Problems

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

phantomtek
Lil Joe Tek

PostPosted: 21:09 - 23 Apr 2006    Post subject: Problems Reply with quote

Any animal experts in the house?

Thing is my dog (Lurcher bitch, quite young) keeps chewing my bike cover, emptying bins and generally being a little bastard, now she has chewed my tax disc holder rubber thing off! I dunno where she got the idea from, but I am clueless as to how to stop her doing these naughty things, I have tried pointing at it and saying 'NO' and also tried the pain association technique, but now whenever I grab her collar she howls like a banshee because she knows shes done wrong.

I'm stuck for ideas, any help appreciated.

Oh and sarcastic/demeaning comments are welcome too ZRX Wink Oh and she has a boyfriend already COLIN. Laughing Smile

Last edited by phantomtek on 21:36 - 23 Apr 2006; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:15 - 23 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get it a cage. If it chews, put it in the cage. My bitch bull terrier soon stopped chewing after getting a cage, now its left up as her home and a slight deterrent against chewing. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 21:18 - 23 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smear dog food on the curb and wait for it to start chewing on that. When it has the curb in it's mouth stamp on the back of its head - American History X stylee. Problem solved Thumbs Up

phantomtek
Lil Joe Tek

PostPosted: 21:20 - 23 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nb wrote:
Get it a cage. If it chews, put it in the cage. My bitch bull terrier soon stopped chewing after getting a cage, now its left up as her home and a slight deterrent against chewing. Thumbs Up

Damn fine idea! Thumbs Up Very Happy

Joe wrote:
Smear dog food on the curb and wait for it to start chewing on that. When it has the curb in it's mouth stamp on the back of its head - American History X stylee. Problem solved

Not so sure my Mum would appreciate that one. :/ Laughing Laughing

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:24 - 23 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nb wrote:

Thumbs Up

We actaully got rid of our second staff when he was still a pup cos he destroyed our place everyday, the foster kennels suggetsed we had tried a muzzle for in door use when out (as thats when he chewed).

A muzzle is not cruel, the dog can still drink and lick its own dangleys Wink

phantomtek
Lil Joe Tek

PostPosted: 21:27 - 23 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:
Nb wrote:

Thumbs Up

We actaully got rid of our second staff when he was still a pup cos he destroyed our place everyday, the foster kennels suggetsed we had tried a muzzle for in door use when out (as thats when he chewed).

A muzzle is not cruel, the dog can still drink and lick its own dangleys Wink

It hasn't got any Laughing

I'm going to suggest the muzzle and cage to my Mum later, I'm really sick of it destroying my stuff.

Steve H
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:32 - 23 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/imagedump/13107.jpg

Dog Borstal - It's what your TV license is paying for Shocked

I came across the programme last week when I was channel surfing (honest, I'm not a regular viewer Confused ) and they used a plastic bottle with a load of stones in it - whenever the dog was 'bad' they shook the bottle vigorously and said 'NO'. It seemed to work on a Labrador that had an mental attack everytime it's owner put on a jumper - Now he's able to wear Primark haute couture without his dog having a fit!

Last edited by Steve H on 21:37 - 23 Apr 2006; edited 2 times in total

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:34 - 23 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like said earlier, a cage serves a purpose in the early training stage and then a bed and comfort zone after

phantomtek
Lil Joe Tek

PostPosted: 21:35 - 23 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve H wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/imagedump/13107.jpg

Dog Borstal - It's what your TV license is paying for Shocked

Good idea!

Thumbs Up Mr. Green

I thought I was gonna be spat some Steve H brand fiyah but nevermind : - (

Steve H
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:58 - 23 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

phantomtek wrote:
I thought I was gonna be spat some Steve H brand fiyah but nevermind

Phantom Check it, I confess my FIYAH is broken,
I'm gonna rhyme my lyrics with words unspoken.
Lyric Doctor's on call, He's not a man of fiction,
Rollin' down to my crib, write me a proppa prescription.

I'm on the medication my Rhymin's in a state,
Gotta chill with my homies and recuperate.
The 'H' will be back though, brand new on the mend,
Spittin' my FIYAH. Subject? Man's best Friend.

Illin' on Penicillin Wink

phantomtek
Lil Joe Tek

PostPosted: 22:00 - 23 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve H wrote:
phantomtek wrote:
I thought I was gonna be spat some Steve H brand fiyah but nevermind

Phantom Check it, I confess my FIYAH is broken,
I'm gonna rhyme my lyrics with words unspoken.
Lyric Doctor's on call, He's not a man of fiction,
Rollin' down to my crib, write me a proppa prescription.

I'm on the medication my Rhymin's in a state,
Gotta chill with my homies and recuperate.
The 'H' will be back though, brand new on the mend,
Spittin' my FIYAH. Subject? Man's best Friend.

Illin' on Penicillin Wink

How do you do that!?

