Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What is Tai chi?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

gimpy limp
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:21 - 22 Apr 2006    Post subject: What is Tai chi? Reply with quote

Has anyone ever tried it over a period of time? What are the health and mental benefits of it? Does it give you energy because that's something i'm lacking now that I've cut back on coffee. I've never really completely understood what it's all about. The trendy-ness of it all is putting me off a little, but I want to take something up that's as easy on my knee's as possible and costs no money to practice (unlike swimming which is costing me a fortune).
I fancy it purely for the slow moving stretches/stances and I fancy getting some balance back into my composer.
I used to be quite involved in various martial arts when we were fit and healthy with a few mates (feng shou, JFJKD and boxing mainly) but now with a dodgy back and 2 torn cartilage (or suspected torn cartilage rather as i've already torn them 4 times) I fancy doing something that will tighten the ligaments/tendons in my knees which costs little money and not too much strain (low impact).

I have a bunch of dvd's step by step teaching you the basics which I'll study further if I do decide to take it up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

phantomtek
Lil Joe Tek

PostPosted: 19:12 - 22 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch Mind, Body and Kick Ass Moves on BBC3 or see if you can find a torrent, basically it channels all the Chi (Lifeforce rough translation means 'Air', the Chinese believe that without it we would not live: You can go for weeks without food, days without water, but you could not exist for one second without Chi)

You can use it for many purposes, whether you want to channel all the Chi in your body to one place to heal it or just for general relaxation, the program showed a bunch of old people who get up, not to go jogging, but to stand in the park and practice Tai Chi - make of that what you will.

And by the way, it's been a while since I've seen this series as it is quite old and since there has been Kick Ass Miracles, but it's well worth a look if you are into stuff like this, or just like Kung Fu and learning about the Far East.

I say go for it, I would do it but I haven't a clue how to start, I think it's one of these things that you have to do regularly and over a long period of time to feel any benefit, it's not an overnight thing.

EDIT: I may have confused parts of this with Chi Gung/Kung.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

gimpy limp
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 20:22 - 22 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiss ass miracles is great isn't it, i've just finished watching it on bbc3 I think episode 2 it was that got me thinking about tai chi. It looked like it could do my knee's a world of good tightening it all up. I think it would be best to look into it further as the more I understand about chi and the other elements of it the more i'll see it as something worthwhile doing.

https://www.mininova.org/search/?search=Mind%2C+Body+and+Kick+Ass+Moves

Crying or Very sad no seeds, does anyone have it they could chuck onto disc for me for a few $£?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

phantomtek
Lil Joe Tek

PostPosted: 20:26 - 22 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

gimpy limp wrote:
kiss ass miracles is great isn't it, i've just finished watching it on bbc3 I think episode 2 it was that got me thinking about tai chi. It looked like it could do my knee's a world of good tightening it all up. I think it would be best to look into it further as the more I understand about chi and the other elements of it the more i'll see it as something worthwhile doing.

https://www.mininova.org/search/?search=Mind%2C+Body+and+Kick+Ass+Moves

Crying or Very sad no seeds, does anyone have it they could chuck onto disc for me for a few $£?

If I dig up the disc, I'll send you them.

Gimme a second to look.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

gimpy limp
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 20:31 - 22 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers, appreciate it

phantomtek
Lil Joe Tek

PostPosted: 20:33 - 22 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right I have found it, PM me your address and I will get them sent out as soon as possible.

Thumbs Up Smile

craigie b
Citizen Smith

PostPosted: 20:33 - 22 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give it a go....see what you think...thats the best way to gauge it!¬

gimpy limp
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 20:44 - 22 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

pm sent Thumbs Up Should be good if it's anything like kick ass miracles.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 10 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1