Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Can't seem to motivate myself...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

damnas
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 00:15 - 02 May 2006    Post subject: Can't seem to motivate myself... Reply with quote

I'm 21, this is my 3rd first year (changed course three times...) and it's coming to the end of my first year, I've got 3 courseworks due by 2 weeks time, and I can't seem to find any motivation to do them!

I know that if I don't do them, I'll fail, and god knows what will happen then. I also know that if I knuckle down and get on with it, I've got the ability and the knowledge to do them to a good standard, and pass.

I just cant seem to get started. I always make an excuse for myself, and do something else. I tend to work best under pressure but this is cutting it a bit fine! Maybe I should see a doctor? Waiting list is at least a month, I don't know.

Shall I just get on with it and stop being a pansy? I don't know, I always want to sleep, I'm lethargic, and ALWAYS tired.

Evil or Very Mad Thumbs Down

Suggestions?

We're the weeeeest stand, we're the weeeeest stand, we're the west stand Highbury! *sheds tear*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kam
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 00:27 - 02 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

sry, cant help u, im EXACTLY the same Sad its gay being this lazy, i hate it! Its like every1 has an advantage over us! People think they are more clever but its not that, its cos we cant be arsed!! gonna HAVE 2 start revisin for my A2 exams tho, not far off now and i need 2 get in2 uni Sad really wanna do Pharmacy. I think once i get 2 uni, doing what i really like, i will try harder. Think maybe u lack enthusiasm cos u aint doin what u truly wanna. Which course u doin now?

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 00:50 - 02 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i fucked up with my degree too and had to repeat my second year but did scrape a pass.

If you make'ah fuck it' your moto, other people will just fuck you over.

You need to sort yourself out, plan, organise, eat properly, exercise, and drink coffee.

It amazing how much you can get done if you have some coffee.

Dont have faith in doctors to help you, sort yourself out. Its quite possible doctors could put you on mind warping stuff that would really fuck you up for a long time. Just say no.

damnas
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 00:50 - 02 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind my course, it's marketing. Not really that exciting, but I messed around too much at secondary school and didn't leave myself with too many options for later education! Crying or Very sad

I'm really into music, but didn't see the point of doing a course as it would get me nowhere I couldn't have gone without - I'm already in a band etc.

I just lack the motivation, I need someone to give me a swift kicking up the arse! Any takers?

My girlfriends doing Chemistry and Warwick University, straight A's as well...at least she'll be earning the money while I'll be riding in the wind...still being a fresher at another university, haha

We're the weeeeest stand, we're the weeeeest stand, we're the west stand Highbury! *sheds tear*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:51 - 02 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.mcdonalds.be/images/logo_mcdo.jpg

Motivated yet?

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 01:06 - 02 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

damnas wrote:

My girlfriends doing Chemistry and Warwick University, straight A's as well...at least she'll be earning the money while I'll be riding in the wind...still being a fresher at another university, haha

Dont expect her to stick with you through thick and thin if she becomes super-successful and you become her embarassing loser boyfriend. Girls are quite status conscious.

Im not trying to be mean, just giving you some motivation, cos if you dont sort yourself out, you will probably lose her.

This applied to me so could quite possibly apply to you.

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 09:28 - 02 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've all been there. The enormity of what you have to do makes you completely apathetic to it.

I left my second dissertation right until three weeks before the deadline.
I spent two weeks working really hard, in between going out on my bike, seeing my friends, going on dates with the delightful Suzuki and getting drunk with my mum at lunch time (stress does funny things to you Wink )

You'll reach a point, and it'll be the latest possible time, where you will just get on with it.

Think of it in this way, it's a case of a few days working really hard to improve the quality of the rest of your life. Just have a sit and make a plan of action. Tick off each bit as you do it, and the work will soon disappear.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

damnas
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:41 - 02 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha Laughing

Yeh cheers for the comments.

I've given up hope on doctors a long time ago, so I think I'll just go with the coffee, making plans, and just getting it done. I'll have to start sooner or later.