Clapping Clapping Karma cookie for Steve H Clapping Clapping

Much 'spect. Wink

ZRX61
Victor Meldrew

PostPosted: 00:09 - 24 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try giving it some bones to chew on instead.

phantomtek
Lil Joe Tek

PostPosted: 00:16 - 24 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZRX61 wrote:
Try giving it some bones to chew on instead.

Good thinking, but when it has those it eats them in like 5 minutes, eats the other dogs then my bike cover Sad

Cheers for the none demeaning reply though Smile

ZRX61
Victor Meldrew

PostPosted: 00:21 - 24 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cow femurs, takes my wolves at least a day to get thru one. Just saw it in half first (the bones, not your dog, altho that would sort the chewing problem)

phantomtek
Lil Joe Tek

PostPosted: 00:25 - 24 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZRX61 wrote:
Cow femurs, takes my wolves at least a day to get thru one. Just saw it in half first (the bones, not your dog, altho that would sort the chewing problem)

Laughing Laughing Laughing

I've seen your wolves, they aren't small. Shocked

I'll look into these cow femurs, obviously will save the muzzle till after I give the dog the femur Laughing

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 01:25 - 24 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree that giving the dog something else to chew on is a good idea

im a bit surprised that zrx61 has wolves tho

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:28 - 24 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

COLINWALL wrote:

Really? Laughing

Phanny, that bottle technique (yes, I've seen Dog Borstal as well Embarassed ) really seems to work. Every time you see them doing something you don't like, take the bottle, whack it down on the ground very hard, and yell 'NO!' They soon get the picture.

ZRX61
Victor Meldrew

PostPosted: 02:36 - 24 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

COLINWALL wrote:

Here's one of em:
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/ZRX61/Pups/Deif1.jpg

Paul@125power
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 02:59 - 24 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

All problems concerned with animal behaviour alteration are dealt with use positive and negative reinforcment techniques. The most famous experiment was to do with pavlov's dog, an experiment showing behaviour association techniques if I remember correctly.

Basically, for some unknown reason your dog has adapted the stated behavioural patterns and to correct them you need to use negative reinforcement!

Examples: In terms of children

Positive reinforcment: If you be a good boy/girl I will buy you a present (this also incorporates extrinsic motivation)

Negative reinforcement: If you are a naughty boy/girl you will be grounded

So in conclusion you have to incorporate negative reinforcment into the dog behaviour as to stop the unwanted behavioural patterns.

By this you could for instance, find a smell that the dog really doesn't like, then, put this smell onto your cover and tax disc holder (either it be terps or some other high odour substance) Then, when the dog goes to bite your stuff it will not like it and it will learn after time that doing what it does will not give good results and it will stop doing it due to association. e.g. (the dog thinks) 'I'm not going near that, it stinks and I hate it'. This will continue long after you do this and even after you stop applying the bad smell.

This can also be done for positive reinforcment.

You could find out which smell the dog really doesn't like by placing different substances into a bowl and getting it to smell them and go from there.

These techniques are used by many behavioural psychologists! It is based on associating things totally unrelated to a bad memory!

Yamaha YQ100 (RIP)......Honda CBR125R
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

fast_tzr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:34 - 24 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZRX61 wrote:
COLINWALL wrote:

Here's one of em:
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/ZRX61/Pups/Deif1.jpg

Cripes that does look rather scary, but then again thats the pansy approach, if you want to be proper hardcore get a tiger Wink
Did have one of those malamut things in our kennels though, I swear the thing was like 95% wolf and 5% dog, awesome thing it was, was only in the kennels though cos the owner was having building work done and everytime the builders lent over to hammer something, the thing would creep up behind them and promptly howl like a bastard /cue mucho jumping up in alarm and spilling hot mug of tea/ Laughing

phantomtek
Lil Joe Tek

PostPosted: 20:01 - 24 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, tried the bottle technique, as I've said to Rookie it is now scared of a bottle. Laughing Confused

It actually seems to be scared of the bike cover, so christ knows why it would want to bother chewing it (it has basically ripped the end to pieces) and pulling it off the bike to lay on it.

Paul that is very good advice, just what I am learning about in college at the moment so it's good also to have a refresher about that, but like I said the pain association thing doesn't work, whenever I take her near the cover to sort of say 'NO' and slam the bottle it wriggles and howls like it's having 10 inch pins stuck through it's eyes while being rodgered by a barge pole (Not like I'd know what that actually sounds like, but I've got a faint idea.) I don't want the neighbours thinking I'm a dog abuser or anything.

I don't get why she knows it's wrong but still does it? Is it a phase?

