Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

4 Bikes, 3 Days, 2 wheels and a shitload of fudge!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

Black Knight
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:06 - 24 Apr 2006    Post subject: 4 Bikes, 3 Days, 2 wheels and a shitload of fudge! Reply with quote

I had a little trip to the South West this weekend. Things couldn't have gone better, it was absolutely fantastic! Very Happy

I was at Squires fairly early Fri morning, that early nobody else was there yet!, not even Harry! Just sat outside wearing my Balaclava getting soaked through! Great! what a start Evil or Very Mad
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v420/Stealthdog/Lands%20End/DSCF0030.jpg

It continued to chuck it down until we got to leicester, got a little warmer and a little dryer. I'm glad it did as I was on the verge of turning round and going back home!
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v420/Stealthdog/Lands%20End/DSCF0034.jpg

Eventually got down to Exeter, We had arranged to stay in a Youth Hostel. Not somewhere I would initially thought of but a friend reccomended the idea so I thought I'd give it a try.
I'm glad I did. Beautiful location, secure, hot powerful showers, TV, internet and best of all cheap as chips.

If you go for weekends away a lot, its well worth looking into using them. The most expensive and luxurious being Central London, private rooms, tea, coffee, TV all in your room, breakfast included for little over £20. Bargain!
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v420/Stealthdog/Lands%20End/DSCF0035.jpg

On the Sat we set off for Lands End, started with quite a difficult B road right over the wilderness of Dartmoor. Had to watch out for the sheep!
Took some slow A roads and some fast ones but had big, big fun! I wasn't 100% happy with the bike before I went, was considering selling it as it didn't quite feel right. Not after this weekend, me and her did some serious bonding! Very Happy

Roads were brilliant, lovely and smooth, pretty much clear too when we got to Lands end. Weather was splendid, not a cloud in the sky! Very Happy
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v420/Stealthdog/Lands%20End/DSCF0045.jpg
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v420/Stealthdog/Lands%20End/DSCF0051.jpg
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v420/Stealthdog/Lands%20End/DSCF0053.jpg

Got hack to the Hostel around 9:30, Nick was reading the paper and snoring after about 4 min. Jimmy lasted about 6 and I soon followed after!
Lads weekend away, all in bed by 10pm! Laughing

Was hoping to do Wales on the return trip on Sun but decided against it as we were loaded with luggage and weather wasn't brilliant. Sad

All in all a great little trip, Hoping to do a few more. Very Happy I certainly hope fuel prices come down a bit though! Evil or Very Mad

Pic of the trip goes to BigCat inavertantly doing the funky chicken Laughing
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v420/Stealthdog/Lands%20End/DSCF0058.jpg

Fudge anybody? Wink
Where does a turn end? 'Where you can do anything with the gas you want to, where you are brave again, where your attention is free from the turn, where you are sure you can do it better next time; that's the end' - Keith Code.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git

PostPosted: 03:01 - 24 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't you a bit old to be using a youth hostel?
Is it just a name, or is there actually an age limit?

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 03:10 - 24 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

no age limit these days

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git

PostPosted: 03:24 - 24 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

COLINWALL wrote:
no age limit these days

Hmmm, now that's a nice cheap way to stay in interesting places Thumbs Up

Black Knight
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:35 - 24 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

PsychoHippy wrote:
Aren't you a bit old to be using a youth hostel?
Is it just a name, or is there actually an age limit?

There used to be an age limit but now its open to all. BigCat's membership cost slightly more as he is an old fogie. £5 more if I remember correctly.
Mine was £9.95

You don't actually have to be a member to stay but you will get a £3 surcharge per night. If you're going to have a couple of weekends away over the year it makes sense getting one.

Its certainly something worth considering.I found the booking easy, staff helpful, the rooms clean and the location fantastic.

Its excellent value for money and ideal for bikers.
Take a look
https://www.yha.org.uk/Home/Home_Page/index.html

Where we stayed
https://www.yha.org.uk/hostel/hostelpages/186.html
Where does a turn end? 'Where you can do anything with the gas you want to, where you are brave again, where your attention is free from the turn, where you are sure you can do it better next time; that's the end' - Keith Code.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Method
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:50 - 24 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a great weekend there mate!

Realy interesting idea about the hostels though - i plan to do a lot of weekends / long weekends away over the summer and spring time this year.

Camping is good but its a lot of extra luggage - what are the hostels like for people that actually stay in them? EG: Would the misses by ok with it? Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Fazerkev
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:52 - 24 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup it was good stuff tho next time I'm doing 300 miles of motorway (with that nice A road 1/2 way for an hour), I'm going to spend more than 1 day there. I'm not aching that much today tho I suspect extreme3D is!
I've got a couple of interesting pics to add. Did you mention fudge? Mr. Green

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:05 - 24 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

so.... who packed the fudge?? who did the 'fudge-packing' as it were... Razz

sorry, someone had to say it

looks like a cool trip, landsend (to john o groats) is on my ever-growing list of must do tours Thumbs Up

ph1l
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:45 - 24 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks fab, i will prob do something like that wen i get a bigger bike then a 50cc Razz

NicM
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:34 - 25 Apr 2006    Post subject: Fab time Reply with quote

Well what a fab weekend it was away. Though being the old git (28) I had to pay £15 for YHA membership. Got a couple of photos which are below from the saturday.

