Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Family stuff.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

MementoMori
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:17 - 30 Apr 2006    Post subject: Family stuff. Reply with quote

Say if you're having trouble at home, find the living conditions difficult and would like to get away to somewhere for a bit, is that possible?

I'm just a college student with no money and my only option is going round friends' houses however half of them won't be able to let me stay too long, maybe a night. I have one or two that could probably let me stay a bit longer than that, but is this my only choice?

I don't suppose there are places you can go in these situations?

Thanks for any help or advice.

Paul@125power
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 16:52 - 30 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are youth hostles you could go to that help young people in your situation and sometimes in certain cases they can find grants and funding for you to help you get a flat or place of your own with enough to cope. Thumbs Up

I was in the same situation myself a year or 2 ago. I went down to my local civic centre were the council is based and asked for help and advise. (well, I went to the Citizens advise bureau and then the civic centre).

Good luck matey Thumbs Up Smile

Yamaha YQ100 (RIP)......Honda CBR125R
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MementoMori
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:07 - 30 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much, it's a relief to hear there's other places about! Will I need to get a job to support myself though? This might be difficult cos my exams are coming up, although I'm pretty much gonna fail them anyway. But yeah, will I need to get a decent job?

Thanks again.

Paul@125power
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:12 - 30 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely yes. You will only be supported so much.

But, there is light at the end of the tunnel. If you are going onto university, when you apply for grants and loads there is extra stuff for independant students including everything from extra financial grants to vouchers off cloths and equipment.

Even though you will more than likely have to get a job it isnt that bad. Best places are those like ASDA and Morrisons that let you do part time hours during term times and at holidays full time or extra hours if you wish.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MementoMori
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:31 - 30 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant, thankyou! I've run out of karma things for today so shall rate accordingly tomorrow.

Erm, just to throw a spanner in the works, my parents are moving to NZ in October. Is it possible to... OK if I moved out now so that effectually I was on my own from now on, it is possible to lead a fairly normal life once settled? Unfortunately, I didn't apply for Uni this year cos I thought I'd be going to NZ but now things aren't as certain.

I know the Isle of Man is currently looking for people from overseas... well the UK and stuff for employment or is this a bit too ambitious for the next couple of years?

Sorry for all the questions!

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 17:33 - 30 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a boyfriend who has his own place and move in.

alas, i dont live in coventry, and you might find commuting to college from dudley on your rs50 a bit hard work

you could borrow my rs125 tho i spose...

Paul@125power
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:41 - 30 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isnt too ambitious at all. If you feel like doing it, go for it.

You can still apply for university now. Even all the dates have passed you can still apply for courses through clearing.

It will be possible to lead a normal life. About 18 months ago I was registered as homless (literally, I even decleared homlessness), still had to manage to get to college while not being entitled to a penny because I was still at college doing over the 16 hours minimum allowed to able for financial help. But now, I live in a house that I get help with paying the rent and get other bits and bobs to help me on the way. I even now have enough to keep my bike going Very Happy

I start university in september and will be getting extra help their because I will be an independant student.

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 18:05 - 30 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:
get a boyfriend who has his own place and move in.

alas, i dont live in coventry, and you might find commuting to college from dudley on your rs50 a bit hard work

you could borrow my rs125 tho i spose...

Dirty old man Rolling Eyes

Laughing
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650 Present:G650XC,C12,KZ750,1190ADV
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 18:18 - 30 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

tatters wrote:
Dirty old man

Spot on, or does the word begin with P? Thinking

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 18:31 - 30 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

cant blame a guy for trying Smile

if she found a bloke by her, she wd be sorted tho

ash t
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:43 - 30 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Down To your family upping and leaving.

But, there is hope.

Your best bet would be to find someone to take you on in an apprenticeship maybe?

Its not all manual work either, you can be an apprentice accountant etc.

I wouldnt advise that you take up colins offer, as hes old enough to be my grandad.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 19:10 - 30 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ash t wrote:

I wouldnt advise that you take up colins offer, as hes old enough to be my grandad.

well as im 30, i must have made your mum when I was 12, and she must have made you when she was 12, which makes you 6.

i think you are bit bit young to ride that 400 at 6 years old tho Smile

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:02 - 30 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

MementoMori wrote:
Erm, just to throw a spanner in the works, my parents are moving to NZ in October ... cos I thought I'd be going to NZ but now things aren't as certain.

If it turns out that you DO go to NZ, its possible you could register for University there with not too much difficulty. Their academic year starts in February, as opposed to the British one, which starts in September.

So if things become more settled, and you ended up going there with them in October, you've got a few months' grace to sort out things to apply to the Universities there.

You sound like you have quite a few problems that are pulling you down. Does your college offer a counselling service, or can someone there (or even your GP) refer you to a counsellor? You sound VERY stressed.

I hope things work out for you.

queen of string
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:07 - 01 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of years ago a new funding called supporting people was used to create "young People's foyers" . these are for young people like yourself and provide accommodation and support to help you stay in education adn employment. The accommodation should be at benefit levels and you would also receive support to maintain your tenancy and more general support for you. You can access these by visiting your councils housing advice centres. round here theyre called one stop shops and are in shopping centres and the town halls. You can also visit www.spkweb.org.uk on the right about half way down theres a link to a directory of all the services in the uk. you can search the directory for services in your area and approach them directly. I use this funding for a similar group in my business Smile . Hope this helps. they do tend to be over subscribed but persist, they often have vacancies at short notice and tend to be safe supportive places to live. pm me if you need to.

MementoMori
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:06 - 01 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much, I didn't realise there was so much help available. This has really lifted a weight off my shoulders, so I really appreciate it.

If I do fail my A2 exams, is there any way of picking them back up later in life? I'm not sure I'm gonna do well enough to get into Uni.

Again, thanks for the support. Karma Thumbs Up

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:22 - 01 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

MementoMori wrote:
If I do fail my A2 exams, is there any way of picking them back up later in life? I'm not sure I'm gonna do well enough to get into Uni.

Since you have AS levels, you should be able to go back to college and do one a one year A level course. When I was at college, quite a few people were doing that. Some colleges are more flexible than others though.

MementoMori
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:50 - 01 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Nath. That reminds me. I can stay and do a third year here. That would be the perfect situation. If I can talk to the Council like people have suggested, it seems likely that I would be able to get some form of support and redo my A2s, whilst living in some place that had been set up for me, if I get a job aswell.

The reason I'd discarded that idea was because I thought I wouldn't be able to afford staying here alone.

But that definately seems a possiblilty now. Is this feasible?

Thanks.

Craggles
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:58 - 02 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following on from queen of string's post, I know of somebody in Coventry lived in a place called "The Foyer" while he sorted his life out.

His life has really moved forward since being there. He's got the grades he wanted at GCSE/College (maybe) level and now has a solid job, and is renting a house with people he met a the Foyer.

All I know is it is near the Center. If you really draw a blank I can call some friends and get some details for you.

Best of luck,

Craig
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 364 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1