALWAYS TELL YOUR MUMMY BEFORE YOU GO OFF SOMEWHERE"

Skunkcap Freddie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:12 - 22 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

old el paso wraps and spice's , the food still rocks a day after Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

hedjehog
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:25 - 22 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the mushrooms out of feef's chilli con carne and that's got my vote. Dead easy, relatively 'square' nutritionally, with spicy heat when I can't be arsed to do a curry. Moreish. Also, as skunkcap suggests, it's one of those magical dishes which tastes better the day after.

Ooh I'm hungry. Drooling

hedjehog

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:28 - 23 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

*scratches head in a mystified fashion*

Cooking ...

Cooking ... ?

I'm sure I remember doing that once.

Is that the thing where you use the cooker for other than lighting fags?

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:33 - 23 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about ...

... Get Stuffed Cool

https://www.getstuffed.info/index.html

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 19:44 - 23 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tobes,

I'll post back again at some point during the week, but i'll leave you with a teaser, it's mexican accompanied with mexican beer, you can't go wrong. Pics'll come as well if i can be arsed Laughing

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:12 - 23 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'm being all serious now. Having just returned from a damn fine feed of lamb shanks at Witherspoons (!! shut it !!) I realised that instead of haring off to the pub for such a feed, it would have been possible to recreate such fare at home, so here for your delectation is a recipe, made up out of my head.

Lamb shanks are a very trendy thing to eat these days, but are very cheap if you know what to ask for instead of the actual shanks.

* Go to butcher
* Order half a dozen lamb shanks (which are effectively the wingy-bits chopped off the end of shoulders or legs of lamb, a relatively cheap cut of meat anyway)

Heat the oven to about gas mark 4, and put all the lamb bits in a decent sized casserole dish with two medium sized onions (don't bother to peel the onions, just make sure they are clean and cut off the ends - leave the brown skins on, they give the dish colour).

Add a bay leaf and steal a few leaves of rosemary off a neighbour's tree. Maybe crush a clove of garlic if you are feeling continental.

General cookery tip: Don't waste your time/money with "cook in sauce" potions or powders, if you have the herbs or spices, they are much nicer.

No need for oil, the lamb is quite fatty enough. The fat from the lamb will seep out in cooking and make it nice and rich. Adding extra oil will just leave a nasty slick on the top of your gravy.

Cover the meat and onions with half a bottle of red wine (cheapo plonk is perfectly adequate) ... and top up with water till all the meat is covered. Put a lid on the casserole dish (most important!)

Bung it all in the pre-heated oven, turn the oven down to about gas mark 2 and leave it there for two hours till the water and wine is all reduced to a nice thick rich gravy.

It is useful to check on it from time to time, take off lid, turn the meat over in the sauce so it gets braised all over. The slow cooking (braising) is what turns a bunch of wine flavoured water with floating leaves and herby stuff into a rich meaty gravy.

Eat with mashed potatoes and steamed veg.
Handsome!

queen of string
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:35 - 24 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

buy ready rolled puff pastry, flatten it out and put it on a baking sheet. score a line about 1 inch form the edge all round. fill the middle with whatever you fancy, tonight I had smoked mackerel and creme fraiche and tomato. grilled veg and cheese is nice too. dont make this layer too thick. put in the oven about 220 deg for at least 20 mins or until browned and bubbling. most inventions are nice cold too.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:06 - 24 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know you get those Dolmio stir-in pasta things in pots, that cost about £1.25?

Well this is a sauce, which (if you spend the effort making on a lazy Sunday afternoon), is similar to that, only you can freeze it and nuke at a later date, or leave on the cooker in a big pot, and scoff bits out of it for up to three days without it going off.

Grandma's Pasta Sauce*

Fry two chopped onions (skins off this time) in a slosh of oil (not necessarily olive oil, cos its expensive, but it does make the sauce nice and slick). You have to do it in a BIG pot. One of them catering things is ideal, you just add extra tomatoes or meat or whatever, depending on what size saucepan/frying pan you use. A wok is perfect. "Grandma" used to use a big clay casserole dish with a flat bottom and a lid that she seasoned with olive oil and cut garlic.

Add crushed garlic, fresh chopped basil leaves, dried oregano and a bit of ground black pepper.

