BCF: Bike Chat Forums

University

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

RooRoo
Anal Intruder

PostPosted: 13:54 - 28 Apr 2006    Post subject: University Reply with quote

Recently I've decided as I'm now 20 and have no qualifications, I really need to start being a bit more responsible and working out what I'm going to do with my life.

When I was at school I messed about, which means in terms of qualifications I have nothing. Yesterday I read in the paper that a university college near me is doing an adults fast access course to university, basically you spend a year in full time education and dependant on your results you can go university, obviously better results after the year is up means better university. I know all my friends are at uni and they all enjoy it, but I'm a bit worried about the seemingly huge loan I have to take out to fund 3 years there.

Could anybody give me any advice on this situation, maybe it would be better doing something else?
I really like the idea of this, but then I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Cheers

Lawnie
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:16 - 28 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about the loan. If you graduate on a £20k salary (albeit pretty unlikely), you'll be paying back something in the region of £25 a month.

More information: https://www.hmrc.gov.uk/students/tma-repaying-student-loans.shtml

RooRoo
Anal Intruder

PostPosted: 14:19 - 28 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah thank you Smile

I know this is probably a stupid question, but going to uni..That should increase my chances of promotion by a fair bit when older right? It's just that everybody seems to go these days and instead of being a good qualification, it's more of the 'average'.

tribal_tiger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:21 - 28 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's around £25 a month per loan you get. 3 years = 3 loans = £75 per month.

I did a 4 years course and had a loan each year.

and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Loved every second of it. What sort of thing would you want to study?

A lot of places now ask for a minimum of a degree. It depends on the type of job your going into. It does seem to help with promotion in some places. (The army a good example) again it's all down to the type of work and the company you work for.

All of it.

Last edited by tribal_tiger on 14:23 - 28 Apr 2006; edited 1 time in total

Lawnie
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:21 - 28 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well experience is just as good as a degree. So, 4 years after graduation, you should have the edge over someone similar but without a degree.

Cue loads of "worthless bit of paper" replies. That's fine. There is no ideal way to get ahead in the world.

Lawnie
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:22 - 28 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

tribal_tiger wrote:
that's around £25 a month per loan you get. 3 years = 3 loans = £75 per month.

I did a 4 years course and had a loan each year.

Is that so? Ah well, still not that bad though.

tribal_tiger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:24 - 28 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob84 wrote:

Is that so? Ah well, still not that bad though.

Nope, but then I got my student overdrafts and student credit cards, then switch to another bank for another overdraft and another credit card.

I'm shit with money!

All of it.

RooRoo
Anal Intruder

PostPosted: 14:31 - 28 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment I have no idea, I'm not sure what I can study at university with the course I'm doing at the uni college.
Out of the choices I can take, it's divided into different subjects, then further divided into modules..I was thinking sociology, and psychology both looked pretty interesting, and they're two modules in the same subject..I don't think the subjects I do at college directly dictates what I have to do at uni though, not too sure to be honest.

tribal_tiger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:35 - 28 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally you just need a set number of "points" so you should be able to study most things. We had people on a IT degree with A levels in drama and art. The first year of a degree is pretty much bining everyone up to a set standard. Real work starts in year 2!

I know Plymouth does a degree in Surfing if you fancy it!

All of it.

RooRoo
Anal Intruder

PostPosted: 14:36 - 28 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah alright, so I guess however well I do on this access course defines what uni I can go to, to be honest I'm not really sure what would be a good subject to go into. I'll have to do some research and find out what suits me best.

tribal_tiger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:38 - 28 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you do something that interests you. If it's not something your into you'll never finish. Some people on our course did IT cos you can earn good money. They tend to be the ones that drop out after 5 months.

All of it.

Lawnie
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:40 - 28 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

tribal_tiger wrote:
Make sure you do something that interests you. If it's not something your into you'll never finish. Some people on our course did IT cos you can earn good money. They tend to be the ones that drop out after 5 months.

Oh yeah! What did that TV advert say? "Average IT earnings of £37k"? What a load of rubbish!

They must have conducted their research in 1982.

tribal_tiger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:47 - 28 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could program games! 30K and a company car!

MY ARSE!!!!

I was on 30K near London as a DBA. I've changed jobs now and dropped down to 19K, but I got to move away from London so I'm actually better off than I was before! And it's a lot nicer area!

All of it.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:03 - 28 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you go to university do something useful like engineerin architechture something that is a professional career choice , media studies or games playing (where at salford they play games for a whole term) might seem fun but are essentially useless.

qualifications are also a helluva lot less important than experience and knowing how to do stuff ,

don't worry about the loan the government figures don't add up considering the piss small amount you have to pay back , its highly likely unless you start earning 30K and get 5K extra a year you'll never pay it all back and it'll be written off.

Though such loans stay with you even if you go bankrupt the rules changed.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WR450_geezer
Nobody likes me

PostPosted: 17:16 - 28 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go now or next year then dont forget the University 'Top-up fees' of £3k per year pushing the average debt of a full time student nearer to £20k.

If you wait till you're 21 can you not apply as a mature student in which case qualifications are irrelevant. I might be wrong about this though.

WR

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 17:19 - 28 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone said, if you go, do something worthwhile.

Engineering, Maths, Any Science, Economics etc. Do not waste your resources and tax payer's money on non academic degree courses like "computer games", "netball", "media studies", "tourism" etc.

As you said, degree courses may be classed as 'average' these days. Therefore it follows that without one you are under average, so it's worth it.

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 17:24 - 28 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

RooRoo wrote:
Ah thank you Smile

I know this is probably a stupid question, but going to uni..That should increase my chances of promotion by a fair bit when older right? It's just that everybody seems to go these days and instead of being a good qualification, it's more of the 'average'.

dependson the course.. as said "proper" degrees will almost guarantee a reasonable job at the end of it, and graduating in Enginerring doesn't mean you have to be an engineer for example.

My cousin (BEng Hons) is a consultant with Andersen Consulting, doing project management on IT projects.

My dad, (BSc Hons/CEng) is now ,manufacturing mechanical equipment

I'd class proper degrees as things like engineering, applied/pure mathmatics, physics, chemistry, biology, etc...

such things as Business, marketing and many of the arts courses provide so many graduates that it makes it hard to compete, and some degrees (media studies for example) are next to useless in the real world. Not to say there is no future with them, but the chances are rduced.

a
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 3 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1