Those twisty roads to lands end were fab, and have re-kindled my love of the cat. The new continental tyres are great, would of thanked extrame3d for getting rid of my chicken strips Thumbs Up but after he'd ridden the cat i cranked it over further on my own Very Happy Must thank him for letting us ride the SV....very nice bike and very flickable Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Kev and I lost somewhere on the A38 north ish of truro:
https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/a38_somewhere.jpg

At Lands End in the car park
https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/lands_end.jpg

Battle Comence at Pizza Hut:
https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/battle_starts.jpg

Battle Over:
https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/battle_over.jpg

Tome you should of been there for the battle Twisted Evil

Black Knight
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:22 - 25 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

That picture does not do justice to the size of that picture, it was HUGE!

Just in case you didn't realise, that pizza wasn't to share betwen us, that was Bigcat's order alone! Laughing

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 17:36 - 25 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black Knight wrote:
...that pizza wasn't to share...

As it should be Thumbs Up Very Happy.
Damn your post, I've now got hunger pangs for a pizza Rolling Eyes

Good story, good pics. Thanks for sharing Thumbs Up
Have to arrange to say hello at Squires sometime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:41 - 25 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great, I really should take a trip down to Lands' End some time, I live relatively close to Exeter meself.

BigCat, where did you get that single seat cowl? Smile

NicM
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:07 - 25 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rookie wrote:
Looks great, I really should take a trip down to Lands' End some time, I live relatively close to Exeter meself.

BigCat, where did you get that single seat cowl? Smile

Got the single seat cowl through Hein Gericke, was about £100 but christams money well spent as I couldn't quite explain to my folks what i wanted. Also had the back end jacked up last week prior to the trip...what a difference it's made to the cornering Very Happy

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:16 - 25 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigCat wrote:

Got the single seat cowl through Hein Gericke, was about £100 but christams money well spent as I couldn't quite explain to my folks what i wanted. Also had the back end jacked up last week prior to the trip...what a difference it's made to the cornering Very Happy

Really? How so?

Fazerkev
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:23 - 25 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a couple more. I've left out a wet petrol stop in at Leicester but you can see the state of Jimmy's exhaust!
https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/dscn0104.jpg
He would've cleaned our bikes if we'd given him a bucket! (don't look that dirty on our pics)
https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/dscn0102.jpg

And the two stuffing their faces at Land's end with, yes, fudge had stuffed themselves with a monster dessert the previous evening:
Belgian waffles with clotted cream, icecream and fudge. and a fudge hot chocolate made with 2/3 clotted cream... you could see a sepertated white layer for heaven's sake!
https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/dscn0107.jpg
https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/dscn0106.jpg

Black Knight
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:16 - 26 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

LMAO! Laughing

Fat ghets!

extreme3d
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:43 - 27 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit, if me and Nick weren't on the bikes, we were eating:

Let me see for myself that was:

Friday:
Large full English Breakfast at Squires.
Burger King Lunch inc dunking donuts at at service station.
Large and I mean LARGE meal at a pub in exeter followed by belgium waffles with fudge, ice cream and clotted cream and a clotted cream special hot chocolate - with a lump of fudge. Mints with the bill too!

saturday:
Youth Hostel all you can eat continental breakfast.
Huge 99 ice cream. We're not talking mr whippy here either, but a decent 5" diameter waffle cone with several scoops of chocolate and no, not a flake but a heavy stick of fudge instead Thumbs Up
Big bag of sweets at lands-end - £3 worth.
Pizza at Kev's Uncles house
More pizza at Pizza hut later....1 each not shared! plus garlic bread side order.
Got woken by Kev as he pulled up outside the hostel after visiting his dad - so munched on the remainder of the sweets.

Sunday
Another Youth Hostel all you can eat continental breakfast Thumbs Up
More Pizza for lunch from a Pizza hut express service station
Home... - large curry Very Happy

AND that's not including all the small snacks provided by Kev in the form of Aldi chocolate bars and a packet of choco digestives somehow squeezed under his fazer's seat Razz

Total calory content anyone... I dread to think Cool

Fazerkev
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 04:15 - 27 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd have been OK were it not for
Arrow My Uncle's "Can I get you Pizza and potato salad, picled onions with that tea.. and would you like biscuits with that tea" (we politely refused biscuits, only due to time constraints)
Arrow And then my 60g Lidl (snickers) bars
Arrow and yes the "there's some wieght to these" dark choc digestives
Lidl's great!
Arrow and the fudge everywhere.

Note to others: remember to bring a Kev and send him to a cheep cheep supermarket of Germna origin before your next trip to the south coast! Wink Laughing

By the way Fazers rock, I not only had them under my arse but also managed to fit that huuge tin of Fuchs Chain Spray Lube somehow, with all the other radios and malarky!

NicM
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:23 - 27 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fazerkev wrote:
By the way Fazers rock, I not only had them under my arse but also managed to fit that huuge tin of Fuchs Chain Spray Lube somehow, with all the other radios and malarky!

Fazer's do rock, they also double up as a high speed dustbin following all the snaks provided by Kev. Its the fastes Yellow wheely bin I've ever seen Wink Laughing

Johnny GSX-R
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:26 - 23 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a good trip, i'm jelous as hell guys.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 359 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1