Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:05 - 21 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

derbisenda16 wrote:
Dos is the basline of windows............ Rolling Eyes

Some viruses embed themselfs into this so nothing running on windows can remove them....To remove them you need to boot into dos and remove them manually.... thats what it means.

You are talking complete and utter shit.

HTH

Toby

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:09 - 21 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Viruses are a pain in the arse. Anyone who says they aren't a problem has simply been lucky not to have been hit by a nasty one.

Aye, not as bad as the older viruses that would allocated too much power and fry the motherboard. I've heard of one that caused the hard disk needle to seek right though the fucking surface of the platter.

Quote:
Some of them even allow a third party to take over your computer remotely.

An alarming amount of hacks and virus infections are actually exploits of human trust, rather than code.

I take it you're HerbalDayZ come back to haunt us then?

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:31 - 21 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have tried them all but disliked them all in the end.

Don't use any now to be honest. Although they do run at start up, I just close the stupid things down. Evil or Very Mad Takes up to much memory and slows the net down.

derbisenda16
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:54 - 21 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

got onto the boot sector of the hard drive and fucked it.

remotely.

Thats imposible ..the boot part of the computer is the ROM..read only memory and it can not be effected or over written...Do you mean it got into the Operating systems boot sequence and fucked that>

senna_f4
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:04 - 21 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

derbisenda16 wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

remotely.

Thats imposible ..the boot part of the computer is the ROM..read only memory and it can not be effected or over written...Do you mean it got into the Operating systems boot sequence and fucked that>

Stinkwheel is correct. Derbisenda, have you heard of NTLDR, GRUB or LILO, they are boot loaders, the first is the windows one. They all reside on the boot sector and if a virus corupts them you canot boot from that drive.
Though it is quite easy to fix the boot sector, if you have suitable tools.

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:18 - 21 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

derbisenda16 wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

remotely.

You should really stop posting in the Geek Zone forum now, you have proved to know absolutely bugger all, so STFU.

craigie b
Citizen Smith

PostPosted: 16:30 - 21 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go onto a bit torrent site and download the corporate version of symantec antivirus. For some unbeknown reason it doesn't require registering, thus doesn't need cracked. Corporate protection for free.

If your using a broadband connection then invest in a hardware firewall/router then your as safe a houses! I wouldn;t bother with software firewalls as they use resources and aren;t as secure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 16:46 - 21 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Viruses are a pain in the arse. Anyone who says they aren't a problem has simply been lucky not to have been hit by a nasty one.

When I first got this computer, it was hit by three viruses when it first connected to the internet to update the antivirus data. One of them was the blaster worm, this makes your computer shutdown 30 seconds after connecting to the internet. Within three minutes of connecting to the internet it was totally unusable.

agreed, they are a big problem and a big pain and the arse, and selective viewing of sites and links isnt gonna help a damn to prevent you getting screwed over by them

i remember last year, me and bro were formatting our pc at home, and upon reinstalling windows, and then going to microsoft to update. the anti virus software couldnt update quick enough before the pc got totally fucked over, ended up having to format 3 times in one night

and it was a total pain in the arse, not particularly impressed with any software as stuff still manages to get into any pc ive used, but some is better than none
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 17:02 - 21 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems quite a few of you have problems reformatting a PC because of viruses, I would recommend streamlining Service Pack 2 within the original Windows XP disc and then use that as your boot disk.

There are websites that show you how to do this, but I can't be arsed to find them. Mr. Green

As for Norton corporate, yeah it is cool that it's free but NORTON is shit. You might as well email a hacker and tell him to hack you, seriously it will tell you that you have a virus but it won't get rid of it will it!
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 17:11 - 21 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found norton to be a resource hog. Confused

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:16 - 21 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not forgetting that a lot of viruses and trojan horse programs copy themselves to places other than the hard drive...
m99dws This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 22:26 - 21 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

derbisenda16 wrote:

The boot part of the computer hasn't been on ROM since the Commodore Amiga back in the 90's. That was a computer without a hard disc drive.

Modern PC's have a BIOS which controls the most basic IO function of a PC. The actual boot process begins after the BIOS has triggered it , and begins on the PC's hard disc drive. Hence the expression 'boot sector' on a hard disc.

Maybe its time to listen at school! Smile

djr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:42 - 21 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

derbisenda16 wrote:

You sir... ARE a numpty... you never heard of upgrading your bios?

MarJay wrote:

The boot part of the computer hasn't been on ROM since the Commodore Amiga back in the 90's. That was a computer without a hard disc drive.

Modern PC's have a BIOS which controls the most basic IO function of a PC. The actual boot process begins after the BIOS has triggered it , and begins on the PC's hard disc drive. Hence the expression 'boot sector' on a hard disc.

Geek.

