Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

conveyancing-buyer and seller using same solicitor

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 02:42 - 27 Apr 2006    Post subject: conveyancing-buyer and seller using same solicitor Reply with quote

im involved with selling a house which isnt mine. Although its not mine, me and someone else are responsible for dealing with the sale.

I think we shdnt use the same solicitor that the buyer will be useing as if there is a dispute, the solicitor wont be able to act in the best interests of their client as they have two clients with different interests.

Ok there probably wont be a dispute, but the whole point of using solicitors is so that it can get sorted if there is.

Unfortunately the person who has taken a back seat until now has suddenly decided that we shouldnt switch solicitors from the one we have been using for other stuff, just because our buyer is using the same solicitor. But its not really like switching solicitors, as the other stuff isnt really related and would be handled by a different section in the firm of solicitors anyway.

anyone got any opinions on this ?
anders This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

byke95
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:48 - 27 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a fairly straight forward (potential) conflict of interest, a solicitor cannot represent two parties in the same contract.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Suzuki
Roger

PostPosted: 10:09 - 27 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is illegal for the same solicitor to represent both parties.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:58 - 27 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

its illegal and also professional curtesy , in that a single solicitor can clear things up real quick like and not raise pointless queries to increase hill payment at the end of it , with ttwo solicitors they can ping pong pointless enquiries back and forth and increase their fee on both sides.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 14:05 - 27 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talking about using the same firm of solicitors or the same person?

If it is the same person it is illegal. However, if you are both using, say "Dixons" then it's not a problem, and in actual fact things will happen far more quickly if documentation isn't going to be lost or delayed in the post.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:19 - 27 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If using solicitors then there's lots more regulations than if you're just using a conveyancing firm. Use proper solicitors.

Don't use one's from the same company as the buyer as it'll only complicate things. You'd think that things would run more efficently but they'll be less willing to chase up and hassle the other side if it's one of their other offices.

Use proper solcitiors and use a different company to the buyer. Thumbs Up

[random] Are you considering using a company called Countrywide Property Lawyers?

Suzuki
Roger

PostPosted: 15:32 - 27 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Countrywide Property Lawyers?

What's wrong with them then?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:04 - 27 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats wrong with them... might be quicker and easier to say what's right about them.

- They've got call centres where you have to wait 10 minutes to get through to someone who doesn't know what they're talking about and then if you're lucky they'll be willing to put you through to the convreyancyer dealing with your file but more than likely they'll just talk crap and fuck things up.
- They make up shit, "we can't send faxes" when trying to get them to fax something they'd left til the very last minute. "We don't have the account facilities to do a BACS transfer" bollocks you bank with Barclays now give me my deposit back.
- They don't understand the concept of time and so leave everything to the last minute and are then suprised when the sale goes wrong.
- They lie. Something sent by RX (think that's the right name)with them manages to take a week instead of being next day.

If you are unfortunate enough to already be trying to deal with these people I do have the direct line and mobile number for the manager of Countrywide Plc who is responsible for CPL and is a good person to complain to. Razz

Annabella

PostPosted: 16:07 - 27 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say we ever had those problems.

We had two designated solicitors from Countrywide, and their direct numbers. Throughout the process they were really helpful and efficient even when Northern Rock buggered up our mortgage offer several times.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:20 - 27 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Which office of theirs were you with? I ended up with their Northampton office who were nothing but crap and the seller was with their Cardiff office who seemed equally unhelpful.

Suzuki
Roger

PostPosted: 16:34 - 27 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ours were in Manchester.

However, I spoke to the Northampton office on a number of occasions and found them more than helpful.

Maybe it was just you? Laughing

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:02 - 27 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

- They lie. Something sent by RX (think that's the right name)with them manages to take a week instead of being next day.

That'd be DX Wink

I I work for a company that makes software for solicitors and other legal houses. They aer all as bad as each other! No organisation, no internal communication and they are all happy to blame someone else when it all goes tits up!

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 00:17 - 28 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that suzuki reckons its illegal while his other half reckons its not.

I think the firm has a dudley office and a wolverhampton office, so might be ok if each client is with a different office but it would still be doubtful if that would be a good idea really.

It looks now like I am going to have to ask the buyer to change solicitors, as the other decisionmaker on my side, wants us to not change solicitors.

I have a feeling the buyer is a bit of a control freak of the type who kicks up a fuss over little things so I hope this doesnt annoy him and jeopardise the sale.

We all want a quick sale so I hope it doesnt delay things.

I would quite like it if we were using a solicitors that uses a call centre, as you can ring and check on things even when its not office hours. I had this when I bought my house and it was very handy. I think we are just going to use a local solicitors tho.

Annabella

PostPosted: 11:23 - 28 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:
Interesting that suzuki reckons its illegal while his other half reckons its not.

Read the post Razz

The same company of solicitors can work together but not the same person.

RickHolt
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:33 - 28 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:

Funny really, I thought that was how all couples work... with everything.

Annabella

PostPosted: 13:03 - 28 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

RickHolt wrote:
Funny really, I thought that was how all couples work... with everything.

Nope, we always agree on everything!

Don't we dear Wink *twists Jon's arm behind his back*

Laughing

Harold_Shand
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:46 - 28 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sick

Harold_Shand's theory might be the best explanation.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 15:55 - 28 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annabella wrote:
colin1 wrote:

Read the post Razz

The same company of solicitors can work together but not the same person.

ok maybe you 2 didnt disagree, and anna just described it more precisely

the legal secretary I deal with says what anna said, so two different conveyancers in the same office can work for each client

i still think its a bit dodgy, but it will mean things get dealt with quicker so its probably worth the risk

im not sure the other executor is going to like this as they want the buyer to change their solicitor

i dont want to annoy the buyer in case they do a runner as they havnt had a surveyors report yet

hopefully the other executor will come round tho.

TOM M
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:14 - 28 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:

im not sure the other executor is going to like this as they want the buyer to change their solicitor

Why?

Born2bVile
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:07 - 28 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, as I've worked for solicitors for the past 22 years, I can safely say that one firm can act for both parties, providing there is no obvious conflict of interest.

If one arises, the firm may suggest one party instructs another firm, but it very rarely happens.

In most conveyancing, the solicitor is acting for two parties anyway, the client and the Mortgage company.

LH-ER5 wrote:
I work for a company that makes software for solicitors and other legal houses.

Which one? I've used a few over the years. Mainly from the accounting perspective, but I generally end up supervising the entire system Rolling Eyes

Cheers,

Byrnie
Fellow of the Institute of Legal Accounts Managers
Member of the Institute of Legal Practice Management

flat spot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:37 - 29 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my house from my Mum. As she lives in Australia I was essentially selling the house I lived in to myself.

If you can use the same solicitors it's a bonus as they tend to give you a deal on the price for the conveyancing fees as both parties have to pay a fee. I'm not sure if this would apply in your situation but maybe you could deal with the buyers to get a reduced rate.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 3 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1