Paivi
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:30 - 24 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

phantomtek wrote:
Right, tried the bottle technique, as I've said to Rookie it is now scared of a bottle. Laughing Confused

Try this trick, suggested by Stanley Coren (it may not work, as he suggests you do it when the dog does his first damage):

"Call the dog over to you and have him sit next to you. You may have to slip the dog's leash onto him if he frightens easily. Then show him the item that he chewed, or one that you don't want him to chew. Next (this will sound odd), while the dog watches, you angrily punish the item, slapping the [bike cover] itself and yelling "No!" and so forth in a sham display of displeasure. Dogs tend to watch what we do and also to respond to our voice, motions and other actions that signal our state of mind. This loud, angry display will cause a negative emotional response in the dog, but since his eyes are on the object you are hitting, that feeling is attached to the thing that you want the dog to leave alone and not to you. Thus the sequence of events is "sight of object - angry behaviour - fear". You may have to repeat this several times over the next few days, but eventually it will produce the conditioned sequence "sight of object - stress and avoidance" in your dog. It does work, only I suggest that you don't do it when someone who has not read this book is around, since it may be difficult to explain why you are spanking your [bike cover] while your dog looks on!"

phantomtek wrote:
It actually seems to be scared of the bike cover, so christ knows why it would want to bother chewing it (it has basically ripped the end to pieces) and pulling it off the bike to lay on it.

Because you smell of your bike, as does your bike cover. She wants to cover herself with your smell to show she belongs to you and to your pack. In wolf packs, it's not unknown to have lower ranking wolves roll in the Alpha male's faeces to get the scent. I hope she doesn't do that...

phantomtek wrote:
when it has those it eats them in like 5 minutes, eats the other dogs then my bike cover

She eats other dogs? Shocked Maybe she's just hungry... Wink

phantomtek
Lil Joe Tek

PostPosted: 22:41 - 24 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paivi wrote:
phantomtek wrote:

Try this trick, suggested by Stanley Coren (it may not work, as he suggests you do it when the dog does his first damage):

"Call the dog over to you and have him sit next to you. You may have to slip the dog's leash onto him if he frightens easily. Then show him the item that he chewed, or one that you don't want him to chew. Next (this will sound odd), while the dog watches, you angrily punish the item, slapping the [bike cover] itself and yelling "No!" and so forth in a sham display of displeasure. Dogs tend to watch what we do and also to respond to our voice, motions and other actions that signal our state of mind. This loud, angry display will cause a negative emotional response in the dog, but since his eyes are on the object you are hitting, that feeling is attached to the thing that you want the dog to leave alone and not to you. Thus the sequence of events is "sight of object - angry behaviour - fear". You may have to repeat this several times over the next few days, but eventually it will produce the conditioned sequence "sight of object - stress and avoidance" in your dog. It does work, only I suggest that you don't do it when someone who has not read this book is around, since it may be difficult to explain why you are spanking your [bike cover] while your dog looks on!"

phantomtek wrote:

Because you smell of your bike, as does your bike cover. She wants to cover herself with your smell to show she belongs to you and to your pack. In wolf packs, it's not unknown to have lower ranking wolves roll in the Alpha male's faeces to get the scent. I hope she doesn't do that...

phantomtek wrote:
when it has those it eats them in like 5 minutes, eats the other dog's then my bike cover

She eats other dogs? Shocked Maybe she's just hungry... Wink

Thank you very much for that, really informative, where were you taught that?

So instead of showing her the cover, and then saying NO while giving her a boot up the arse is a no no, I indulge in spanking the cover instead? Interesting. Although, if I do this she really freaks out. Doesn't like the cover being harmed one little bit.

This is the bit I really like:

Paivi wrote:
She wants to cover herself with your smell to show she belongs to you and to your pack.

That's quite interesting, never saw it that way, just thought she was being naughty and ripping it for the fun of it. I know she likes to be comfortable, she rips washing off the line so she can lay on it, that's how bad she is for doing stuff like that. Been out to check the cover a few times now, and it's still intact. Maybe I should put that bottle on a pike as a warning Razz

I have also amended the mistake in the last paragraph Razz

Thankyou Smile

Paul@125power
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 02:13 - 25 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't get why she knows it's wrong but still does it? Is it a phase?

It is more than likely yes.

Pain accosiation doesn't really work that well. Fear is a better association technique even though it goes against the main purpose of behavioural psycology which is to cure fears and mental problems. But I suppose you have to create something else to stop something else.

I can't remember the name of the experiment of the name of the guy who did it, but, he had a baby and put a fluffy bunny toy in its cot and whenever it toutched the toy he slapped the table next to the cot really hard producing a loud bang and at which point the baby started to cry. He kept doing this until a point were al he had to do was show the baby the bunny and it started crying due to the association with a loud noise. It's an irrashinal behaviour pattern. So for some unknown reason your dog has developed this and you will have to correct it.

Try using a air horn! Take the dog near the bike and stay with it, when it goes to sniff it or bite it, blast the horn (preferably not next to its head).

It will soon learn!

Paivi is quite right, this does happen alot. The most common occerence is dogs ripping the hell out of people bed sheets and clothes because the dog misses you basically.[/quote]

Yamaha YQ100 (RIP)......Honda CBR125R
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:22 - 25 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Wait for dog to chew cover
2) Kick bike over, smashing into dogs head
3) Get fish slice
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 8 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2