MarJay wrote:

Maybe its time to listen at school! Smile

Wouldn't help, I don't know what they taught in schools when "you were a lad" but these days the only things that get taught are microsoft word, microsoft excel, microsoft publisher and microsoft access.

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 23:25 - 21 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

dav^^ wrote:

Wouldn't help, I don't know what they taught in schools when "you were a lad" but these days the only things that get taught are microsoft word, microsoft excel, microsoft publisher and microsoft access.

Exactly, which isn't a true reflection on ICT skills as I am crap at using all of those programs, yet I can put together a PC and make it run smoothly, but my only reflection of this is a D in ICT GCSE, just because I hate using Microsoft Office.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:25 - 21 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the easiest way to get pissed off is install zone alarm. It's the equivalent of aol (i.e. for people who dont know any better)

a lot of people these days have routers which will stop everyones worst nightmare, blaster (a badly written virus by the way as it was supposed to initiate a DOS attack on microsofts update servers but instead caused windows to get a sulk on and shut down) so unless you open sites you shouldnt or click on dodgy links you'll be ok any way.

before any one disagrees i am an engineer installing servers for IBM in large corps so i think i know what i'm talking about.

at home i have an ms isa server with norton 2006 and ms defender on my laptop and have no problems.

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 23:29 - 21 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My eyes!

I can't believe you just slated ZoneAlarm and then went on to say you use Norton 2006!

The best AntiVirus program I have used so far is Trend Micro PC Cillin 2006. It's easy to use, doesn't affect PC's Performance and when I have been unlucky to get a virus it actually quarantines it and isolates it.

djr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:32 - 21 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsxrmick wrote:
And the easiest way to get pissed off is install zone alarm. It's the equivalent of aol (i.e. for people who dont know any better)

Couldn't agree more... Dell make me hate them as when you buy a pc from them the first thing you have to do is remove AOL, Tiscali, Wannado broadband e.t.c.

Also hate zone Alarm... why on earth does default settings stop outlook connecting to a pop3 server FFS :@ ?

gsxrmick wrote:
at home i have an ms isa server with norton 2006 and ms defender on my laptop and have no problems.

ISA server is lovely! Why would you want to run norton though?
I'd rather run without antivirus then use that Neutral even makes my 4000+ 64 bit machine with 2 gig of memory and raid 0 raptors run slowly Sad.

djr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:37 - 21 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon B wrote:
My eyes!

I can't believe you just slated ZoneAlarm and then went on to say you use Norton 2006!

Slating ZoneAlarm is what professionals do. I still have to question why Norton is still used by anyone! Infact, I have to wonder why symantec are still a company making profit!
Jon B wrote:

The best AntiVirus program I have used so far is Trend Micro PC Cillin 2006. It's easy to use, doesn't affect PC's Performance and when I have been unlucky to get a virus it actually quarantines it and isolates it.

AVG or Avast are the best free AV software's around at the minute.

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:37 - 21 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

dav^^ wrote:

I do a lot of work on customers sites not knowing what there anti-virus policy is, try 2006 its not that bad, really. its worm protection seems to work pretty well too.

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 23:38 - 21 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I use ZoneAlarm Pro, which I have found to be a much better program than Norton Was!

I tried out Panda Internet Security 2006 Platinum edition but that made my Laptop run like a complete dog!

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:43 - 21 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norton Anti-Virus and Zone alarm do 2 different things, why compare them.

And I really dont need to be asked whether outlook express is allowed to access the internet. ffs my 1 year old daughter could answer that. zone alarm is more hassle than its worth, whats wrong with sp2's firewall?

djr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:45 - 21 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsxrmick wrote:
dav^^ wrote:

I do a lot of work on customers sites not knowing what there anti-virus policy is, try 2006 its not that bad, really. its worm protection seems to work pretty well too.

I'll hunt for a free trial some time and give it a go but last time I used it every time you open outlook, copy files across a network, backup data, zip files e.t.c it made my machine run like a complete dog and hammered my hard drive Sad.

djr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:49 - 21 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsxrmick wrote:
Norton Anti-Virus and Zone alarm do 2 different things, why compare them.

He's probably talking about the *ahem* software that is norton internet security

Quote:
And I really dont need to be asked whether outlook express is allowed to access the internet. ffs my 1 year old daughter could answer that. zone alarm is more hassle than its worth, whats wrong with sp2's firewall?
It doesn't block outgoing packets so tends to be a little more trouble then it's worth certainly in an office enviroment(certainly a development house like my work), best practise is either to enforce it through group policy with a decent rules list or to turn it off entirely through group policy... I'm not even commenting here on home use but I don't really have a problem with it for that kind of use.

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:57 - 21 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

norton internet security is the work of the devil Twisted Evil

I agree that group policies etc are the way to go but to be fair how many people have a 2003 dc at home (me excluded Very Happy )

if you want to try norton 2006 dav pm me. Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 10 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3