Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

estate agents

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 15:28 - 24 Apr 2006    Post subject: estate agents Reply with quote

im in charge of selling a house which isnt mine.
In theory the estate agent is acting on my behalf.
I want to get the best price for the house.

The estate agent thinks i should decide between two offers now rather than waiting for more offers to come in, even though its only been on the market a week or two.

I suspect, that he just wants to get it sold so its a sale, off his books so he can concentrate on viewings for the other properties he is selling.

However he might be right that we wont have offers much better.

I have never sold a house before.

Has anyone else got the impression with estate agents that they just want to make a quick sale rather than getting the best price for their clients ?

edit, now a third offer has come in with the same figure as the other two (while i was typing this post)

Paul@125power
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 15:41 - 24 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally yes, but at this point I would take the advise. House prices are starting to fall again after the past few years of general increase in property prices.

So my advise would be to sell because since the prices are on the fall there well might be a price crash due. So sell now just incase.

Thumbs Up Smile

Yamaha YQ100 (RIP)......Honda CBR125R
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

IronMaiden
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:59 - 24 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need a house ! Details please.. Razz

If you already have 3 offers that sounds pretty encouraging.
Is their offer lower than what you are asking? If you can afford to wait longer for a higher offer then I would do that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 16:19 - 24 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are two buyers with no chain

one has already had their finances checked out so we know they have the cash, it will take a while to check out the other one

the third havnt got their house on the market and would need to sell it to buy

the estate agent just called, and the ones with good finances have offered another £10k to get it to the asking price but the catch is this offer only stands for today, so i have to decide by 4:30 whether to accept or not

they have lost out on a house before so I dont think they want to lose this one, as not many come up for sale of the type they want

im tempted to play hardball and stick to the offers in by next week plan so that the others have a chance, but im not sure how serious the others are. so could lose out

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 16:33 - 24 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMaiden wrote:

i think you are moving to london tho so i dont think this will give you much of an idea of house prices there.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-11630351.rsp?pa_n=2&tr_t=buy

im sure you could get a nice 1 bedroom flat for that money in london tho Wink

TOM M
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:44 - 24 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id accept the offer Thumbs Up

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 16:49 - 24 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

COLINWALL wrote:
...ones with good finances have offered another £10k to get it to the asking price...

If you're getting the asking price from someone who can pay then IMO that's about as good as it gets.

Now if someone had come in with the asking price straight away then it would be different. As it stands asking for someone to go over the asking price is risky as they can easily put two fingers up to you, or worse, string you along beforehand, and you're stuffed.

As it's a bike forum think about it as if you were selling your bike. Someone comes up, has a poke around, mutters a little and still offers you what you want. You'd bite their arm off to accept the deal. What's the difference with a house? Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 16:49 - 24 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i feel like im doing phone a friend on who want Who Wants to be a Millionaire.

feels good but the pressure is on

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 16:54 - 24 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

map wrote:

As it's a bike forum think about it as if you were selling your bike. Someone comes up, has a poke around, mutters a little and still offers you what you want. You'd bite their arm off to accept the deal. What's the difference with a house? Wink

its 3 people who all want the same bike they have all offered the same amount, then one says ok i'll give you what you wanted for it if you shake on it now

the thing is I havent had chance to find out if the others can beat his offer. the thing is, i know this guy has the money in his pocket as ive seen it but I dont know about the others

its quite possible it could go a lot higher if 2 people really want it

Ive got 32 minutes to decide. I dont know whats best yet

fast_tzr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:24 - 24 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well what did you decide? I personally would have gone for the people with good finances, they offered the asking price, and are the most likely to pay quickly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

michael j
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:24 - 24 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, what did you do?

m99dws
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:38 - 24 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

We changed our estate agents as they were sending out muppets who weren't even ready to buy, even when we specified not to.
I'd take what you can get, as it's a buyers market not a sellers.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 20:50 - 24 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i decided to stick with the original plan of best offers by tuesday.

Im not 100% sure that we will get more.

The original estate agents only wanted £250k for it, so more aggressive pricing at £285k got us the £275k offers.

If we miss out on £285k and just get £275k its still better than £250k.

It needs work, but not many houses like it come on the market very often. The ppl who offered £285k today (for today only) lost out on a £300k one a few weeks ago, so they might not want to miss another.

It still seems a bit early to close on tuesday as it will only have been on the market for 3 weeks and its not like there is a rush to get a sale.

IronMaiden
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:30 - 25 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

COLINWALL wrote:
IronMaiden wrote:

i think you are moving to london tho so i dont think this will give you much of an idea of house prices there.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-11630351.rsp?pa_n=2&tr_t=buy

im sure you could get a nice 1 bedroom flat for that money in london tho Wink

Thanks for the info Col, lovely big back garden ! Bit far out for me I'm afraid. I found some others on this site though. Thumbs Up

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 11:48 - 25 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah its a good site

i think most estate agents in the country use it

one tip tho, on the search page, tick the box that says 'Include Under Offer, Sold STC and Reserved properties'

its useful to see the ones that have sold, and the ones that are under offers. You can still make an offer on houses that are 'under offer'. Why they take them out of the main listing just cos there are some offers on one, i dont know. It annoys me as someone doing a fresh search in the area of the house Im selling, wdnt see it unless they tick this box because its under offers.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:34 - 25 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but have you got it up for £285k and been offered £285k Confused.

If so, I'd have taken it - doubt anyone's going to offer more than you have it up for Neutral.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:43 - 25 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

COLINWALL wrote:
You can still make an offer on houses that are 'under offer'.

You could do, the estate agent is obliged to pass any offers onto the seller. You go and gazump someone, pay out for a survey to be done, pay out for solicitor fees but if the estate agent and the seller were willing to accept your higher offer you've got no way at all of knowing that someone else isn't going to come along and do the same to you.

If the estate agent wants to go with you gazumping someone then they're being dodgy enough to not be worth the time.
colinwall wrote:
Has anyone else got the impression with estate agents that they just want to make a quick sale rather than getting the best price for their clients ?

If you've had it on the market for a couple of weeks and had offers already then the estate agent will be wanting something to happen quite soon I'd say.

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 15:54 - 26 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing potential purchasers off each other in order to get the best price.

Gazumping is frowned upon.

I would have taken the asking price - you'll never get offered more than the asking price.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 16:00 - 26 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annabella wrote:
you'll never get offered more than the asking price.

I did actually Smile

I was bricking it when I turned down £285k but.

I have now accepted £295k (asking price £285k ) which is £45k more than what the other 2 estate agents wanted to put it on the market for.

I could have tried to hold out for £310k but i think that would have been pushing it.

Maybe I should have let it go the distance and received best offers by Tuesday, but Im not sure how serious the other buyers were. The winning buyer didnt know that tho and didnt want to lose it as he had lost another recently.

and im going to be rewarded for getting the price up too which is good Smile

thanks for everyones advice tho cos otherwise i might have been temtped to hold out for £310k and might have messed up.

The reason I had £310k in mind, is that my ex's boss lives in the same street and had his house valued to be remortgaged. The value of his is £340k but with a garden half the size. Several estate agents said it would cost about £30k to bring the house we are selling up to the standard of others in the area.

Gazumping is when someone has accepted an offer and then accepts a higher offer. I hadnt accepted any offers, I was just receiving offers. The only offer I have accepted is £295k.

I dont think I have made anyone £45k in two weeks before just by being stubborn and taking a risk. Smile

Contracts havnt been exchanged yet tho so anything could happen. Should be ok tho as theres no chain and everyone wants a quick sale.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 6 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1