.....anyone good at maths?!

Laughing

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 11:52 - 02 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try us... I scraped through A'level (so don't trust any answers I give you). Analysis I'm fine with, my second dissertation was mathematical analysis so it's worth a shot.

But another brain always helps, and as I am at home doing boring finance, it will be a relief to look at something a little more interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

damnas
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:32 - 02 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, are you sure??

I'll send you a quick PM!!

Cheers! Laughing

bazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:58 - 02 May 2006    Post subject: Re: Can't seem to motivate myself... Reply with quote

damnas wrote:
I'm 21, this is my 3rd first year (changed course three times...) and it's coming to the end of my first year, I've got 3 courseworks due by 2 weeks time, and I can't seem to find any motivation to do them!

Spend an afternoon in a Jobcentre, people-watching. That should motivate your lazy arse.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:18 - 02 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I particularly dislike my laziness. So if you find a solution, please share Wink.

From someone that could be much happier in life, I can only suggest that it is worth it and you just have to knuckle down and get into it.

Distractions are a bad thing for me, so I would probably try and ban yourself from activities that take up your time (like BCF), maybe introducing strict time limits; ie one hour (and no more) internet and one hour TV a day, or similar.

tribal_tiger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:44 - 02 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found I was the same way. I couldn't work unless i had "THE FEAR"

For those who haven't ever had "THE FEAR" Leave a year long dissertation to 10 day before the hand in date. Then read what you have to do!

Still, that's the way I work best, and I got a desmond which i was happy with.

All of it.

tokarev
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:47 - 02 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just got to not think about it and just do it.

I have two second year exams for uni in exactly 1 week and I haven't even started revision yet. Neutral

I am like you, need to motivate myself or I am going to end up being a loser for the rest of my life. Sad

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 15:58 - 02 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it doesn't interest me, I'm screwed.

You just have to be harsh with yourself, don't allow yourself to do something you do want to do until the thing you don't want to do is done.

I'm really glad that internet access wasn't so common when I was at school, cos getting the 'net in my flat when I was at uni was the kiss of death for studying!

The sleep thing... sleeping too much can make your feel just as shit as not sleeping enough. Or if you're stressing about how you've not done any work, you won't sleep well, which all becomes rather self-defeating.

TOM M
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:11 - 02 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bendy wrote:

Im exactly the same Thumbs Up
Ive got 5 exams (1st year) comming up within the next week or so and i havent even done the smallest bit of revision. THinking about it i havent got much work to revise from Confused
Im hoping i dont fail Sad which i think will happen Shocked

MementoMori
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:02 - 02 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, such a relief to know there are so many people out there with the same issue.

I have exams approaching, some resists this month and my main ones next month. I have a 4-hour philosophy coursework thing that I need to revise and remember so I can sit it next week, and I'm still not entirely sure what the question is.

I don't have an excuse, I'm just disgustingly lazy. Like people have said on here, if it doesn't interest me, I just can't be arsed. Which is leaving me in a very difficult situation as far as my grades that affect my near future go.

Unfortunately, like you I don't have a solution. I just leave everything untill a few days before the deadline, get "THE FEAR" and work my ass off, day and night to get it done. Luckily, I can usually do this to a decent standard but I nearly died of stress when I did this for my AS exams. Literally, I thought my kidney had exploded.

I wish I could be strict on myself but I have no self discipline whatsoever. I'm more interested in doing what makes me happy than what bores the shit out of me, yet will be better in the long run.

Good luck mate. Thumbs Up

Last edited by MementoMori on 22:03 - 02 May 2006; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:03 - 02 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bendy wrote:

I'm 30 and still suffer from this. Very Happy

Paivi
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:33 - 02 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could suggest something, but I just can't be bothered... Wink

What might help with dissertation and revision is to do it in a place that offers little mental and physical stimulus, i.e., a uni classroom, not your own bedroom. Studying at home gives you so many other, more interested things to do, such as watching Home & Away etc and surfing on the net.