Brown the meat in garlic and oil mixture. (Any old cheap steak is fine, cos its another of those "long-cooking" things and the length of cooking tenderises up the meat nicely). Again, our friend the lamb comes in useful here, because the cheaper cuts are perfectly good for this, even with the bones in, as the meat all falls off eventually anyway.

Add two tins of tinned tomatoes, and a small can of tomato puree (or a jar of passata). Chop the tomatoes about with a wooden spoon to break them up.

Fill the tomato tins with water and add that as well. Also add half a glass of wine. This should adequately cover the meat.

Leave the entire lot to cook on a very low heat for three or hours, giving it the odd stir so it doesnt stick to the bottom as it starts to thicken. It goes very rich, red and glossy (the opposite to the lamb shanks thing, where you don't want little slicks of oil on the top ... in this one, you do - thats the bits that are nice to dunk french bread into).

Your kitchen will smell now like an Italian restaurant.

If you used meat with bones in it, use a fork to force all the meat off the bones, which by this time, it should mostly be falling off very easily with a fork.

Use the sauce to top hot pasta. Do NOT insult this sauce by using packaged parmesan. You must ONLY use freshly grated parmesan or pecorino.

Take all the big chunks of meat out of the sauce onto a separate plate. Eat with salad.

Add to hot pasta, or spoon onto French bread, or dip pieces of pizza into it.

*"Grandma" being a proper Italian grandma (my ex-mother in law) who grew and stewed her own supplies of italian tomatoes and basil every summer in a back garden in Hounslow till the day she died.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:08 - 24 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, forgot the secret ingredient/s - which it took me and my ex-husband about seven years of experimenting to discover Shocked

Bay leaves (2 or 3)
A teaspoon of sugar.

Add these at the "putting in the tomato stuff" stage.

Born2bVile
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:30 - 28 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look round for cheap cookery books. They might only yield half a dozen recipes you like, but a lot of the time you can 'mix & match' parts of one recipe with another to create something new.

The more you cook for yourself, the better you become.

But I would recommend spending money on ingredients. That bargain buy of meat will be pumped full of water to inflate it and will shrink down to nothing when cooked. Cheap tinned tomatoes have more juice than tomato and a watery juice at that.

But avoid buying spices at supermarkets. Go to the Indian supermarkets, buy a big bag for next to nothing and keep the spices in coffee jars. Schwarz jars are for the things you need only small amounts of occasionally (juniper berries, Saffron etc).

Cheers,

Byrnie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

bazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:42 - 28 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/ishop/877/shopscr409.html

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:38 - 29 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Born2bVile wrote:
The more you cook for yourself, the better you become.

This is true.
When married to the Italian, I became a better cook than I had ever been before.

But beware, this also works in reverse!
Since being un-married to him I have become lazy and never cook that way much these days (much to my daughter's frustration).

I almost cancelled my divorce proceedings when I went to my mother-in-law's funeral, where my ex-husband produced a tray of roast chicken pieces wrapped in bacon and pesto Shocked

Quote:
Cheap tinned tomatoes have more juice than tomato and a watery juice at that.

This is also true. Buy a quality brand if you can afford it. If you are on a really tight budget, tomato puree is your friend. Buy it in small tins or in glass jars with replaceable lids, rather than large tins. A spoonful stirred into a tin of tomato juice and water makes a passable "passata".

Also remember that buying tinned tomatoes, even the cheap ones, its cheaper to buy them whole than chopped, even though the difference in price is a few pence ... you are only paying for someone in the factory to chop them up, which you can do just as easily with a wooden spoon once they are in the sauce.

Quote:
But avoid buying spices at supermarkets. Go to the Indian supermarkets, buy a big bag for next to nothing and keep the spices in coffee jars. Schwarz jars are for the things you need only small amounts of occasionally (juniper berries, Saffron etc).

This is another top tip! Schwarz jars are generally a horrendous rip off, apart from as mentioned.

Invest in a marble pestle and mortar. A really nice mix of spices to use is a combination of fennel, caraway or cumin seeds. Dry fry a handful of each/any in a small nonstick frying pan, and then tip them into the mortar (pestle?) and grind them up. They produce a fragrant cloud of dust (best not inhaled, else you'll sneeze all night) .. which makes the kitchen smell wonderful, and which is delicious sprinkled on meat (especially chicken) before roasting.

Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 4 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2