Set yourself a schedule and stick to it. Don't be too ambitious, you'll only slip. Aim to study 6-8 hours a day, with a lunch and a couple of shorter breaks in between.

Go and find an empty classroom or check with your parents if their offices or meeting rooms could be used for this. Leave your mobile at home, as well as your money so you really cannot go to the newsagents to buy crisps. Take a packed lunch and fruit with you, and just study. Amazing what you can do in just a short time when you put your mind to it.

If you're getting seriously worried about your lack of revision, and this is due to a situation at home, you could try some monasteries & nunneries (obviously depending on your sex), as some do offer this type of stay (usually limited to one or two weeks). You are expected to get up when they do (even as early as 5.30am) and do your bit (gardening, laundry, cooking) for your upkeep. In return, you get total peace to study. These places are probably fully booked by now, though, but might be worth your while checking your yellow pages for a religious order.
anders This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

damnas
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:31 - 04 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers fella!

Update! 1 coursework done, 2 to go! 6 days to do them in. SHOULD be okay Smile

Harley Godzisz
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:08 - 10 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

put it this way...

Last yar when i was at college, i was doing BTEC ICT 1st Diploma. it's a piece of piss, but i just could not be arsed to do (what is basic simple stuff to me) the work.
Over the whole year we had 6 module's to complete - about 6 assignments a module.
I left it right up till the last week to do the work. i also dossed around and missed atleast 50% of the lessons over the year.

Out of 35 people in my class, only 14 got a grade.

10 got a Pass
3 a Merit
and 1 a Distinction

I only got the fcukin distinction didn't i!! Very Happy Very Happy
I got the best grade through out the whole class... when my best mate finished all the work in the first half of the year, he only got a pass!

You WILL pass... just ddo a tick list and the work WILL get finished rather quickly!

Just drink lot's of Red Bull and Coffee together with high doses of Pro-Plus. It works.... Thumbs Up

Jamie.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:16 - 10 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent done this personally, but try not eating anything with hi fat \ sugar content. Find something healthy you like. Do 20 situps, 20 pressups and 20 crouches a day and you "should" feel better and your mind "should" be more stimulated. My brother done this when he was un-employed and says he feels shit loads more better and has got really into fitness now because of it

But like you, I honestly cant be arsed doing it, Even tho I know I will feel better and it will actually give me something to do with my time instead of riding my bike then wanking myself to sleep every day Mr. Green

zxr400baby
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:59 - 10 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

definately get out of your 'comfort' environment. I had 2x4000 word essays to write, a 3000 word research project and exam revision. I stayed in an empty student house over easter in an attempt to get some work done, but didnt really get much done.

Went to the library, made quite alot of progress, also got a huge kick-up the arse off my boyfriend, hes been a complete star. Sat and watched my revision tactics, read and re-read my essays, and it all came down to how much time i wasted.

Look at this way, your paying to be there, you might as well get the most you can from it. I started the process of dropping out, talking to my tutors and stuff, i have had a massive change around since january, going from a low 2:2 to a 2:1.

Find out works for you and go with it, dont feel stupid and try new methods, i found reading stuff out loud worked for me. 1 day into finishing my exams, and i am bored....believe it or not, you will be here too before you know it, where online tetris is the central engagement in your day!

Good luck mate

byke95
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:48 - 11 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
I particularly dislike my laziness. So if you find a solution, please share Wink.

Quality sentence! Thumbs Up

Ask yourself what you want to get out of your course, why are you there and could you get what you want another way?

Changing course three times suggests you don't know the answer to these yet, or are just not cut out for Uni (if that's where you are).

Try and look beyond the coursework, to something that will be of benefit to you (and this is depedant on the answers to the questions above). I am not an academic person but I know what I want to 'be' job wise, it so happens that this'll take me on a very academic route. Whenever I feel apathetic I just remember why I'm doing it all in the first place.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 357 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1